First Fatty on my Weber with Pron

IllinoidRick

Knows what a fatty is.
Made my first fatty this morning. Well it came out kind of a skiny, minor problems getting it rolled.

Love this forum, have learned a ton of BBQ knowledge in a short time! Thanks everyone!

Used Tennesse Pride mild sausage and stuffed it with onion, green peppers and one clove of finely chopped garlic. Lightly dusted with my favorite rub. I had a horrible time getting the thing rolled up. I had the sausage flattened out to long and not square. Might have pushed it too thin? Everything was sticking and I destroyed one end. Had to mash it into shape. Was the sausage too warm?

Set up my Weber Kettle for a small fire with KBB and hickory to one side with the fatty and a pan for drippings on the other side. Never tried anything like this on the Weber. Wanted 250 to 300 deg but got 300 to 350 deg no matter what I did with the vents. Was my fire to big? Which vents should I use to adjust temps?

Fatty came up to 150 very quickly and then hung out for about an hour slowly rising to 190. Pulled off at 200 deg and covered with foil as we made eggs and English muffins for breakfast sandwiches.

Total cook time was 2:15 at an average of 310 deg. Has a nice smoke ring and great flavor. Made a great sandwich. Just for kicks dribbled on some Carolina style BBQ sauce my wife had made. This was the added kicker the sandwich needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 270
use the vents on the bottom to control temps and leave the top vent wide open. make small adjustments and let them go 15-20 minutes before making another adjustment. I start with nearly a whole chimney of lit charcoal and control the temp with the bottom vents.

Pork is done at 160. I usually go nekkid to 165 because my wife freaks out if it is pink in the middle.

Looks Great! I'd hit that.

Sausage might have been too warm...also, I put the sausage in a gallon bag and smash it out evenly, then cut the bag open, lay in what I want for stuffing, then use the bag to help roll eveything up. Practice!:grin:

I think I posted last year (?) about my fatty tool.

I used approx 6 inch piece of 1-1/2 PVC pipe and made a plunger that closely fits. (hole saw + all thread).

I make the innards' and pack the PVC pipe and put it in the fridge/freezer to solidify. I use cheese. I use the plunger to get a solid pack. The innards are normally cooked enough to avoid under-cooking in the fatty.

I use plastic wrap, sprinkled generously with whatever rub I use to help the sausage to not stick. Then, roll out the fridge temperature sausage, making it long enough to have a good overlap and wide enough to close at the ends.

Then, I use the plunger to push the innards out of the PVC pipe on to the center of the sausage. Having the innards cool enough to solidify helps greatly.

Using the plastic wrap, I roll up the fatty. I securely wrap the fatty in the plastic wrap and put it in the fridge until I get everything else ready. I sometimes make a bacon weave. Do a search, there is a thread on doing that.

I unwrap the fatty and gently place it on the grill.

From here, I like 250 to 300 degrees for 90 minutes, check the temperature...

Tom Dean

Last edited:
That looks a bunch better than my first fatty did. Looks like it was cooked about perfect. I still have to patch break through spots after rolling if I roll out flat.

Sometimes I just leave the chub in the roll, cut it open and stuff everything in the slot. Then you just carefully cut off the wrapper, pinch closed the opening, wrap or dust, or whatever and into the smoke she goes...

The guys here have already talked about temp and time....

VR,
Harold

Looks Great! I'd hit that.

Sausage might have been too warm...also, I put the sausage in a gallon bag and smash it out evenly, then cut the bag open, lay in what I want for stuffing, then use the bag to help roll eveything up. Practice!:grin:

Gallon Ziplock holds a pound sausage at right about 1/2" or a little more thick.....

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2015.jpg

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2016.jpg

Cut the sides & peel back....

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2018.jpg

i've found a couple things for stuffed ones.....
Chill each step of assembly seems to help a lot & if items are used for stuffing that will create liquid (peppers, onion, etc.) then add a little Panko bread crumbs in to kinda soak the liquid up a little & it won't make the sausage go so willy-nilly.....

If the bacon's making me nervous, just cheat with skewers.........

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2037.jpg

Great instructions for a piston up above, thanks, Tom D.....that'll keep stuff tight !!!

use the vents on the bottom to control temps and leave the top vent wide open. make small adjustments and let them go 15-20 minutes before making another adjustment. I start with nearly a whole chimney of lit charcoal and control the temp with the bottom vents.

Pork is done at 160. I usually go nekkid to 165 because my wife freaks out if it is pink in the middle.

Pretty much all accurate at our house, too.......trick is to not get nervous.....just make a move & wait a bit to let it settle.....
For something like a fattie, I wait a little extra right at the start, maybe 20~25 min. to see where it's running before adding food......

Nice fatty, Buckie.

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2022.jpg

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2048.jpg

Pastrami, Swiss & cream cheese "Deli Fattie"....personal favorite here........

How much Kingsford blue for my first fatty in a Jumbo Joe? In fact my first cook on the Jumbo to christen it.

What ever gets you about 275 indirect, grate level......

Also depends a little on what it's made up of, the food, I mean......stuffed, maybe a bit hotter.......

Back