Eating my way through vietnam

TonyT

is one Smokin' Farker
Spending two weeks touring north, central and south Vietnam. Thought you guys might get a kickout of some of the sghts and food on the trip.

Day 1

After spending 27 hours on a plane, in an airport, and held up by immigration for a bribe, I get to meet the family I'm touring with. We head to a cool little place in the capital. Its actually a bunch of small carts\mini restaurants called Ngon 138. Basically all street food. Im avoiding tap water and anything not cooked (including fresh veggies). Having problems with uploading videos from my tablet, but will put up pics when I figure it out. Not a good start to this post, but the next meal might make up for it

Day 2
Up early to drive out to a special restaurant. It specializes in super fresh, straight from the boat seafood that you pick out and the restaurant across the street cooks it up. Not a big seafood eater outside of sushi, but the seafood here is so sweet and fresh, it's fantastic.
Hard tell, but those shrimps are almost the length of my forearm.

IMG_6702_zpsmxfjbth7.jpg

IMG_6710_zpsdyifj3aq.jpg

IMG_6718_zpshbfkxw5j.jpg

IMG_6687_zpsuduiarld.jpg

IMG_6746_zpshnpp2uhv.jpg

IMG_6739_zpsyv9amutu.jpg

IMG_6758_zpsfqylv6n0.jpg

IMG_6776_zpsjc2zdylh.jpg

IMG_6804_zps7gldk3g1.jpg

]

IMG_6803_zpsfb3sodqy.jpg

IMG_6805_zpsflmrabmw.jpg

IMG_6814_zpspyn47aqb.jpg

Beautiful view of the boats

IMG_6727_zpscqray4oi.jpg

And met two new friends. They collect empty cans for money. When I asked what they were doing, they said "just swimming". We gave them all the cans at the table, still had tons of food. Made each of them a bowl and they were voracious eaters. Made them promise to stay close and give back the bowls and utensils. Found out thre were even more kids, but they have a code to not mess with each other while eating, or begging. Made a big bowl for the other kids, who shared it water side

IMG_6769_zpswmlcwukp.jpg

IMG_6832_zpswibukzbh.jpg

IMG_6821_zpst57leahe.jpg

I'm jealous! I occasionally work with some Vietnamese folks and I very much hope to go there one day. If you get the hankering, a brethren has opened a BBQ restaurant there called Big Al's: https://www.facebook.com/thebigalbbq but if you want to stick to the local food give him a holler anyway - he's a cool dude.

Very cool!! I'd love to see Vietnam someday. Thanks for posting!

Many years ago, my nephew and a friend did a walking tour there, staying in small villages with the local folks. He said it was the best time ever, people and food were great.

I'm jealous! I occasionally work with some Vietnamese folks and I very much hope to go there one day. If you get the hankering, a brethren has opened a BBQ restaurant there called Big Al's: https://www.facebook.com/thebigalbbq but if you want to stick to the local food give him a holler anyway - he's a cool dude.

I'll see if I can fit it into the schedule, but I know it's tight. I was only in the Capitol for 2 days (including the day I landed). I'm there for a day towards the end of my stay before I fly back, would def give it a go if I can!

Takes a while to get things posted using this tablet, but got some cool stuff to share with the brethren

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Day 2 snacks

IMG_6859_zpsbb5lrwg8.jpg

IMG_6857_zpsflmcyulb.jpg

Vanilla/caramel/fortune cookie flavored hot cakes to order

IMG_6861_zpsyakcxwo5.jpg

Very sweet lychee

IMG_6868_zpsymv4zyrc.jpg

Dinner

In the city and my first bad meal. Should have read the writting on the wall (not making fun of politics, just the situation). This was hidden in the back of an American style coffee place, up a few flights of stairs that exited into a bathroom on one side and this restaurant on the other

IMG_6942_zpsee4m9qn6.jpg

IMG_6890_zpsefqtmnit.jpg

Remedied with a walk around the local food carts and shops

IMG_6943_zps7qzwahf2.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsxkoxnzrx.jpg

The rest of day 2

We drove through an area known for their dragon fruit farms. Stopped in this little garage of a place with one room, where the family lives in the back. When we got there the whole family came out to see the tourists lol. Grandma, mom and dad, along with 7 kids that sleep in this warehouse and single room.

image_zpskmfo6ys0.jpg

IMG_6984_zpskmfjsknl.jpg

IMG_6997_zpsdmjy2ppl.jpg

After we had some dragon fruit, we arrived at one of the beach resorts for lunch.

Uds anyone?

