Exact instructions for judges... :-D

I said it bc it is a true statement. It is a regional flavor just as white sauce on chicken in Alabama, or straight vinegar sauce in Carolina and Virginia.

For their region they are balanced flavors. We just won first place vinegar sauce at Memphis in May...if I were to put that on pork and feed it to a North Carolinian CBJ judge, they would like it. If I were to feed it to the 5 other CBJ judges at the table from parts unknown, they would say it is not balanced. It is vinegary.

You take a gamble with regional flavors. That's BBQ.

Now, are those judges wrong...NO they are not. They can only assume you are going for Carolina vinegar sauce. But they are taught to taste for balance, and Vinegar sauce is not balanced. A good Vinegar sauce is in your face sour, with a little heat and great vinegar flavor.

Far from "balanced"

Same with Mustard, we got 8th place at MIM. It is just as above, judges would need to be trained what a balanced mustard sauce is. To them it is not balanced...that is going by what a CBJ is taught in class...balance

I think judges are open to creativity as long as there is that necessary BALANCE.

We had a piece of chicken on our table last weekend that had a wonderful honey mustard glaze. It did very well at our table. They toned down both the mustard and the honey so you had notes of both without it being overpowering.

Judges are far more open to things than cooks give them credit. The problem is that creativity is a learning process and will usually take a little trial and error. It's easier to just stick with tried and tested flavor profiles and make subtle adjustments.

> KCBS is the gold standard. The other sanctioning groups are fine, but KCBS is doing it the best.

I've competed in some fantastic KCBS cookoffs and some really crappy ones, some fantastic MiM contests and some that lack a lot to be desired, same for MBN, and for GBA I've only judged but I've seen some great ones and some crappy ones. IMHO, most of what you're talking about has more to do with the organizers than the sanctioning body. That said, IMHO, MiM/MBN sets the gold standard for judge training, certification, and instructions at every contest. I would suggest that you have to judge at least 5 if not 10 in every sanctioning body before we have a learned opinion on this. I think Tom probably has the most contests judged in the most varied sanctioning bodies. I would put a lot of weight on his opinion on this.

> You wouldnt have to give everyone the same supplies, they simply need to define the parameters for taste and appearance as they do with tenderness.

Ask yourself this: HOW would you define a taste parameter? I think you could define an appearance parameter, but honestly IMHO that would really take some of the creativity out of it. But taste, how on earth would you define what BBQ should taste like? MBN, MiM, and GBA instruct that the sauce should not mask or cover the taste of the meat, but that's HARD to enforce. By doing so though, the competitor runs a heck of a risk, having the 1 or 2 judges at the table who love the flavor of the sauce but recognize they aren't tasting meat and *ZAP* goes the score. Coming back, HOW would you define a taste parameter? The devil is in the details my friend.

> There are beer contests around the country. There are very clear guidelines on each style. The level of creativity and the ability of the brewer to express themselves and create a unique beer has not been limited by those guidelines.

No, but they dont define taste parameters. They define color and clarity and other beer characteristics, much like the sanctioning bodies define what they can with tenderness, but not in taste. Same with other cooking competitions. Chili, for example, doesn't define taste.

> I think KCBS should try heading down that road to help define their style of bbq, to further separate themselves from the rest of the sanctioning bodies, and to create better judging.

I'll harp on the "create better judging". That's a really loaded 3 words. Depends on what you feel is wrong with judging, doesn't it? For me, I think leaving taste undefined and up to personal preference is the competition. If the reality of pleasing 6 judges and not pissing any 1 judge off comes as news, I would suggest it's time to find another game. I mean this respectfully, but none the less serious. It's the same in every other cooking contest that I've competed in or judged. Please all the judges without ticking anyone off; that's the game.

Lulz...

KCBS is the gold standard. The other sanctioning groups are fine, but KCBS is doing it the best.

That is an opinion not a fact. What makes it the gold standard?

There are other bodies that divide their judge tables by how they score...KCBS doesn't.

There are other bodies that run official Bootcamps, that have experienced teams mentor less experienced teams...then have judges judge their food right in front of them for feedback. KCBS doesn't

There are other organizations that have judge testing procedures to ensure fair and knowledgeable judges...KCBS doesn't

There are other organizations doing some things better than KCBS. AND KCBS is doing some things better. But a Gold Standard it is not. It is just another sanctioning organization.

> There are beer contests around the country. There are very clear guidelines on each style. The level of creativity and the ability of the brewer to express themselves and create a unique beer has not been limited by those guidelines.

