First Overnight on the WSM w/Pron!

SpammyQ

Take a breath!
I was going to smoke an 8 lb pork butt this weekend, but because of the storms I wound up doing chicken instead. The weather was clear and the butt was prepped, so I figured I'd try my first overnighter.

Here she is, trimmed and rubbed, ready to go on.
100_1090.jpg
Fired up the WSM minion style, with a full ring and 15 lit coals, along with 3 apple chunks about 8:30PM. Also prepped my first fatty, stuffing it with shrooms and cheese, and rubbing it a little with the butt rub.

About 10:30 or so, the fatty measured 165 degrees, so I pulled it, here is what it looked like. It tasted great!
100_1093.jpg
100_1094.jpg
Went to bed about 11:00PM, with the WSM pluggin along at 245 degrees. I awoke at 5:30am to discover that it had rained a bit in the wee hours of the morning (so called cause that is when I get up to wee) and checked the temps. The WSMwas running about 210 degrees. I opened the access door and gave her a stir, still plenty of coals, but I threw a few on for good measure. The butt temp was 154 degrees.

Went back out to check the butt at 7:00am and temps were right around 180, I foiled with a little apple juice and put her back on for another hour. Pulled the butt about 8:00 and stuck it in a cooler till 1:00PM. She was still nice and hot, here it was, ready for pulling -
100_1095.jpg
and pulled.
100_1096.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Jim

Nice job Jim!
Water pan? Clay saucer? Sand? Piedmont pan? What kind of rub, what kind of fuel?
We NEED.TO.KNOW.

I love how you can cooler those butts and they hold temp for hours.

Harbormaster, I use the standard water pan with a foiled clay saucer (12"). It makes clean up so much easier, and it hasn't effected temp control at all for me. I used kingsford briquettes, and a top secret rib rub I can't share under penalty of death, but I can tell you its good. Sorry I can't share it.

BTW, glad to hear you survived the storms, we got HAMMERED here as well, lots of flooding a trees down. I live on a hill, so no major issues here, other than 7 inches of rain in 2 days.

Back