Famous Dave's for Lunch!

I've read several threads on them over time and it seems that it really depends on the particular location. Some are bad, some so so and a few apparently are actually pretty good. Also, there have been good comments about their sides.

I'm surprised as well to hear all of this love for FD's. I must have a not-so-good one locally. The ribs are mediocre, but the brisket is okay sometimes... the times it isn't good it's like you just swallowed a shot of liquid smoke straight from the bottle. For whatever reason my girlfriend enjoys eating there so we do stop in from time to time. I usually order a burger :D

The cornbread muffins are excellent though lol

Stayed in Amarillo the last two nights. There was a FD right next door! Thought about going in but didn't smell ANYTHING! Chose Hooters instead. :wink:

There is a FD by me that we used to go to. When they first opened up they were very good and over the years they seemed to have gone down hill. The last time I went was at the request of some friends that were in town. The ribs were overdone and dried out, My wife had the brisket and it was underdone and very bland. However my friends seemed to like it. I still used their rubs and sauces, I do like the taste but thats about it for me.

Can you believe back a few years ago before I have my smoker, I was like a pent up virgin, had a gig in Memphis, bought 20 slabs of Corky's, emptied my suitcase and sent my clothes home via USPS just to take these home...

56e9655230a1dabfcf79523658651357.jpg

Now our abomination is called Pappas Barbecue

Plus, I bet they're better than that abomination known as Corky's that we have in Memphis.

Last edited:
Plus, I bet they're better than that abomination known as Corky's that we have in Memphis.

I went to Corky's in Pigeon Forge, TN and it was pretty good... except the brisket was really, really, really, dry. The sides were good, the ribs were good, and the pork was good. It wasn't Brethren-quality Q, but it wasn't a bad eat. So, I think location does matter with these chain joints.

I would imagine given that location and the competition it has to have there, that it would be better than Memphis. I mean, Dolly had a reputation to uphold! Truth be told though, I haven't been to a Corky's in Memphis in over 15 years and it's POSSIBLE (Remotely, at least...) they have improved. :becky:

I am always torn.

I've been to small one-off local joints that blow it away, BUT compared to nearly any other "chain" type place, it is King.

I am never in love with it, but unlike most bbq joints, I would NEVER say no to go there for a meal. That's about the best endorsement I can give it.

I have ate a quite a few of them in different states and have never walked away hungry nor thinking the food was bad..

The pickles are a staple in the fridge wish they were a bit spicier.. The only dig I would have on Dave's I am not in love with any of the sauces, they are serviceable for dinner but I would never buy any to have in the fridge.

Back