No, but they dont define taste parameters. They define color and clarity and other beer characteristics, much like the sanctioning bodies define what they can with tenderness, but not in taste. Same with other cooking competitions. Chili, for example, doesn't define taste.

Just for clarificaiton. BJCP does include flavor as a criteria.

I am sure that they could create the criteria to define KCBS bbq if they wanted to. They choose not to. What they will probably do is try and use data to create functionality and that almost never works.

I dont think it would be easy to define the criteria and obviously there would be a lot of hurt feelings and guys stomping around that they would leave, but at the end of the day you would have a much stronger contest.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_JudgeInstructions.pdf

BTW, there are beer contests, and then there are beer contests. Some do define it down to the amount and balance (or lack of) between hops and malt. You'll have categories for the many different lagers and more for the many different ale's. To do this, in BBQ, would be to set a definition for what constitutes this style of Q, and another definition for the next style of Q, etc. etc. etc. Sorry for the hijack.

That is an opinion not a fact. What makes it the gold standard?

There are other bodies that divide their judge tables by how they score...KCBS doesn't.

There are other bodies that run official Bootcamps, that have experienced teams mentor less experienced teams...then have judges judge their food right in front of them for feedback. KCBS doesn't

There are other organizations that have judge testing procedures to ensure fair and knowledgeable judges...KCBS doesn't

There are other organizations doing some things better than KCBS. AND KCBS is doing some things better. But a Gold Standard it is not. It is just another sanctioning organization.

Obviously it is my opinion.

Just for clarificaiton. BJCP does include flavor as a criteria.

I am sure that they could create the criteria to define KCBS bbq if they wanted to. They choose not to. What they will probably do is try and use data to create functionality and that almost never works.

I dont think it would be easy to define the criteria and obviously there would be a lot of hurt feelings and guys stomping around that they would leave, but at the end of the day you would have a much stronger contest.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_JudgeInstructions.pdf

Yep. BTW, I've competed in these also, back in the 1980's and 1990's, and have thrown away many 1st place trophies.... As best I recall, I had many 46's, a few 47's, and a 48 in there once.

They define what constitutes and India Pale Ale, or a Nut Brown Ale, etc. etc. etc. My specialty was the Nut Brown Ale, for what that's worth.

BBQ isn't defined this way, and honestly IMHO it would be a travesty to do so. Sorry for hijack.

Last edited:
Yep. BTW, I've competed in these two, and have thrown away many 1st place trophies....

They define what constitutes and India Pale Ale, or a Nut Brown Ale, etc. etc. etc. My speciality was the Nut Brown Ale, for what that's worth.

BBQ isn't defined this way, and honestly IMHO it would be a travesty to do so.

BBQ isnt defined that way?

If someone asked you what type of BBQ North Carolina was known for, I am guessing you could give them an ear full. If they asked about memphis, same result...

Would love to try your brown ale if you still brew.

I miss the brewing, but no longer have the space. That was back in my larger homes... Like Q, the key was attention to details, and for me the difference maker was the consistent temps... Oh, how much I've forgotten!!!!.... My favorite though was to make a darker lager malt, then hop it like that nut brown ale, making a very malty but slightly hoppy nut brown lager... Not a competition beer, but was my favorite (bringing in characteristics of something like Michelob's Classic Dark [which is long gone, unfortunately] and NewCastle Nut Brown Ale.

Back to your point, honestly, I disagree. NC or Memphis probably being 2 that can be more talked about, but even then (my background is more NC related) in NC they can argue that this characteristic or that is more NC style... I dont think that there is a definition to be had. Generalization, yes, but definition, I dont think so...
I just dont see it being realistic.

Honestly, for me personally, I like that it's not defined that specific. There is a "darn" factor in it, because I really like the Lexington style sauces, or a mustard sauce from SC that is a bit leaning toward Lexington (like Boshizzle's Shack Attack). However, these, even in NC probably would all fail at a competition. That to me is sad. But, that's the game...

Going the other way, were I to agree with you, any idea how many different variations/definitions there might be? I dont know, but I'm thinking about 15 of the more traditional regional (generalization) styles... At least 2 in NC alone. SC has it's own, possibly 2. GA is a middle-of-the-pack place, although Myron seems to disagree, and Pitmasters has their own opinion of a GA style that has Salmon in it (WTF is that?). AL, probably 2 different, one similar to GA another than embraces that white sauce thing... TN, there's Memphis style, and non Memphis. KY probably has at least 1 unique still encompassing Mutton. There's certainly TX style, and KC style, and a few variations on those... VA has its own set of a few styles... I'm just at the basics of the traditional BBQ areas, what about Pacific West?

