Egg to WSM - Some Questions

I'm still new to the WSM but I have a 22.5". I've done a couple overnighters now and fuel is really no issue. I've got to about 16 hours once without adding. I'm still experimenting with what I like best but for now thats just using regular old Kingsford blue. Temps do hold extremely well, as I did my first few cooks without any type of assistance, but I did get a BBQ guru for peace of mind during overnight cooks. Another add on I have done based on reading about it in other forums was to simply buy a 6'x8' welding blanket from Harbor Frieght ($30) and some spring clips. I wrapped up the WSM and left a little flare around the bottom vents and left the top fairly uncovered. I'm not saying it did or didn't help with fuel consumption but I'm sure it didn't hurt either. I used it on the overnights with temps around 30 degrees.

Havent tried that. I prefer to get up early and cook a bit hotter. May have to give it a shot.
That's the great thing about BBQ there is more than one way to smoke a Butt.

I'm a hot and fast guy too Steve, Brisket and Butts at 300+ usually 5.5hrs for a Butt and 6-6.5hrs for a brisket, I hang Ribs directly over coals and they're done in 3hrs.

I don't even get up early. :-D

Interesting topic because most people seem to be going the other direction lately. Since getting the KJ, my WSM doesn't get near the use it used to. I just love its stability vs the WSM for LNS cooks. However, I still really like my kettles for lots of things vs the KJ when it comes to direct grilling, mainly because of the larger grate, but also I just like the way it cooks lots of things like potatoes and other vegetables. Personal choice. Ash build up is the really big challenge when using the WSM with briquettes. It is hard for me to go beyond about 14 hours without having to add some additional briquettes. I have tried lump in the WSM but had problems with consistency. Others swear by it, I just swore at it. Best decision I ever made with my WSM was to quit using water in the pan. I just wrapped up a large clay saucer covered with foil and place it in the standard water pan with the entire thing covered with foil. It makes clean up super easy. There are some differences in the best ways to do things between kamados and the kettle or WSM such as the Minion method. etc.. Fortunately, there is a ton of helpful information out there on both the kettle and WSM to help your transition.

I'm in AZ so I have no issues with smoking in the cold. Heck, in the summer I'm looking for ways to keep my 22.5" cooled down!

If temps or fuel conservation is an issue a lot of guys just wrap it w/insulation.

That's the great thing about BBQ there is more than one way to smoke a Butt.

I'm a hot and fast guy too Steve, Brisket and Butts at 300+ usually 5.5hrs for a Butt and 6-6.5hrs for a brisket, I hang Ribs directly over coals and they're done in 3hrs.

I don't even get up early. :-D

For the hot and fast 300+ degree guys, it's probably not necessary, the overnight cook.

But for a lot of us low and slow guys, it's practical.

I shoot for about 9:00-10:00PM to have shoulders or butts on the smoker. I turn in at about 11PM -12AM. And then I let them run all night at 225-250.

I get up the next morning 7:00 or 8:00AM and let them ride the rest of the way if need be. Wrap them and put them in the cooler.

But I'm sleeping through the stall.

For the hot and fast 300+ degree guys, it's probably not necessary, the overnight cook.

I shoot for about 9:00-10:00PM to have shoulders or butts on the smoker. I turn in at about 11PM -12AM. And then I let them run all night at 225-250.

I get up the next morning 7:00 or 8:00AM and let them ride the rest of the way if need be. Wrap them and put them in the cooler.

Oh I understand and not saying one way is better than the other, it's all about personal preference and achieving consistent desired results.

Interesting topic because most people seem to be going the other direction lately. Since getting the KJ, my WSM doesn't get near the use it used to. I just love its stability vs the WSM for LNS cooks. However, I still really like my kettles for lots of things vs the KJ when it comes to direct grilling, mainly because of the larger grate, but also I just like the way it cooks lots of things like potatoes and other vegetables. Personal choice. Ash build up is the really big challenge when using the WSM with briquettes. It is hard for me to go beyond about 14 hours without having to add some additional briquettes. I have tried lump in the WSM but had problems with consistency. Others swear by it, I just swore at it. Best decision I ever made with my WSM was to quit using water in the pan. I just wrapped up a large clay saucer covered with foil and place it in the standard water pan with the entire thing covered with foil. It makes clean up super easy. There are some differences in the best ways to do things between kamados and the kettle or WSM such as the Minion method. etc.. Fortunately, there is a ton of helpful information out there on both the kettle and WSM to help your transition.

I really appreciate this post, because like many of the others in this discussion, including the one by KevinJ above, it just goes to show, different experiences and personal preference and obtaining desired results is the name of the game. There are several ways to accomplish the same thing, and what works good in one set of hands, might not work so well in another set of hands. I'm glad to see your smoking results are successful on the KJ.

I have the Kamado Joe classic and I've had ribs turn out as dry as a bone attempting to smoke them on my KJ using the deflector plates. Plus they were overcooked on the edges due to the edges extending beyond the circumference of the deflector plates.

I also struggle to keep temps below about 275 on it. I've smoked a pork shoulder on it though which came out excellent.

I even took to using a water pan in it, a large cake pan that I ordered off Amazon at the suggestion of some of the folks over on the KJ or kamado forums and it was little help.

My KJ is used exclusively for grilling and searing steaks now. For smoking, I use a dedicated smoker, namely my WSM, but now that's just me. Your mileage apparently differs from my own.

Don't get me wrong, I love the KJ, and you won't get it from me unless you pry it from my cold dead hands. It came after my 18.5in WSM, and before my 22.5 WSM. I'll be ordering the Joetisserie for the KJ soon for rotisserie chicken.

