THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SpammyQ

Take a breath!
I was going to smoke an 8 lb pork butt this weekend, but because of the storms I wound up doing chicken instead. The weather was clear and the butt was prepped, so I figured I'd try my first overnighter.

Here she is, trimmed and rubbed, ready to go on.
100_1090.jpg
Fired up the WSM minion style, with a full ring and 15 lit coals, along with 3 apple chunks about 8:30PM. Also prepped my first fatty, stuffing it with shrooms and cheese, and rubbing it a little with the butt rub.

About 10:30 or so, the fatty measured 165 degrees, so I pulled it, here is what it looked like. It tasted great!
100_1093.jpg
100_1094.jpg
Went to bed about 11:00PM, with the WSM pluggin along at 245 degrees. I awoke at 5:30am to discover that it had rained a bit in the wee hours of the morning (so called cause that is when I get up to wee) and checked the temps. The WSMwas running about 210 degrees. I opened the access door and gave her a stir, still plenty of coals, but I threw a few on for good measure. The butt temp was 154 degrees.

Went back out to check the butt at 7:00am and temps were right around 180, I foiled with a little apple juice and put her back on for another hour. Pulled the butt about 8:00 and stuck it in a cooler till 1:00PM. She was still nice and hot, here it was, ready for pulling -
100_1095.jpg
and pulled.
100_1096.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Jim

Nice job Jim!
Water pan? Clay saucer? Sand? Piedmont pan? What kind of rub, what kind of fuel?
We NEED.TO.KNOW.

I love how you can cooler those butts and they hold temp for hours.

Harbormaster, I use the standard water pan with a foiled clay saucer (12"). It makes clean up so much easier, and it hasn't effected temp control at all for me. I used kingsford briquettes, and a top secret rib rub I can't share under penalty of death, but I can tell you its good. Sorry I can't share it.

BTW, glad to hear you survived the storms, we got HAMMERED here as well, lots of flooding a trees down. I live on a hill, so no major issues here, other than 7 inches of rain in 2 days.

Back