THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brew n Que

Knows what a fatty is.
I was lucky enough to get an Anova from my wife as my first father's day gift! So naturally, I had to go all out, and that meant a Wagyu steak.

HQz2Kecl.jpg

I seasoned with salt and pepper.

gnrJkf4l.jpg

I'll usually leave it at that, but I decided to throw in some thyme just for fun.

F9vBbJml.jpg

Into the vacuum sealer and into the water bath. Set the Anova to 129F for 1 hour.

oKz0InMl.jpg

I let it rest a bit after coming out of the bath, then took it out of the bag. I dried it off to get a better sear.

uFmJng6l.jpg

Then, it was into a cast iron skillet to sear. Grill marks got nothing on the sear you get from a good hot cast iron! I also threw some squash and zucchini into the hot pan afterwards to soak up some of that beefy goodness.

kjEdR3Zl.jpg

Plated.

FSeV48Kl.jpg

Overall, I like the sous vide setup. The Anova was really easy to use and convenient. The wagyu steak was everything it should have been, super beefy, tender, and very juicy. I was not perfectly happy with the sear on my steak. I think I need to cool the steak down more before searing so I can maintain med-rare from edge to edge. I think I also need to get the pan hotter to sear it quicker. I think I'll be doing sous-vide a lot more often now!

Thanks for looking!

Back