THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FarmRaised

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey guys, somebody gave me a couple of duck breasts and I wanted to smoke them for gumbo. Any advice? I've seen a bunch of posts of duck breasts seared and grilled to mid-rare and other posts about smoking whole ducks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. Should I smoke to 165 like I would for chicken, or will the duck get rubbery? To brine or not to brine? I'm hoping to get a consistency for pulling/shredding. Any advice is greatly 'ppreciated!

If someone gave you a beef tenderloin, would you ask for advice about putting it in chili? If you've never had seared duck breast, you really need to try it. It really is worth doing.

Scroll down to the search feature at the bottom of the page and just plug in what your lookin' for...I use the hell out of it!

Welcome to the Brethren!

-D

I believe Chef John Folse does a duck gumbo in his restaurant in The Quarter. I've been meaning to try it. I'll look in his encyclopedia that he calls a cookbook later today to see if he has a recipe for it.

Breasts= Hot sear, cooked medium rare.
Whole duck= Roast, smoke etc... pull meat and put in gumbo:)

Breasts= Hot sear, cooked medium rare.
Whole duck= Roast, smoke etc... pull meat and put in gumbo:)

There it is. That makes sense to me. I like seared duck breast fine, but I thought maybe these ones would be a good excuse to smoke some meat, make a roux, and enjoy a few cold drinks in the process. I'll hold off on that until I get some whole ducks and sear these instead.

Back