Decided to treat family/friends to a SRF brisket…

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Robb
Easter lunch is almost here and we’ll have a houseful after church. Peeps are providing the sides, and I’m doing the proteins (Texas style brisket and apple butter glazed ham). Will start the ham early Sunday morning. The brisket however will be a little more challenging as my schedule tomorrow and Sunday morning is quite hectic.

The plan: Brisket went on at 6pm this evening. Gonna run it very low n slow… guessing it’ll be done tomorrow evening around 6-8pm. Yep, 24+ hours. At that point I’ll let it rest on the counter until it comes down to 150° and then place in the oven for an overnight hold at 170° still covered in butcher paper. Will pull from oven one hour before lunch and allow for one more rest. Hoping for melt in your mouth goodness come Sunday afternoon.

The beginning…

4eb6951dcef551c2deac04662f8c6978.jpg

a1f76618b92bb3ff52810b86f864dbe4.jpg

a63db9c05f50054ffe5e4099aacb55f9.jpg

Checking inboxes.....

The other one....

One more....

I take it from the lack of invite that I am neither friend, nor family

:)

Looks great Robb, Happy Easter

Have you done a hold at 170F for this long before? I would be concerned that long in the smoker wrapped in BP, then the long hold at 170F might turn the bark into beef jerky. I personally would put into fridge and reheat @ 170F an hour or two before serving time.

Checking inboxes.....

The other one....

One more....

I take it from the lack of invite that I am neither friend, nor family

:)

Looks great Robb, Happy Easter

Sorry, brother… your name leads me to believe the drive would be quite long for a slice of brisket and ham… lol. That being said, if you’re ever in the hood we have an open door policy at my house. You are more than welcome to join us :)

Have you done a hold at 170F for this long before? I would be concerned that long in the smoker wrapped in BP, then the long hold at 170F might turn the bark into beef jerky. I personally would put into fridge and reheat @ 170F an hour or two before serving time.

Not quite 12 but I have done some long holds. A good amount of spritzing before the stall, some beef tallow at the wrap, and I’ve never had jerky bark (knock on wood). I do know guys that hold 10-12 hours regularly.

Instead of wrapping in BP, decided I’m gonna try the foil boat method. This will be new to me. Learned it watching influencers on the tube… lol.

Just pulled at the stall and about to make and place in the “boat” fat cap up…. and bump the cook temp a bit…
c71c621a4711ed6ea3d2a29b554e463e.jpg

d7072c99dc0b30a0f0cc72e9ab279876.jpg

Foil boat is the way to go. BP breathes a lot so for long cooks/holds it dries out. BP basicly wicks moisture.

Don't get me wrong, BP is good for a short cook where you want to speed up a stall, but dont want to soften a bark. But in your case a stall shouldnt be an issue if you want to do a long 24h cook, and 12 hour hold.

Back