First Brisket. [Where did I screw up (or did I)?

I would get back to basis. Keep flat/point together. Raise your pit temp to 250-275, pick a single (paper or foil) wrap method, or no wrap and stick with that till you got it. Dont change anything.

If you keep changing everything every cook, you wont know what helped or hurt your next cook. Also keep a journal and take detailed notes each cook of what you did each hour and the end results. Use that as a reference for the next cook.

That would be changing many variables as well! I did both cooks with the point and flat separated, and almost all at 225 (ramped up heat to 250 and wrapped only for the last little bit of the first cook).

But, yes, I agree with changing few variables at once. If I was to do the next cook right away, I would do it at 225 still, separated still, and change only one of either wrapping or injecting.

Why do you recommend keeping them both together and raising the temperature?

Why do you recommend keeping them both together and raising the temperature?

Top Texas joints dont separate. Theres just no need to. There's no separating, no butterflying, no injections, no 225. Just quality meat and heat.

24myr8o.jpg

35lclqt.png

1zfrmzp.png

2m5c8px.png

Hot and fast @325...

2ewjtxx.png

Tejas is ranked 6th best in Texas. And they are not waiting all day for 225.

11tritw.png

2v1w6ds.png

15gdt00.png

Million ways to cook a brisket. None of them are wrong. But you cant argue these results.

Last edited:
I think keeping it whole allows for the super fatty point to help with the not as fatty flat. Then the wrap raises the stakes further by acting as a braise.

Obviously, you will need to separate the point if you are planning on doing burnt ends; however, you can keep it whole until the time comes to make the burnt ends.

Best part about all of this experimentation is that you get brisket at the end of it. Keep working on it!

Best part about all of this experimentation is that you get brisket at the end of it. Keep working on it!

I don't think you know how much meat costs up here ;-)

Last one was about 7kg (15.4lbs) and was $116 CAD (about $88 USD at current exchange, but, of course, I don't benefit from that!) I know our meat regulations are allegedly way more stringent, but so is the price.

That makes sense for not separating, but why the higher temperature?

Because pjtexas1 told me it was better....:shock:

Nah, I won't blame it on Paul, but to be truthful most folks are just trying to hurry the process. You don't have to, I try to cook around 260* myself.

Brisket can be cooked at just about any temp, heard a story from a friend, very good cook, he did a brisket on a drum and the gauge went all the way around and back to the bottom. He had the paint bubbling on the top of the drum, it was a comp in the middle of Texas. His 2.75 hr cook got him a brisket championship.:bow:

You do have to flip frequently if you do something that crazy, he just got drunk and overslept.:doh:

This weekend's homework...

https://imgur.com/a/8FOGnan

(it'll fill up with more pictures once I do more. It's just trimmed for now, and it's dry brining.)

Plan is to leave this one whole and to wrap it.

We'll see what happens!

Why did you cut all the fat off? You should have left a layer of fat on it. Fat is flavor. Also depending on your cooker it can be used as insulation from the heat.

Watch Aaron Franklins video on brisket trimming. Keep it simple.

This weekend's homework...

https://imgur.com/a/8FOGnan

(it'll fill up with more pictures once I do more. It's just trimmed for now, and it's dry brining.)

Plan is to leave this one whole and to wrap it.

We'll see what happens!

Hopefully that is just the silver skin side? You need at least 1/4" of fat to protect the meat. If you don't like fat, just scrape it off when serving. That's what they did in the 80s before fat became king!

And ignore the hot and fast comments... you can go between 225-275 and be fine. It may take a few more hours but it gives the fat ample time to render down to jelly. H&F gives you a shorter window for this to happen.

That makes sense for not separating, but why the higher temperature?

If you want to retain the highest margin for error while you’re learning and practicing, keep cooking brisket low and slow.

It has become more fashionable recently to cook it hotter and faster, but your window between undercooked to overcooked will shrink, and you don’t need that. Hell, I don’t need it and I’ve been smokin brisket for 30+ years.

Last edited:
If you want to retain the highest margin for error while you’re learning and practicing, keep cooking brisket low and slow.

It has become more fashionable recently to cook it hotter and faster, but your window between undercooked to overcooked will shrink, and you don’t need that. Hell, I don’t need it and I’ve been smokin brisket for 30+ years.

