Figure it Out BEFORE You Buy....

Bump for newbies. Continue to see people with stickburners looking for wood after they buy the smoker, or looking to switch to a pellet grill because they don't want the work tending a fire.

These are good things to know about yourself before you buy. Then again, some of us are hard headed and have to experience it to know.

I want capacity and flexibility. stick burner seems to provide that and more the delicate flavor profile that comes with it. I have access to all the sticks i want (oak, hickory, pecan, apple) so I don't hurt for wood or a place to store it. currently been using a WSM for a number of years and I like it so far, but when a large cook comes up it is a nightmare. I like the convenience of coals but sticks are where I need to go in the future... I'm gladly willing to do the needful to get the flavor profile I want and the firebox tending isn't an issue.

Will not most stick burners also work with charcoal? My horizontal offset certainly will.

Its like takin a fly rod made to fish trout in a small stream to a large river and use it to make long casts swinging for adult steel head with large flies and sink tips. Different rods for different purposes. Yes they are expensive, they being cookers, but one size don't fit all! So you can have more than one toy.... Thats a good thing!
By the way if Franklin could fish he'd probably do just that just to see if he can.
But that's another story, most of us are not Aaron Franklin.
True

For me I usually choose my cooker based on the amount I'm wanting to cook and the time I can tend it. In Denver where there isn't a native source for smoking woods they can run $30-$40 for a cubic foot. I enjoy tending one of my offsets if its full otherwise it costs me to much and I'll ether use my pellet or charcoal smoker. I've tried to use charcoal in my offsets but I can't get the temps up high enough. I'm at about 6000 feet and that may be part of the problem.

Jon

I had a Klose stickburner between the ages of 20-23, loved it, but didn't even know nearly as much as I know now (and I still don't know sh**). However, moved across the country and couldn't haul or ship. Now I've got a teenager, a toddler, a busy job and a constant headache from the combination. I wish I had a stickburner again but I know I'd never have enough time to dedicated to it. I've got a WSM and I am half-azz refurbishing an older Stumps GF which work great for me until the time I can play with fire all day again.

I REALLY Wish one of Yalls - somewhat near me -would buy a Humphreys Pint and Decide you Hate Charcoal Smoking So Much that you Sold it to Me Really Cheap so you could get a Stickburner..........:loco:

Hobby
Addiction

Either or both- I don't see the big problem.

We should start some sort of support group, maybe?

Seems like it would cost alot of money to run a off set on just charcoal all day

I had a Klose stickburner between the ages of 20-23, loved it, but didn't even know nearly as much as I know now (and I still don't know sh**). However, moved across the country and couldn't haul or ship. Now I've got a teenager, a toddler, a busy job and a constant headache from the combination. I wish I had a stickburner again but I know I'd never have enough time to dedicated to it. I've got a WSM and I am half-azz refurbishing an older Stumps GF which work great for me until the time I can play with fire all day again.
I have a pit by jj which is just about identical to a klose (and built down the road from him). I put a bbq guru on it and wow. I can load up the firebox with as much wood as I can stuff in there and leave it alone for hours. Keeps a perfect temp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a pit by jj which is just about identical to a klose (and built down the road from him). I put a bbq guru on it and wow. I can load up the firebox with as much wood as I can stuff in there and leave it alone for hours. Keeps a perfect temp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Interesting. Never heard of this. Always hear this with charcoal. Wood chunks, mini splits or full size splits?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back