Experiments in Brisket #1 - Franklin v Lewis

you can seal the door with high temp rtv, just make sure you use wax paper so you don't seal the door to the pit while it cures. lol

So no real difference between the more complex Lewis rub and just plain old S&P? Less ingredients to worry about would be a winner for me and I'll be sticking to that for brisket rubs.

Thanks for the updates!

Ok, so I went back tonight and tried both briskets again. Honestly, this time I didn't taste any difference at all. I was really surprised. Just out of curiosity, I did some math on the Lewis rub, and it works out to the following by-weight percentages: 51% salt, 28% pepper, 21% other spices. I would think that the 21% would give some kind of additional flavor, but maybe it just can't compete with the amount of strong pepper flavor and beef flavor.

That Franklin brisket is rubbed WAY TOO LIGHT.....

looks great on the exterior! I personally use more pepper (having grown up in central TX). Looking forward to the sliced pics![/QUOTE]

I've been in San Antonio since 1950. Still here! Not in Colorado. That Franklin rub is right on!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...c=0&sigr=11a1n2fud&sigt=119h4socc&age=0&&tt=b[/QUOTE]

::starts slow clap::

easy there old timer. I spent 35 years in central TX. I've only been in CO for 3 years. Loosen up a little ;)

Thank you for all your work on this comparison brewncue! I guess I will stick to my "WAY TOO LIGHT" Franklin rub!

looks great on the exterior! I personally use more pepper (having grown up in central TX). Looking forward to the sliced pics!

I've been in San Antonio since 1950. Still here! Not in Colorado. That Franklin rub is right on!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...c=0&sigr=11a1n2fud&sigt=119h4socc&age=0&&tt=b[/QUOTE]

::starts slow clap::

easy there old timer. I spent 35 years in central TX. I've only been in CO for 3 years. Loosen up a little ;)[/QUOTE]

The WAY TOO LIGHT quote was yours. In your reply you have made it look like mine. Let's keep it real kiddo. :mrgreen:

Back