I miss the brewing, but no longer have the space. That was back in my larger homes... Like Q, the key was attention to details, and for me the difference maker was the consistent temps... Oh, how much I've forgotten!!!!.... My favorite though was to make a darker lager malt, then hop it like that nut brown ale, making a very malty but slightly hoppy nut brown lager... Not a competition beer, but was my favorite (bringing in characteristics of something like Michelob's Classic Dark [which is long gone, unfortunately] and NewCastle Nut Brown Ale.

Back to your point, honestly, I disagree. NC or Memphis probably being 2 that can be more talked about, but even then (my background is more NC related) in NC they can argue that this characteristic or that is more NC style... I dont think that there is a definition to be had. Generalization, yes, but definition, I dont think so...
I just dont see it being realistic.

Honestly, for me personally, I like that it's not defined that specific. There is a "darn" factor in it, because I really like the Lexington style sauces, or a mustard sauce from SC that is a bit leaning toward Lexington (like Boshizzle's Shack Attack). However, these, even in NC probably would all fail at a competition. That to me is sad. But, that's the game...

Going the other way, were I to agree with you, any idea how many different variations/definitions there might be? I dont know, but I'm thinking about 15 of the more traditional regional (generalization) styles... At least 2 in NC alone. SC has it's own, possibly 2. GA is a middle-of-the-pack place, although Myron seems to disagree, and Pitmasters has their own opinion of a GA style that has Salmon in it (WTF is that?). AL, probably 2 different, one similar to GA another than embraces that white sauce thing... TN, there's Memphis style, and non Memphis. KY probably has at least 1 unique still encompassing Mutton. There's certainly TX style, and KC style, and a few variations on those... VA has its own set of a few styles... I'm just at the basics of the traditional BBQ areas, what about Pacific West?

I’m with ya brother…
So we are to go so far as define categories for contests?
Today cooks are to turn in:
Chicken – Alabama White
Ribs – Memphis Dry
Pork – North Carolina style
Brisket – West Texas Style
Because that is the only way defintions could work. You can’t expect judges to recognize every style of Q and adjust their palate accordingly. They would need exact definitions of each style…just like the beer reference.
You have entries into specific styles. Think of the Rib category as Dark Beer.
Right now you would enter the contest and be placed on a table with two stouts, a porter, a dopplebock, and a black IPA.
Now in defining BBQ those beers would have to all have separate definitions of balance and of taste due to each being a separate style. Same with BBQ. You define BBQ and each would be a separate category – ie. Memphis Dry, St Louis style, Kansas City style, Memphis Wet, etc.
Thus creating separate BBQ categories so that the judges can’t mistake one style for another…

If someone asked you what type of BBQ North Carolina was known for, I am guessing you could give them an ear full. If they asked about memphis, same result...

There is a HUGE difference between the "type" of BBQ North Carolina is known for and what is presented to judges in KCBS contests in North Carolina! What is typically found in restaurants and cooked by families in North Carolina is divided into four distinct "regions", NOT just the two: Vinegar (Eastern) or Vinegar with tomatoes (Lexington). In addition to these commonly known regions there is an area along the deviding line that is a hybrid of Eastern and Lexington with quite a vinegar twang but looking like red sauce, and the mountains with their thicker/sweeter red sauce on cubed pork.
While the "definition" of Q in NC has regional specifications, you will NOT find ANY of those "types" of barbecue winning in KCBS competitions in NC. Partly because of the fact that KCBS judges travel to judge beyond their specific regional areas. Last week in Apex, my table consisted of only three judges from the immediate area (of course, Apex is in that "no-man's-land" between "Eastern NC" style and "Lexington" style barbecue regions in itself), with one judge from the mountains, and one from Virginia. With these different backgrounds you will never get consensus from a "regional" perspective. There were also judges from Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania judging in Apex. Meaning, if you try to cook "regional" "type" barbecue to fit the location YOU (usually) WILL NOT WIN! As was evident on BBQ Pit Wars when all four teams decided to use vinegar on their meats.

Last edited:
Do you think all CBJ’s know all of these rules by heart…I don't
This is My cheat sheet I have printed out. I review it before I judge or cook, and have it on hand for questions.

