THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q*bert

Knows what a fatty is.
The only thing better than eating your BBQ is babysitting the pit right? Right?? Ha!! Well, with a little help from my tax refund I finally bought something I've wanted for a long, long time. A pit temperature controller. I went with the Party-Q by BBQ Guru.
The unit arrived well packaged and included the Party-Q, a 6' long probe, batteries, & instructions. The output thread on the Party-Q is 3/8" and there are adapters for sale for all the various mountings & smoker types on the market. They have adapters for 2" & 1 1/2" ball valves, but I have an UDS with a 1" ball valve so I just made my own.
I got my pit started, & as it got close to temp, I turned on the Party-Q and set my desired temp. The fan kicked on and got to work. I had my trusty Maverick in the pit as a backup & so I could monitor it from inside the house. The probe is equipped with a clip at the end so you can clip it to your grate.
I kept an eye on things pretty closely all day, & I must say it was the most hassle free smoke I've done. The Party-Q kept the temp within +-10 the whole time, and according to the instructions it "learns" your pit so maybe, as time goes by, it'll dial it in even more. I've never done a brisket but always wanted to. I'm confident that I could do an overnight cook, & even get a little sleep with the Party-Q standing guard.
Overall I'm very happy with the Party-Q & look forward to many happy times together.:wink:

Attachments

Last edited:
I had wondered how the small fan would work out on a drum.....
You shouldnt need to worry about a brisket on the uds even without a controller, the drum should run steady enough to run mostly unsupervised, I usually start a brisket around 3, drink a few beers, check it one last time and go to sleep on the couch untill the gorgeous red head wakes me up to ask what the hell am I doing sleeping on the couch. Then i check it and take a nap until I smell coffee. My system, free of charge to you my friend..........

I had wondered how the small fan would work out on a drum.....
You shouldnt need to worry about a brisket on the uds even without a controller, the drum should run steady enough to run mostly unsupervised, I usually start a brisket around 3, drink a few beers, check it one last time and go to sleep on the couch untill the gorgeous red head wakes me up to ask what the hell am I doing sleeping on the couch. Then i check it and take a nap until I smell coffee. My system, free of charge to you my friend..........

Your timing method is priceless and very similar to mine.

Back