Double barrel smoker build.

Man, I hate to tell you this, but I attempted to use that stuff to insulate my double barrel smoker, and it melted instantly. Did you get it at home Depot or lowes? It looks identical to the stuff that I used and it didn't last the 1st cook.

Man, I hate to tell you this, but I attempted to use that stuff to insulate my double barrel smoker, and it melted instantly. Did you get it at home Depot or lowes? It looks identical to the stuff that I used and it didn't last the 1st cook.

Many thanks for keeping an eye on this, I brought it from a builders merchant here in the UK, its the same as I have used at work, each pack comes with the codes and regulations it conforms to and the product data sheet gives full details about heat resistance etc. Hopefully it will be ok, if it does melt its not to much of a problem all part of the learning curve and part of the home build fun:-o

It looks like Kaptain Kadian is right about the insulation I have used, put a piece in the oven ( sure the wife won't mind:icon_blush:) and at about 200 deg C the bubble part started to collapse at the outer edge but no smell. I'll have to wait and see what happens when I do my first burn. Worst case is I end up with a couple of layers of foil inside the air gap between the main cooking barrel and the outer cover. It shouldn't be to difficult to remove it if I have to

Managed my first burn on Thursday, just used it as a test run, with the damper between the fire box and cooking chamber fully open and everything else fully closed the min temperature I could get was 350 deg F, I was just burning some lump wood so not much of a surprise and it was apparent I had an air leak in the fire box, the lid hadn’t sealed very well, the basket was stopping the door from closing so after the burn I made some adjustments and fitted a rope seal.

Slide out fire box

Slide out grills

The left hand one is set up for a “beer can” Chicken , the grills swap out very easily.

Slots for the temp probe cables

For todays test run and cook I lined the base of the fire box with briquettes (about 25) added 6 small pieces of plum wood and tipped on a dozen or so burning briquettes from my chimney.

Aimed for a target temp of 250 deg F, over shot a bit but didn’t take long to adjust , put in two chickens, left them very plain took them out when the temp reached 170 in the thighs which was after about 4 ½ hours left the BBQ running on the same settings and it finally burnt out after 7 hours, really pleased, the chicken was extremely moist and has given me a really good starting point, still a few jobs to do on the BBQ but it is usable just in time for summer!!

Back