I pulled out the guidelines that were first posted as to not double post. Hope it helps some of y'all
Chicken
For KCBS, this is defined as Chicken or Cornish Hen.* It can be prepared for a contest whole, half or any combination of the chicken or Cornish Hen as the cook chooses.*
Pork Ribs
Spare Ribs: The rib section from the belly, with or without the brisket.* A complete slab should contain eleven to thirteen ribs.
St. Louis Style Ribs:* Spare ribs that have the brisket bone and all skirt meat removed.
Loin Ribs (Baby Back Ribs): These ribs are prepared from blade and center section of the Loin.* This type of rib usually has more meat between the bones and is sometimes referred to as “finger meat.”* It will contain eleven to thirteen rib bones.
All Pork Rib entries must contain the ribs.
Shoulder
A pork shoulder entry is defined by the National Livestock and Meat Board as the portion containing the arm bone, shank bone, and a portion of the blade bone.* The shoulder may be cooked in one piece or divided into two parts with the lower portion being the Arm Picnic and the upper portion being the Boston Butt.* KCBS rules allow any of the above.
Beef Brisket
This is the underside chest muscle from Beef Cattle.* Whole brisket weights anywhere form approximately eight to sixteen pounds trimmed.* It has a thick end called the Point end and a thin end called the Flat.* One side of the brisket has a layer of fat and another larger layer of fat extends inside the point end.* The fat has a natural baste for flavor and moisture as it cooks.*
General Information
Take small portions.* If you eat one (1) ounce of each sample, you could consume nearly two (2) pounds of meat before you are finished judging.
Judge the sample the way it is submitted.
Judge each item on its own merit.* KCBS judging is not comparative.
Your standard for judging should remain constant throughout the judging process for that contest.* Score every sample in each criterion on the individual reference points printed on the score card.
Any whole numbers, 9 (excellent) through 2 (inedible) may be used as many times as warranted during judging.*
Once an item has been scored, the score may not be changed without the permission of the Table Captain and Contest Rep.
If you question the legality of an item, quietly bring it to the attention of your Table Captain.* He/she will bring it to the attention of the Contest Reps.
Cleanse the palate with crackers and water between samples.
If you do not eat chicken skin, at least taste it, if presented that way, and then discreetly discard.* Continue to judge the chicken.
Smoked meat, including chicken may be pink, and not be raw.* Chicken is done if the juices run clear.* Under cooked chicken will not pull apart easily.* If you suspect chicken is raw, place your napkin/paper towel against the meat.* If it comes away pink, it is not fully cooked.* You are not required to sample.* Quietly bring to the attention of the Table Captain.*
Brisket may NOT be presented in rosettes.
Contest Weekend
Do not fraternize with the teams.* You are allowed to visit with teams on
Friday, yet, it is recommended that you limit the time spent with any team.
Do not visit with teams on the day of competition until judging is complete.
Utensils may only be used for removal of samples from the sample box.* Barbeque is a finger food.* It is important to use all your senses when judging barbeque.
The Scoring System:
Criteria: Appearance, Tenderness/Texture, and Taste
Items are scored in whole numbers.* The weighting factors for the point system are as follows:
*************** Appearance- 0.5600
*************** Taste-2.2972
*************** Tenderness/Texture-1.1428
The scoring system is from 9 (Excellent) to 2 (Inedible).* All numbers between 2 and 9 may be used to score an entry.* A score of 1 is a disqualification and requires approval by a contest Rep.
The low score from each table will be thrown out.* Results are then tallied.* If there is a tie in one of the individual categories, it will be broken by the computer.* The judging slips will be compared (counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative scores in taste, then tenderness, then appearance.*
Garnish:
Chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, parsley or cilantro.* No Kale, endive, red tipped lettuce or lettuce core or other vegetation.* Infraction penalty: 1 on Appearance.
Sauce:
Meat may be sauced or not as cook sees fit.* Chunky sauce is allowed.* Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, approximately 1/8 inch cubed.** No side containers of sauce nor the pooling of sauce is allowed.* Sauce violations shall receive a score of one (1) on Appearance.
Container/Samples:
Entries will be submitted in an approved container, which shall not be marked in any way as to make the container unique or identifiable.* Aluminum foil, toothpicks, skewers, foreign materials, and/or stuffing is prohibited:* Infraction penalty: 1 in each criterion by all judges.
Chicken, pork and brisket may be submitted chopped, pulled, sliced or diced as the cook sees fit, as long as there is enough for six (6) judges.* Infraction penalty: Judges not receiving a sample shall score the meat with a 1 in the Tenderness/Texture and Taste criteria.* All judges change Appearance score to 1.
