Doing turkey on drum, need advice....

rovster

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Daniel
So I got my drum recently and fatties on deck but planning a turkey this coming weekend. Will be my first smoked turkey and first larger cook on drum. I’ve done a few smaller cooks on drum and I’ve noticed the underside gets a little more done than the top. That brings me to my questions....

1. Any special considerations with a turkey on drum?

2. Better to rack or hang?

3. Flip halfway through?

4. Shield bottom with extra diffuser or foil pan? Foil bottom of bird after a while?

5. I prefer not to spatchcock but will if it will make my life infinitely easier.

So my questions are drum specific not how to cook the bird that I have my game plan done lots of chicken on my primo, but I’ve noticed already it cooks differ t than a kamado.

For those curious using Cajun seasoning with Cajun butter injection, cooking at 300-325. Bird currently thawing in fridge. It’s an enhanced bird so if I brine will only do a light one.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks I have a turkey hook for my fryer I can try to rig up. Thought that might make for a more even cook. Not sure if I can rig it but I don’t see why not.

The last couple I did, I spatchcocked. I know you said you'd rather not, but they cooked a little faster, and much more evenly. Also, put a drip pan under the bird. The fat dripping on the coals STUNK. The birds I did must have been extra fatty, as the grease was making the temps fluctuate. Once the pan was put on the lower rack, the smell and fluctuations disappeared.

Matt

I would cook just the plain bird on the rack until you were happy with the bottom side color/smoke amount. Then put it in a pan or some aluminum foil under the bird to protect the bottom side from getting too dark.

The last couple I did, I spatchcocked. I know you said you'd rather not, but they cooked a little faster, and much more evenly. Also, put a drip pan under the bird. The fat dripping on the coals STUNK. The birds I did must have been extra fatty, as the grease was making the temps fluctuate. Once the pan was put on the lower rack, the smell and fluctuations disappeared.

Matt

Have you always seen the stinky drippings or just on that particular cook? You do the same for chicken or just turkey? Thought one of the positives of the drum is the drippings on the plate or coals? I do believe you though I do have pans on hand if I have a similar experience.

Bump for more ideas? If I decide to hang should it be vertical or horizontal? Does orientation matter?

I hung these in the PBC it was excellent
OZPzLKUh.jpg

vrIylKqh.jpg

poTYQMfh.jpg

Back