You're right, it's a personal choice, and I've found what you have found with regard to the ash from briquettes. There is another matter to consider with briquettes that I don't think has been brought up yet, and that's reusing or re lighting them.

Lump, I use the Kick Ash basket in my KJ and shake the ash into my yard as it will soak into the ground. I add new lump and relight the remaining lump, so little gets wasted.

partially burned briquettes, and ash from briquettes, won't soak into the ground. You can come back a year later if you dump used briquettes in your yard or ash from them, and they'll still be there. They create a lot of ash and I've found them near impossible to relight if you shake the ash off of previously burned ones.

None of this is a big deal though, if you have a garbage can or bag for collecting the ash from used briquettes.

Last edited:
Those are both excellent choices. The WSM is pretty easy to use. I have the 14.5 and like to fill the water bowl about 1/3. This allows for the vents to be more open during the beginning of the cook (bottom vents 3/4 - 7/8 and top vent fully open). With more airflow you increase the likelihood of your wood producing coveted blue smoke. Just got to watch the temps though. Once the water evaporates temps will begin to spike. When that happens I will control airflow with the top vent.

A brand new OTG 22 and a brand new 18.5 WSM will cost about $450. For about $400 you could get the 26 and the Slow n Sear. You'd get more capacity for your every day grilling (I sometimes struggle to fit dinner for 4 into my 22 but never have that problem with the 26). 2 18.5 WSM grates account for 454 square inches of cooking space. 1 26.75 grate has 508 square inches. Granted, cooking indirect sacrifices some of that, maybe 1/4 of it. That would leave you with 381 square inches of space. So, you'd sacrifice a bit of capacity over the 18.5 WSM, but not much. You'd get more capacity than the 22 and you'd get the Slow n Sear which is not only great for smoking but excels at indirect cooking as well, with a nuclear hot sear zone. It's smaller footprint than having 2 cookers is nice if patio space is an issue.

1st in w/ the build a UDS.

But seriously. I don't have an egg, so I can't attest to them, but have always been put off by the expense and fragility. I do however have an 18" WSM that I love. I've had it for about 4-5 years, it in conjunction w/ the Pitmaster IQ120 makes a perfect combo. I can cook butts low and slow for 16hr w/o needing to refuel and the confidence to get sleep. Conversely I have done 5 20lb Thanksgiving turkeys (not 5 at once, 1 turkey 5 years in a row) @325 w/o any issues. I've run all types of fuel, really just depends on what is cheap.

That being said, I recently completed a UDS. The only reason for the UDS was size. I wanted to be able to cook several full racks of ribs w/o folding, rolling or cutting. That is it. I didn't have it in the budget for a new 22" WSM and have always wanted to make it a UDS. I got the 18" WSM cheap from a coworker, but if I had to do it again I might hold out or splurge for a 22".

If you primarily grill or only smoke small quantities you may want to consider the 26" kettle. As it will do both. You will have the surface area for grilling. Trust me, you will appreciate it once you have it, especially going from 18". And it will be large enough to allow you to smoke a few racks or butts as well.

My arsenal consists of an 18" WSM, 22"UDS, 22" Kettle and a 36" Ranch. I'd say the 22" kettle gets the most use followed by the WSM/UDS.

Last edited:
Get the 22.5" WSM. The extra space is worth it. It's very rare you'll hear someone say "I wish my smoker was smaller"...

I used KBB in mine and remember one cook where I did a brisket and a butt, and while those were resting, did some ribs, all on the same load of charcoal. Somewhere around 18 to 20 hours at around 275* (where my WSM liked to run) if I remember correctly. When the temps start to drop a little, a gentle kick or two to the legs knocks the ash free and it'll go back up.

I bought an Pitmaster IQ-120 temperature controller for mine, but I only used it on overnight cooks for sleep / peace of mind. Doing ribs or chicken during the day didn't need it.

Take a look at the link in my signature for upgrades I did to mine.

I am somewhere in the middle...

I generally do butts between 250 and 275...a 8-10 pounder will generally take about 5-6 hours to hit the color/bark that I like. At that point, I wrap with foil or toss in a pan and cover with foil.

A few months ago, I started finishing them in the oven at 225-275. The first time did it was due to needing the space to get some ribs on the cooker. I started noticing that the finished product was as good as the product that was on the cooker start to finish. It is now my norm...

If doing a Saturday or Sunday lunch, I try to have them on the cooker at 250 around 6-7 pm...by midnight, they are going into the oven at 225. I can get a few hours of sleep...up around 6am and the butts are usually done or nearly done. I can toss them in the cooler and hold til we eat.

If doing dinner, I try to have them on the cooker at 275 around 5 am. Into the oven @ 275 around 10-10:30 am. Done around 3:30-4:30 pm and held in cooler for a hour or two.

Well, phase one complete. Picked up a Weber Kettle this weekend, lit it Saturday morning and let it burn for a few hours to burn off any oil left on the grates, and did the first cook last night, a pair of thin grass fed steaks. Set up a bank of lump on one side of the grill, got a small fire going, and set the vents to about 250*F and let the steaks cook to a temp of 120*F IT. Once they hit 120 I pulled them off and open the bottom vent and cracked the lid to get a good raging fire, then put the steaks back on for a sear. Turned out great, but I should have put my cast iron grate from the Egg on top of the Weber's grate, the Weber grate doesn't sear like that cast iron does, didn't get as much char as I like. But I also didn't overcook them, which is tough with steaks a little under 1" thick. They were still a nice medium rare throughout.

Probably pick up the WSM this weekend and season it and smoke a pork butt.

sTva1wOh.jpg

Looks good to me. Well, I might stack the two and eat them both, but other than that... :mrgreen:

Back