"Dynamite Wings" in the 505 - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Stumbled onto Rick Bayless' "Dynamite Chicken Wings with Tamarind Candy" - (YouTube Link)

Recipe Copy/Paste from Video Notes:

• 1 ½ pounds of chicken drumettes
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted
• 3 tablespoons Mexican hot sauce (like Valentina or Tamazula)
• Salt
• 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
• 6 ounces Pulparindo tamarind candy (original flavor), broken up if in large pieces
• 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo
• 2 tablespoons agave syrup

Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a large bowl, toss the chicken drumettes with the butter, hot sauce and 1 teaspoon salt, then spread into a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the hot oven for about 30 minutes, until richly browned, flipping them halfway through the cooking. While the wings are cooking, put the garlic in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water and microwave at 100% for 1 minute. Drain and place in a blender jar, along with the tamarind candy, chipotle chiles, agave syrup, 1/3 cup water and ½ teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth (if the tamarind has seeds, you’ll hear them knocking around in the blender; blend on a low speed just until garlic and chiles are no longer visible. When the chicken is ready, remove it from the oven and brush it liberally with the glaze. Return to the oven for 10 to 15 minutes for the glaze to set and wings to char in spots.

The only things missing from our cupboard were the tamarind candy and some chipotles in adobo. A quick run down to El Super (our local Meximart) solved that.

PHVn0pwl.jpg

These are on tap for this evening... and they're definitely happening on the 26er with the Vortex. More to follow.

You are much more motivated than me. They do sound interesting. I am just dumping mine in the deep fryer with Sweet Baby Rays and some with Cosmo Buf Dust

Whipped up the tamarind candy glaze.

Broke down the whole package of bars...

0vF5sRDl.jpg

Into the blender they went after a quick chop-chop with the agave syrup, salt, garlic cloves, a couple of chipotles in adobo, then I added 1/3 cup of water before the blitz.

x7bZMmRl.jpg

Yielded quite a lot of glaze... and thicker than I expected, too.

SBf9QUrl.jpg

I8IjJ0Kl.jpg

Taste Test - Boom! Tangy (tamarind), Spicy & Smokey (chipotles), and a little sweet (agave syrup) with enough savoury (garlic) to carry the day. Big fan thus far. Thoroughly interesting flavors I'm not used to.

CINCHOUSE also whipping up batch of homemade Jamaican Jerk sauce.

Let the shenanigans commence!

Sorry. Still trying to recover from a ridiculously awesome Halftime Show.

I can Get Down! I just have trouble getting back up!

9IV4cjjl.jpg

mF1tpjjl.jpg

BYIWHxkl.jpg

Jamaican Jerk
JXyYrxgl.jpg

Rick Bayless Dynamite
AS1iS0Ql.jpg

gERz2bAl.jpg

Plated:
KzpChBsl.jpg

Wow! These flavors are made for each other.

Sweat and tangy with a little heat from the Dynamite Wings.
Herby/Spicy/Lime from the Jamaican Jerk.

The ONLY complaint I have is the texture of the Dynamite Wings' skin... I want more crispy vs. the Jerk. Maybe we toss the wings in the glaze next time like we did with the Jerk?

You NEED to make these wings and SOON.

I've got a solid 1/4 cup of glaze leftover, and that'll easily handle another batch of wings... perhaps for some NCAA Basketball action.

Rick Bayless knows his business.

Back