Meat shall not be sculptured, branded or presented in a way to make it identifiable.*
Comment Cards:
KCBS has implemented the use of Comment Cards at all contests.* Providing Comment Cards is part of the obligation of Contest Reps.* Writing comments is absolutely voluntary on the part of the judges.*
You should know when you give a positive score, a comment is not necessary because the score itself, tells the cook they are achieving excellence in BBQ. Cooks appreciate your comment which is signified by giving a positive score. (6 or better is positive as 6 is “average”) However, as a BBQ Judge you are encouraged, if you desire, to provide information to the cooks which may help them understand the score you have given and to provide helpful information to improve their performance in the future. The comments should be of the type which will assist them in perfecting their art and skills. Please no derogatory comments, constructive only
From 2007 CBJ instruction sheet.
All items start as a 6 in the scoring system.
Decide what your standard of 6 is for that day (i.e. your “line in the sand”).
Your standard should remain constant throughout the judging process for that contest.
The Judging Process:
These Kansas City Barbeque Society judging procedures are intended to provide the standards you should use in judging this contest. Remember, as a KCBS Judge, you are not judging by what you like but to the standards defined by KCBS
Here are the rules:
1. Judges may not fraternize with teams on turn-in day until the conclusion of judging.
2. Judging will be done by a team of six persons who are at least 16 years of age. Only Judges, KCBS Contest Reps and necessary support staff are allowed in the judging area during the judging process. No other activities are permitted in the judging area during the judging process.
3. There is no talking at the judging table once the entries have been brought to your table.
4. Looking at your judging slip, the smaller square is for the team number of each sample. Entries will be read out to you by your Table Captain. They will not be in numerical order.
5. Looking at your judging plate, the larger square is where you place your sample from a team’s entry tray. The smaller square is for the samples team number as it appears on the entry box. Make sure the sample on the larger square matches the number in the smaller square from the entry box.
6. The scoring system is from 9 to 2; 9 is excellent, 8 very good, 7 above average, 6 average, 5 below average, 4 poor, 3 bad, and 2 inedible.
7. Once all the numbers are properly written in each square, your Table Captain will begin the Appearance section on each entry.
8. Each Judge will first score all the samples for Appearance. Each Judge must write down his/her
Appearance score on each entry as it is presented.
9. During Appearance scoring, Judges are not allowed to touch the containers, samples, or look at the underside of samples. Remember, garnish is optional. Along with judging for Appearance, Judges are to review for legality. They are to look for unapproved garnish, illegal foreign objects, sculptured meat, marked turn-in container, pooled sauce and incorrect samples. Each contestant must submit at least six (6) portions of meat in an approved container.
10. Whether you believe the container is legal or not, you are asked to permanently write your score for Appearance of the entry on your scorecard as if it is legal. After all Judges have scored the entry, if you believe that there is any question of legality, bring this to the attention of your Table Captain and he/she will bring your question to the attention of a KCBS Contest Rep for his/her binding determination.
11. A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires approval by a KCBS Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification: All Judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples of meat. All Judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign object in the container, incorrect meat. All Judges not receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.
12. Once all the entries have been scored for Appearance, the Table Captain will then pass out the entry trays for you to take a sample. Make sure you place the correct sample on the correct square. Once you have all of your samples on your judging plate, you may begin with the first sample by judging Taste and then Tenderness. Once you have completely finished scoring the first entry, you may move to the second entry and so forth. Please score carefully. You may not go back and change any scores once they’ve been recorded except under the direction of the contest Rep.
13. If you pick up a piece of meat and there are two or more pieces stuck together, do not shake, pull or cut the pieces loose. Just put them on your judging plate as they are. If you do not get a piece of meat to judge, call this to the attention of the Table Captain.
4.5 Breaded Chicken
Question: Can Chicken be breaded?
Opinion: At this point there is no rule against breading. It can be a part of a rub. Also, frying is
not illegal as long as the heat source is from charcoal or wood and NOT DEEP FRIED. (Rule #6
