First Brisket

Out of the cooler....done resting.

picture.php

Ready to eat.

picture.php

How was the final product?

I thought it came out pretty good. Was not tough at all,but the flat was a little dry. Point was almost perfect,so I think maybe a half hour less,and maybe all would have been good. I am still very pleased for my first one.

Great job Larry. The way I would tell on my first briskests if they were under or over done was if the flat slices cut 1/4" thick were easy to tear or crumbly or a tougher chew, harder to pull. Crumbly and comes apart easily...over cooked. Harder to pull, tougher chew....needed longer on the heat. Could be a 1/2 hour difference.

Looks great to me. I am not a wrapper as I have said before and that is just my personal preference from experimenting over the years. Don't get me wrong, I will wrap if it comes down to serving on time vs. not eating but try to plan for enough time unwrapped. One reason I don't wrap is if you look in your picture after you unwrapped from the foil all the juices in the bottom could have been left inside the brisket by not wrapping (maybe not all but most). I also remove the pooling of liquid if I happen to look like Beentown suggested. My cooking temp is generally 250-260 but I don't fret if it runs up or down for a little bit. I also put my brisket on cold or 30 minutes or so out of the fridge after letting it sit overnight seasoned.

Not the only way....but how I do it.

Keep at it anf find what woks for you.

Congrats on a fine cook. Some day I will do my brisket. Hop it turns out as good as yours.

Looks great to me. I am not a wrapper as I have said before and that is just my personal preference from experimenting over the years. Don't get me wrong, I will wrap if it comes down to serving on time vs. not eating but try to plan for enough time unwrapped. One reason I don't wrap is if you look in your picture after you unwrapped from the foil all the juices in the bottom could have been left inside the brisket by not wrapping (maybe not all but most). I also remove the pooling of liquid if I happen to look like Beentown suggested. My cooking temp is generally 250-260 but I don't fret if it runs up or down for a little bit. I also put my brisket on cold or 30 minutes or so out of the fridge after letting it sit overnight seasoned.

Agree with the above. A sure fire way to dry out a brisket is to rest it in foil. I've stopped wrapping mine altogether and they are consistently very good to great.....except when I accidentally set the warming drawer to 170 degrees on Saturday. Turned a perfect brisket into a brick in just under 3 hours.

Great job Larry. The way I would tell on my first briskests if they were under or over done was if the flat slices cut 1/4" thick were easy to tear or crumbly or a tougher chew, harder to pull. Crumbly and comes apart easily...over cooked. Harder to pull, tougher chew....needed longer on the heat. Could be a 1/2 hour difference.

"Crumbly and comes apart easily...over cooked" was mine. Lesson learned. Thanks for all the help.

I was thinking afterward I might try one unwrapped,next. Thanks.

Back