First Full Competition Practice Cook (w/Pron)

Just a word, no matter how smooth everything is going through the nigh, about 15 to 20 minutes before turn in time things can go to hell in a hand basket real fast. Good luck with your first one. :becky:
Dave

Can, like it's possible? How about WILL!! Absolutely, without any doubt,
just when things are cruising all hades will break loose. You'll have too
much of this, or too little that, or not done, or too done and falling
apart, or a gigantic wind will come up and have fun with 'ya... It's all
part of the fun.

I can't access the pics on my phone - but I can't wait to see them when I get home! I owe you a PM, I haven't forgot. I'll get it to you after Easter!

Here are some more pics. I am extremely happy that I hit all of the turn in times.

Chicken done and turned in.
Chicken1.JPG

Chicken2.JPG

Ribs done and turned in.
Ribs2.JPG

Ribs3.JPG

Pork is done and turned in. Hands down the best pork I have ever cooked.
Pork2.JPG

Brisket is done and turned in. My best brisket to.
Brisket2.JPG

Brisket3.JPG

I knew I had a few sauce marks but didn't think they looked that noticeable. I had to reuse the boxes so keeping things clean were a challenge. I will have to watch that more closely next time.

Nice job brother smoker...a few suggestions...if I may...

Lighten up on the sauce a bit on the chicken and ribs...you want a glaze...not dripping...

Fill the boxes up with parsley to just below the lip of your boxes and wipe off any sauce smears...try not to have any stems showing...only the tops of the parsley...

If turning in chunks (burnt ends) with your brisket...be sure there are enough for all the judges (6-7)...

I think you're ready man...go get 'em! :cool:

Lighten up on the sauce a bit on the chicken and ribs...you want a glaze...not dripping...

Fill the boxes up with parsley to just below the lip of your boxes and wipe off any sauce smears...try not to have any stems showing...only the tops of the parsley...

If turning in chunks (burnt ends) with your brisket...be sure there are enough for all the judges (6-7)...

I learned a couple of important things on this cook and one of them is to cut the burnt ends a little smaller. :-D

I was reusing the boxes so I knew they would be a little messy but I didn't see those sauce smears until I viewed the pic.

Thanks for your input JD.

I wad thinking about the same thing JD. Only other thing I noticed was on the ribs. The bottom tow seem a good bit smaller to me. And the way they were sitting was almost distracting to me when I looked at it. But all in all good job Rich on the first attempt.

Nice going Rich, everything looks great. It looks like you did pretty good for your first full practice. We did our first full practice a few weeks ago and it's almost like Deja Vu reading your post. We had the same problem with a partially frozen butt. But we got through it.

If you dont have one yet, I highly recommend coming up with a cook schedule and tweak it as you go. It really has helped us so we dont forget anything. Also make sure you try to make note of stuff you forgot to do or areas you see that need improvement. Best of luck with your comp!

Nice going Rich, everything looks great. It looks like you did pretty good for your first full practice. We did our first full practice a few weeks ago and it's almost like Deja Vu reading your post. We had the same problem with a partially frozen butt. But we got through it.

If you dont have one yet, I highly recommend coming up with a cook schedule and tweak it as you go. It really has helped us so we dont forget anything. Also make sure you try to make note of stuff you forgot to do or areas you see that need improvement. Best of luck with your comp!

Thanks for the advice! I wrote down what steps I took and at what time I did them but I think I should have wrote down items to pack. Oh well - I guess I just have to do it again real soon.

Back