IMG_7056_zpspeixv4qg.jpg

IMG_7027_zpss2qvyxgw.jpg

IMG_7034_zpsqehjphw8.jpg

IMG_7033-1_zpsuqpf3ohw.jpg

IMG_7028_zpsrmbmxy2g.jpg

Oops, slight mistake. The dragon fruit and after was day 3 snack and lunch. Its in a beach resort town that was originally used for villas for the French, during their occupation. I have to say that the sand and water are as nice as my stay in waikiki (but cheaper). Its called nga trang. From what I'm told it means white houses, but the locals pronounce it in a slightly different manner than the literal translation. Its also home to one of the remaining temples of the early settlers, before Vietnam was named (over 1000 years ago). Its down town has major foreign investment and street after street looks like vegas

image_zpsfzr999bx.jpg

image_zpswmu2k2wv.jpg

image_zpsiyvm9lld.jpg

Day 3 dinner: noodle dish with fresh and pickled veggies, meat and deep fried egg roll wrappers. The other dish, spring rolls with grilled pork. The one wrapped in a banana leaf is called Nam, cured pork

IMG_7240_zpsrwowrtwm.jpg

IMG_7244_zps7el8cnw0.jpg

IMG_7252_zpstoir1jfh.jpg

IMG_7254-1_zpsieo7ccim.jpg

IMG_7280_zpsjr71srjr.jpg

IMG_7272_zpsnu2zdmzo.jpg

image_zpsrwbw9w7f.jpg

IMG_7258_zpszv2hsirh.jpg

IMG_7287_zps1zgigfbc.jpg

IMG_7290_zps1ypy9bsl.jpg

image_zpsmgorgkhw.jpg

IMG_7307_zpsspp9webw.jpg

Some late night coffee with vanilla ice cream and a coconut

IMG_7399_zpsl3sim00m.jpg

image_zpssijlufwy.jpg

Day 4: free hotel breakfast buffet oddities

Yes, that's Vietnamese coffee, oolong tea, a fried egg, beef stew, French bread, roasted potatoes/sausage/onions, fried rice, two asian bread rolls and a flat rice noodle dish with pork and fish sauce. I'm staying at decent hotels with clean food, have to take advantage. Good morning 6am breakfast

image_zpsveediht7.jpg

And yes, this is essentially pho with penne pasta... no idea either

image_zpsqabwvxqk.jpg

Little update. Been away from any useful internet connection. At a little tea shop for a few minutes with wifi and wanted to show you this. Found this in the back of a store that sells tea, coffee and little tea time snacks.

I'm being fairly adventurous and said I'd be willing to try, but when a dirt worn local who I saw go to a squatting toilet, not wash his hands, then reach his fingers into his mouth to pull out bits of food stuck to his molars, who then sits down and massages his dirty feet tells me it made him sick... I'll pass.

M

image_zpstntwuyzd.jpg

image_zps0ocflfhr.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Day 4

As you've noticed, eating throughout Vietnam is about what they have available in that area. One of the really common dishes, Canh Cua the soup with veggies and seafood is at every family style meal, whether North, Central, or south Vietnam. I thought I'd get tired of it towards the end, but it's very interesting how each location seasons their broth, and the distinct tastes of their ingredients. What kind of fish do they use, why does this same vegetable taste different here than earlier in the south, etc. For me, I never really had the same soup twice. In this meal there was some salted beef, salt and curried squid that's lightly fried. One of my favorite squid dishes. This was also the first time I tried fish eyes, super tasty!

Another thing I wanted to mention. I'm lucky to have had great guides, that really watched out for me. Not just to make sure I went to fun places, but my safety, health and even helping me not get ripped off. Because I was with such people, I could kind of adjust my perceptions of places I would/would not eat. It's amazing how many "gas station like" (they don't sell gas), 2 hours down the middle of a dirt road have some really fresh and great stuff. Loved dropping by places like this.

And meeting some of the local people who bike ride in the sweltering heat. Off the trees, into the bikes and straight to the markets.

I'm very lucky to have had a chance to try the fruit here. It's fresh, incredibly sweet and my guide told me the places we went only had one farming method, organic, without paying an arm and a leg for it.

Day 4 Nice meal to end the day

This is a different version of spring rolls and noodles. The spring rolls here are made not only with the traditional thin, spring roll wrapper, but from what I can tell a localized thin rice noodle. It's accompanied with the usual pork and veggies, this time including some shredded banana (maybe plantain) peels for sweetness. Another thing unique to the chef and location, the dipping sauces. This area of Vietnam I noticed has the lighter fish sauce, nuoc mam, as well as this heavier and much stronger one. The noodle dish is a much heartier broth than something like Pho, more like a medium ramen broth. The fried, thin rice cake is added for flavor and to add some crunch.

Back