electric smoker

ironbrew

Knows what a fatty is.
This is a bit of a continuation from my previous thread about bricquets not tasting right on the UDS any more. I'm starting to consider an electric smoker. Wife and I tend to like a stronger smoke flavour. I see some of the electric smokers now offer grilling as well as smoking.

Thoughts and opinions on electrics? Which to stay away from, which to research more deeply?

Thanks

If by electric smoker you mean a pellet grill, that's not your answer to getting a stronger smoke profile. They are generally considered to have a lighter smoke taste.

Used to have a Cookshack electric. Was a great little smoker. I believe most, if not all electric smokers only go up to 300. Rubbery chicken skin. Also forget about a smoke ring if that's important to you.

I had the Cookshack SM-105. The issues Andy mentioned are noteworthy, but can be overcome with a lot of practice, a lump of charcoal, and an oven broiler. Smoked turkeys and chicken in it if space was limited on the bigger unit. Definitely smouldering smoke that needs to be dialed in, again with practice. Would probably get another one over a pellet pooper, though I've never owned one. Just because I know how to use it, where the pooper is an unknown.

An electric smoker that gives heavy smoke flavor?

Good luck on your hunt.

Me? I'd see if I could find a charcoal that I could live with on my UDS - or look at a cooker that can use wood only. Electric smoker have their place- they are convenient- set and forget- can be very affordable- never hear of anyone running out of watts. But that's about all I can see that puts them into any running. To me- it's not enough.

Back