This. And if you don't have to tend a fire, low and slow let's you sleep late, especially if you skip the wrap.

kf4_KVp_Cy_UYBUk_QMe_IMa4x4_V0k_Vz_Bb_ay_Il_AHDwf_L_QG_Ev_Bf_ZXEDOn_Ff_LRap_Lb2jy_QQNR45bya8xw_HG2_OT6h_TOy_VD2rg_MJC_OBOEYKf8x1_Pf_nf_L_TATZ9_J4o_F0_Qm_Rgm7_HUm_O61o_TMB4_Z9_Jt_NXc9_Hw0p_Iux12qk_OFp_EIez_Eu_WOr_Z2q2_BG4_PJO7nobm_Mm_Ynq8r5_Mbp9_L0x8mkca_Rx_IKw_V2_DLs6d5vk9_Cfk_FZGnr_FTLJxv_Hshzpm_Cfje45_QXDkj_NQ.jpg

PV6w_X3_R6_E_ZPZT3zkh_Fbudw_Hb_PU0_Yq_T2s_Av0_Ljn_Fbhv_Nk_Hn_PJAk_Tl_RQN87_RDWwi_Is_KB_tb0_VWu4mg_Tv_Gn_Ej_YNv_M_un_V9_FWE_Sm_P9hli8_Dq_Nr_Jt_Wu_Jo_T2dk_Mi4_Iie9q_Uhcfx_Trt_j_GNur0_Pl_TH6_Np_IWTj_Bz_o3nr_Y8b_Swq_VXG3_EIj9_Fx_DRS9m7g_M3yob_RBl_Oed_Zh_HBSLSg_AIQho52dpmu_TLxdro_SDCg1_YIh_Q_kd_Gi_D_SHPp5_Ty9_Nvt523e_Lj.jpg

Yeah, I tend to trim aggressively. Some of the people I'm serving don't like fat, but I agree that I should have left a tiny bit more on.

There's tons between the point and flat, still, so hopefully it should be fine.

So @philb, how did it turn out?

Don't know yet. The guests requested dinner instead of lunch, so I got up at 3am and put it on at 4am. We're only four hours in.

It just got wrapped as the internal temp was 160 and starting to stall.

To be honest, I'm violating my rule and using the "cheats" before mastering the very basics. There's a good reason for it. Sit down and have a beverage (I'm still on coffee over here), let me tell you a story...

A few years ago, a very good friend of mine got into BBQ. Like most of us, he fell pretty hard. He threw a party once a year that I've been going to for years, and I'd often help man the pits, and then some (he was also very good at making you do the work and somehow making you think it was your idea:p )

He even "suckered" me into going to a fundraiser BBQ competition with him back in 2016. And he lives about a 6 hour drive away!

He liked it so much, that he was in the process of starting his own BBQ business. Weekend thing, had a little shack built next to a local restaurant, got some more WSMs, was testing all his recipes...

And then he suddenly died of lung cancer.

Well, one of his dying wishes was that we still do the party. I'll be showing up early and helping to prep with his wife (who knows some of the rubs and sauces he used, but did none of the cooking). Now, in his freezer are a few briskets, and a few pork butts and bellies.

The pork butts and bellies are no brainers (we smoked some of bellies a few years ago, and I just pulled them like the butts so people could mix and match. He had started actually cutting them into strips that looked kinda like ribs, and people apparently went bezerk over them.)

But I want to serve people good brisket. Quite frankly, I served a bunch of his last year, but didn't really sample much. The flat was definitely dry to me, but...I don't know how often he cooked brisket.

The party is in just a few weeks. So today I'm testing if I can produce something juicy and good with the "cheats". If this way gives me good results, I'll do it this way in a few weeks. So I injected this one with a little broth, and wrapped it (I didn't add any liquid when wrapping, but it had lots of surface moisture on it when I wrapped. I suspect that means my bark won't be great, but so be it...like I said, it's a learning experience.)

I might make a jus on the side, just also as a potential saviour (and also because people like it!).

So, yeah, this one is definitely a labour of love, and it has a sense of urgency I've not usually had when playing around. I know my good biker family won't hold me responsible if I serve them something I consider sub-par, and they also know I'm going to be harder on myself than they could be. Most people are just happy to get fed!

When I get back, I'll probably play some more and see if I can get good results the "traditional" way.

Last edited:
Well, now it gets interesting...Poking it after 8 hours and a bit, and...holy crap, it's between 201-203...I need to take a closer look...

https://imgur.com/8h074Cd

Hmm...but it doesn't feel like butter, quite. Now, from the liquid (I didn't add any in the foil), I know damn well the thing should be juicy this time.

So I think, well, just put it back on, and check every half hour until I'm sure it's tender. But, of course, opening the foil (and I ended up re-wrapping and transferring the juice of course) means the internal temp now dropped to 174 or so.

Do I let it come back up which may take a while? I think I will check it in after the half hour, and then potentially stick it in the cooler.

Is it possible that this thing is done in under 9 hours when cooking at 225?

Well, checked again after half an hour...and again later (internal temp had climbed back up to 190 or so)...still didn't feel right, then I told myself "Self, what if all the layers of foil are fooling you?" So I peeled the foil back at the top, and probed...feels darn tender to me!

Wrapped everything back up tightly, and it's presently in the cooler. We'll see when the guests get here, which is in another 2.5 hours or so.

Total cook time at 225 was just about 10 hours (which seems real low to me), but wrapped after only 4 (that's when it was stalled at 160.)

Hopefully, I didn't screw up another $100 chunk of meat!

Back