dizzy double pumpkin pie, happy autumn

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Started cooking with pumpkins a few years ago & realized that they’re far more than just something to be carved and/or smashed once a year, they’re actually a really really good vegetable at least as good as any other squash that people eat all year long; if you’ve ever just roasted one & eaten it plain (salt & pepper) you know what I mean. So this pie is half side-dish pumpkin & half dessert baked into one, basically dinner for my sorry ass:

Started with one medium sized pumpkin:

001_zpstfh1okka.jpg

Cut a hunk off & roast, it takes about 90 minutes at 350 to make it fork tender:

003_zps0jstzhb9.jpg

Once done, scoop it out, rice it & set aside for the filling:

008_zpssfkoqkdg.jpg

Then take the flattest part of the pumpkin (on mine it was the top) and hack off a "pie dish" sized piece, like this:

005_zpsoonincpn.jpg

I roasted this for 30 minutes to give it a nice head start, then brought it back in for filling:

007_zps1lxdzjd9.jpg

In with the filling, which was 2 cups of the pumpkin pulp, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup each of sugar & brown sugar, a can of condensed milk & some pumpkin pie spice:

010_zpszxhiaeva.jpg

Back in for another hour minimum, but it actually went closer to 90 more minutes:

011_zpszfkq7vkv.jpg

012_zps26igq88o.jpg

inside to cool for a while:

015_zpsf4zwdrqv.jpg

017_zpsepjtcoqz.jpg

After about 4 hours in the fridge I sliced off a hunk for tasting:

019_zpssbrdhlh0.jpg

020_zpsaib4wjum.jpg

022_zps1zisq8i8.jpg

On with the whipped cream & dizzy pig pineapple head:

024_zps058voljg.jpg

Some is good, more is better :clap::

027_zpsf9nh6grf.jpg

It was good, the pie part is pretty sweet so the pumpkin 'crust' was perfect to sort of cut the sweetness, & perfectly tender. Breakfast for a couple days :becky:

Back