First brisket - questions

Apple and Cherry are all I use, but I like it with pork.

This will be my first attempt at beef. What better attempt with beef then BRISKET, I love it. If I had the same luck with pork, my beef will be just as easy. It did take a few pork butts to get it just right but that is the fun.

Nothing like eating your mistakes, better then a doctor all they can do is burry theirs.

I don't think the fruitwoods have enough "smoke power" for brisket but, as usual, I could be wrong.
Oak, hickory, mesquite, and maybe pecan are all I'd use.

Arlin_MacRae said:
I don't think the fruitwoods have enough "smoke power" for brisket but, as usual, I could be wrong.

Too many irons in the fire mod for me today. I probably use pecan as much or more than anything else. Prefer the coals and heat from oak if I'm burning sticks. Use a couple of Mesquite splits when I start the fire usually, for that really hot/fast burn to get the pit up to temp.

Thanks for the save Arlin. :D

The apple wood will be a little lite in the smoke dept. Try pecan mixed with mesquite, oak or hickory. I found peach wood is also very nice. Don't go buy any wood. I'm sure there are enough of us Texans that would ship you 20# of mesquite, oak or pecan, for 20# of apple or hickory. Also, serve the sauce on the side if at all. Most brisket sauce is warm and very thin, and not sweet. Hope it turned out well, as I'm sure it did.

I am just counting the hours till I start, some time tonight.

I wish I know more about cutting and drying wood, I have to order my wood. I am thinking about putting in a request in the paper for wood see if I can score any wood, I would love to just try and find 10 - 15 logs I can put in my smoker just to try it out, I think an all wood cook would be even better. But I have no where to find that type or kind of wood.

If I had free access to apple wood I would more then be happy to trade wood, that would be sort of cool to have a wood trade, but it might cost a arm and a leg on shipping.

I am just counting the hours till I start, some time tonight.

I wish I know more about cutting and drying wood, I have to order my wood. I am thinking about putting in a request in the paper for wood see if I can score any wood, I would love to just try and find 10 - 15 logs I can put in my smoker just to try it out, I think an all wood cook would be even better. But I have no where to find that type or kind of wood.

If I had free access to apple wood I would more then be happy to trade wood, that would be sort of cool to have a wood trade, but it might cost a arm and a leg on shipping.

Mesquite is all I use on brisket, but be careful as you can get a HEAVY smoke taste if you use too much. Plus it burns hotter and uses itself up fairly quickly. Thing is...that stuff grows like weeds down here...easy to find. Pecan is about as light of a smoke as I'd use on brisket. Oak and Hickory are probably your best bet.

I use cherry on brisket and have had no complaints. Cherry and apple is what I have most access to so if anyone wants to swap some cherry and apple wood for pecan, I'm all for it.

My first brisket was not that bad, the flat was a tad dry but the point was moist, I did have to put in the oven for a while because I could not stay a wake. I was not all rested before I started, but all in all was not to bad for the first time, I will try it again for sure.

The first time I cook something new I get a little scared but now having it under my belt I will not be afraid next time.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jorge said:
Arlin_MacRae said:

Too many irons in the fire mod for me today. I probably use pecan as much or more than anything else. Prefer the coals and heat from oak if I'm burning sticks. Use a couple of Mesquite splits when I start the fire usually, for that really hot/fast burn to get the pit up to temp.

Thanks for the save Arlin. :D

Hey Jorge, I got a big bag of pecan I'd sell ya :lol: ... used it once on chicken when the store didn't have any apple left. I didn't care for it much.

How much?

Is it logs, chunks or chips?

I am looking to try log's of wood, I already use chunks, I would like to try something new.

Re: RE: First brisket - questions

Jorge said:
You can find a ton of info and opinion on cooking a brisket in the Roadmap section above. Take a look at that and then fire away with any additional questions you may have.

Where is the Roadmap Section? Thanks.

RE: Re: RE: First brisket - questions

Take a look at the top of each forum. You'll find a note labeled ROADMAP:.

Welcome to the group. If you have any questions post away. You'll get lots of answers.

And head over to cattle call and introduce yourself.

Back