Dylan Taylor BBQ Class - Austin

That's not a cheap cooker. They are really proud of those.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like he need a bigger canopy :heh: What a beautiful cooker. I see the steel bucket where he scraps the ash into. I may go direct flow with my next cooker.

What would you identify as the top reason(s) your brisket with him came out so good...the fact he uses Prime grade CAB? A top notch offset smoker with near ideal/consistent airflow? The actual cooking process itself? I have no idea by the way when/how often you spritzed the meat, wrapped or not in butcher paper, fat cap up/down, etc. 8.5 hours at 250 degrees with a 12-13 lb. brisket seems a little fast to me compared to myself and others...I’ve read numerous times online that the briskets take anywhere from 12 to as much as 18 hours at places like La Barbecue and Franklin at 250-275 degrees. Of course, they’re probably using bigger briskets, it could be marketing and I have no way of actually confirming any of that; I myself have never cooked anything better than a Costco Prime packer which usually don’t seem to be very Prime to me...they’re hit or miss. I do have a direct flow offset smoker so though so I’m excited about continuing to learn on it and now really want to try and cook a high-end Primer one from a place like Creekstone Farms on it.

Anyway, very cool opportunity. If didn’t live up north I would easily pay for the $500 brisket tutorial this summer...he seems like a really genuine guy and most people with his level of experience won’t be offering these sessions to people like us. Guess some of us need to find a way to do this before he opens his restaurant in the future.

What would you identify as the top reason(s) your brisket with him came out so good...the fact he uses Prime grade CAB? A top notch offset smoker with near ideal/consistent airflow? The actual cooking process itself? I have no idea by the way when/how often you spritzed the meat, wrapped or not in butcher paper, fat cap up/down, etc. 8.5 hours at 250 degrees with a 12-13 lb. brisket seems a little fast to me compared to myself and others..
Anyway, very cool opportunity. If didn’t live up north I would easily pay for the $500 brisket tutorial this summer...he seems like a really genuine guy and most people with his level of experience won’t be offering these sessions to people like us. Guess some of us need to find a way to do this before he opens his restaurant in the future.

I dont have an exact answer. There was not some "magic bullet". It was just a bunch of little things. We were constantly checking it, watching it, poking it and feeling it, watching for certain signs, checking pit temps, making adjustments. Like every 15 minutes. He was showing me how the brisket goes through different moisture cycles, etc. There was no "set and forget" about it. It's not like he put a temp probe in and was like "OK, we are going to wrap at 160". In fact he did not have a temp probe because he lost it. It was more like "Poke it here and here, when you finger sinks in that means the stall is almost over". Everything was about looks and feel. Not time or temps. Only the pit temp was monitored.

In between pit checks you're inside and he's showing you his BBQ book collection, talking about sausage making, watching BBQ YouTube videos, he's showing you his old prized Japanese butcher knife, he's telling you BBQ restaurant war stories, plans for the future, etc. He has a roommate that works at Micklewait, and he was there trying to come up with a new desert item. It was some orange-pineapple pudding with cookie crumbles. I though it was awesome. I was like "This is really good!" He was like "Nah, not good enough" and into the trash it went. The whole day just revolved around BBQ and cooking. It was a lot of fun. At the end he's like "If you ever have a question, dont hesitate to send me a text". There's no signing some NDA *cough* Myron Mixon. Everything he does in the class he encourages you write notes about, take pictures and video of for reference. I got a lot of pictures and some video. I wish I would have taken more video. But I recorded in 4K and was worried about eating up space on my phone.

Last edited:
I dont have an exact answer. There was not some "magic bullet". It was just a bunch of little things. We were constantly checking it, watching it, poking it and feeling it, watching for certain signs, checking pit temps, making adjustments. Like every 15 minutes. He was showing me how the brisket goes through different moisture cycles, etc. There was no "set and forget" about it. It's not like he put a temp probe in and was like "OK, we are going to wrap at 160". In fact he did not have a temp probe because he lost it. It was more like "Poke it here and here, when you finger sinks in that means the stall is almost over". Everything was about looks and feel. Not time or temps. Only the pit temp was monitored.

In between pit checks you're inside and he's showing you his BBQ book collection, talking about sausage making, watching BBQ YouTube videos, he's showing you his old prized Japanese butcher knife, he's telling you BBQ restaurant war stories, plans for the future, etc. He has a roommate that works at Micklewait, and he was there trying to come up with a new desert item. It was some orange-pineapple pudding with cookie crumbles. I though it was awesome. I was like "This is really good!" He was like "Nah, not good enough" and into the trash it went. The whole day just revolved around BBQ and cooking. It was a lot of fun. At the end he's like "If you ever have a question, dont hesitate to send me a text". There's no signing some NDA *cough* Myron Mixon. Everything he does in the class he encourages you write notes about, take pictures and video of for reference. I got a lot of pictures and some video. I wish I would have taken more video. But I recorded in 4K and was worried about eating up space on my phone.

I hear ya. Sounds like a great time. :thumb:

You have to make sure on your next brisket and ribs that you keep us posted on how it turned out following his instructions. Pron heavy!

Back