Father's Day Cook (not Q)

Brew n Que

Knows what a fatty is.
I was lucky enough to get an Anova from my wife as my first father's day gift! So naturally, I had to go all out, and that meant a Wagyu steak.

HQz2Kecl.jpg

I seasoned with salt and pepper.

gnrJkf4l.jpg

I'll usually leave it at that, but I decided to throw in some thyme just for fun.

F9vBbJml.jpg

Into the vacuum sealer and into the water bath. Set the Anova to 129F for 1 hour.

oKz0InMl.jpg

I let it rest a bit after coming out of the bath, then took it out of the bag. I dried it off to get a better sear.

uFmJng6l.jpg

Then, it was into a cast iron skillet to sear. Grill marks got nothing on the sear you get from a good hot cast iron! I also threw some squash and zucchini into the hot pan afterwards to soak up some of that beefy goodness.

kjEdR3Zl.jpg

Plated.

FSeV48Kl.jpg

Overall, I like the sous vide setup. The Anova was really easy to use and convenient. The wagyu steak was everything it should have been, super beefy, tender, and very juicy. I was not perfectly happy with the sear on my steak. I think I need to cool the steak down more before searing so I can maintain med-rare from edge to edge. I think I also need to get the pan hotter to sear it quicker. I think I'll be doing sous-vide a lot more often now!

Thanks for looking!

:thumb:

Did you dry the steak before searing? I think a hotter pan would help.

Back