states: Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed). February 17, 2006
4.8 Garnish on Meat
Question: Is it legal for a contestant to chop parsley and sprinkle it on the meat?
Opinion: Yes, the KCBS rules specifically state that garnish may be chopped. Since the rules
don’t prohibit garnish, from being on the meat, it is perfectly legal. February 17, 2006
4.11 Under Cooked Meat
Question: Uncooked meat doesn’t seem to violate any rules.
How do you score an entry if a judge refuses to eat their sample because it is undercooked?
Opinion: Under cooked meat poses a health problem and shouldn’t be eaten. A score of two (2)
through nine (9) should be given for taste and tenderness by the judge(s) who refuse to eat the entry.
This is not a disqualification and therefore should not be given a one (1). Assuming the entry has
already been scored for appearance, do not go back and change the score given for appearance.
NOTE: It’s not uncommon for smoked chicken to be pink, especially near the bone. This should
not be confused with undercooked meat. Use the “napkin” test (place paper towel against the
meat/bone; if it comes away pink, or red, it is undercooked.) February 17, 2006
4.17 Sculpting Meat & Marking Containers
Question: Why do the rules prohibit sculpting the meat and marking the container, and how do I
deal with it?
Opinion: The KCBS utilizes a blind judging system to help prevent collusion by a team and
judges. The rule is to prevent cooks from making an entry so unique that a judge could easily
recognize an entry from certain identifying characteristics. Webster definition of sculpture is “(a) to
form an image or representation of from solid material; (b) to carve or otherwise form into a three
dimensional “work of art.”
They key words here are UNIQUE and FORM. Simply to arrange the meat in a container doesn’t
violate any rule. To arrange the meat in a unique pattern or to form (carve) the meat into a pattern
would be a violation of the rule. Entries not complying with the rule will be give a “1” for
APPEARANCE, a “1” for TASTE, and a “1” for TENDERNESS/TEXTURE.
This rule calls for a subjective opinion on the part of the KCBS Rep. Any doubt about this rule
should be in the favor of the cook. Rule “1” gives the KCBS Rep broad authority to interpret the
rules while at any contest. February 17, 2006
4.18 Dutch Ovens
Question: Are Dutch Ovens legal to use to cook in?
Opinion: It was decided by the Board of Directors that it is LEGAL to cook in a Dutch Oven
(charcoal or wood heat only). It is also LEGAL to hold barbecue in a Dutch Oven as long as it is
charcoal or wood heat source. February 17, 2006
4.22 Molding of Pork Entries
Question: For sanitary purposes, cooks are allowed to use an ice cream scoop for their pork
presentation. Can they use a plastic cup as the utensil to form their entry for turn in?
Opinion: Yes. This is not considered marking.
Approved by KCBS Board of Directors, May 12, 2009
4.45 Scoring Too High/Low
Question: Occasionally, you will find a judge who is scoring too high or too low. How do you
deal with that judge?
Opinion: Don’t wait for the problem to fix itself.
Too Low Scoring—Pull the judge aside and ask them to explain the KCBS scoring system to you.
If they cannot communicate the scoring system correctly, they probably just need to be reminded.
You should point out that they are scoring “out of sync” with the other judges and should be scoring
higher.
Too High Scoring—The Board of Directors has approved the following statement, which should be
read to the judge. This is a reminder, “if you feel like you can only judge a 9-8-7, you may
artificially skew the results of this contest. Please excuse yourself from the table and we will
replace you at this time.”
Any judge who is reluctant to follow your directions should be replaced immediately. Any KCBS
Certified Judge not following directions should be reported to CBJ Chairperson of the Board of
Directors. February 17, 2006
4.46 Removing Judges
Question: On what grounds can a KCBS Rep remove a judge?
Opinion: Each and every KCBS Rep has the authority to remove a judge at any time. Grounds for
removal include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Not following the rules after being warned
2. Talking during the judging process
3. Sickness
4. Disruptive child
5. Under the age of 16
6. Intoxicated, or under the influence of controlled substance
7. Advising other judges on how to score
8. Scoring too low or too high February 17, 2006
4.58 Ranking
Question: Can ranking be used in any category?
Opinion: No. The board has ruled that ranking will no longer be allowed in any category. Each
entry should be judged on its own merit without comparison of other entries. With ranking two 180
entries could be sent to the same table and choosing one over the other rather than just scoring is
unfair to cooks. Judges should be told to consider texture or consistency for the type of product
being judged as tenderness is not always applicable. Original Feb 17, 2006 superseded February 25, 2009
4.85 Garnish Rosettes
Question: Should an entry be DQ’d for garnish formed into rosettes?
Opinion: No. There is no rule regarding how garnish can be shaped. It is not considered marking.
Approved by KCBS Board of Directors, May 12, 2009

Back