Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy....

But then .......this is how almost new smokers end up on Craigslist for 1/2 price ----- so that's a plus for some folks. :thumb:

But then .......this is how almost new smokers end up on Craigslist for 1/2 price ----- so that's a plus for some folks. :thumb:

Or a minus for vets looking for half price cookers on Craigslist :mmph:

Your cooker use whatever your comfortable with. Pretty simple concept. I chuckle when folks freak out when some mentions using Kingsford Briquettes in an Egg.

Your cooker use whatever your comfortable with. Pretty simple concept. I chuckle when folks freak out when some mentions using Kingsford Briquettes in an Egg.

Yeah, I may be missing something here, as heat is heat regardless of how it is caused/maintained. (Type, amount, taste and or preference aside) There is a problem with the amount of ash that one over the other produces. In the Egg there is a design issue with ash buildup causing a problem or so I have been told. If you can work around that, then use whatever you have on hand would be the answer I would think.

Probably why I don't have an Egg. (not to mention the $$$) But if there were only one type of smoker/cooker then there would not be a need for this conversation or this forum. :cry: :cry:

Omar

See, this thread is me to a T. I was so into the BBQ I could put out from my WSM, but I knew the next step in my "progression" was a stick burner. Unfortunately, it wasn't a good step for me. And I wasn't about to force my stick burner to try and do something it wasn't built to do (even though I did by a charcoal basket for it). Hey, hard knocks. We live and learn. I am sure I am going to love my new cabinet...

Smitty, I just stumbled onto this and read the first couple of pages and then the last two. It sure sounds like me. I was wondering lately if I should use more lump and less wood in my stick burner. Thankfully some good folks talked me off the ledge. I still like to start with a good load of lump to get a good bed of coals, but splits from there on. I noticed in some of the first posts that you were not too fond of charcoal baskets. I use one to keep my coals all together. What is your peeve about baskets. Just curious. Thanks, Joe

Most guys with baskets try to run on charcoal. most find out the pit doesn't run well - low temps or they can get temps but burning 2-3 bags a cook then complain it cost too much. :loco:

If you can fit splits in your basket - cool - but a raised grate is all that is needed and usually easier to add splits.

REDNECK CHARCOAL BASKET
IMG_20160113_133407.jpg

IMG_20160113_141042.jpg

I agree with SmittyJonz on this. I had an offset stick burner and loved it. Had it for 7 years before it pretty much rusted through. Well, it was a chargriller so the steel was super thin but at $200, decent setup for my needs at the time. I started off using charcoal cause that's just all I really knew at the time. I stopped using briquettes years ago and started using lump, which I still use but I also use a lot of splits and logs. All depends on what I'm cooking.

I currently have a medium big green egg and an 18" weber kettle. The hardest part for both setups is adding wood. I'm at a point where I would love a new stick burner but I'm somewhat limited on space. I do prefer wood over anything else. I need a dedicated stick burner though. I miss mine.

Last edited:
Go vertical.

Why don't YOU go vertical!

(Just kidding...)

I'm thinking for now of doing a barrel insert mod with a door for the Weber. Kinda like a WSM I guess but it would have some different features. I have a guy to do any cutting/welding, just need to find a 30 gallon steel drum!

I just bought my 2nd stick burner , 1 st one was a cos , new one is worlds better , quality and knowledge is very important in owning a stick burner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 237
Hey Geoff, I know where you can get a great deal on a vertical offset. See the link in my signature... :mrgreen:

Hey Geoff, I know where you can get a great deal on a vertical offset. See the link in my signature... :mrgreen:

Too rich for my blood! Beautiful vertical and probably 6 more racks than I will most likely ever use. Although I would love to have a need for that many racks one of these days. Right now I cook for the occasional family get together and the rest of the time for me, my wife and my son.

Back