First Brisket on UDS

CHuynh22

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Hey everyone,

First time smoking a brisket on the UDS(second cook). This will go on tonight around 3AM, plan to smoke around 225-230 until 160-170 and then wrap in butcher paper until probe tender. Hopefully this will be done by 3PM and have enough time to let it rest for a few hours and eat at 6PM.

Prime brisket started at 11 lbs. got a good deal at sams club for $2.50/lb.

Rubbed with simple salt, pepper, garlic, onion, little paprika. Injected with beef broth, Worcestershire, and some of the rub.

Any recommendations and or guidance would be appreciated!

Attachments

• E5500C29-B4A8-4E5E-8CA8-8C2CA7DA80FE.jpg
    E5500C29-B4A8-4E5E-8CA8-8C2CA7DA80FE.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
  • D231CF59-DF3F-42D9-B907-597F670714C9.jpg
    D231CF59-DF3F-42D9-B907-597F670714C9.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 73
I would maybe cook a bit more hot and start later (earlier?) 275* on a drum, at least. I prefer a bit hotter cook for a cleaner burn resulting in a cleaner taste on the meat. Check for probe tender texture as an indicator it’s time to pull, instead of internal temp. Smooth like buttah, and a rest of a couple hours at least, and you’ll be on the road to brisket nirvana :thumb:

I would maybe cook a bit more hot and start later (earlier?) 275* on a drum, at least. I prefer a bit hotter cook for a cleaner burn resulting in a cleaner taste on the meat. Check for probe tender texture as an indicator it’s time to pull, instead of internal temp. Smooth like buttah, and a rest of a couple hours at least, and you’ll be on the road to brisket nirvana :thumb:

Hey thank you ! I was worried about it drying out by cooking a bit hotter.

It is a myth that cooking at higher temps will cause dry meat. Your drum will most likely settle in somewhere around 250-300F. I would let it run where it likes, and adjust your overall cooking time accordingly.

FYI, many members here would call cooking at 225F "Warming the meat to death". Why do that when you can get better results in less than half the time by cooking at higher temps?

If your meat is done earlier than planned, it is perfectly fine to let it rest for a very long time. I've rested brisket for 6+ hours, and it was still within food safety temp guidelines, and tasted great.

I always run hot and fast but, just did a longer cook at 275* and now going to stick with the 275* as it turned out great!

275 is the new low and slow or as one crazy brethren says, "275 is the best all around bbq temp". If it's ready too early that's better than too late. Brisket will stay hot for hours if wrapped up and put into a cooler. I used to cook 350-375 but have been relaxing the last few years and going 275-300. I can always bump the temp up if it seems to be taking too long.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back