Scalloped Potato Shepherd's Pie

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
Apparently, I mentioned to the wife this creation a while back and she asked me the other day when I was going to make it. So I did. Made Shepherd's pie as per normal but instead of mashed potatoes on top, I went with scalloped potatoes.

For the scalloped potatoes, I boiled the sliced potatoes in heavy cream with grated onion. Spread the shepherd's pie evenly in the frying pan, topped with the scalloped potatoes. Topped with some cheddar cheese and baked. All I can tell you is that if heaven existed in a dish, this would be it.

Scalloped-Potato-Sheppards-Pie-2.jpg

Scalloped-Potato-Sheppards-Pie-1.jpg

Last edited:
As a note of interest - from culinary definitions - Shepard's pie is an English dish made with lamb or mutton. The American version with beef is cottage pie. And scalloped potatoes with cheese is potatoes au' Gratin.

Yours certainly looks tasty.

Hmm. I've always known it as Shepherd's Pie. Must be our Canadianess as my ancestors are English. It was supposed to be fully loaded scalloped potatoes, but we didn't have any cooked bacon available so just added the cheese on top.

We need to see the secrets beneath the potatoes and cheese!

As a note of interest - from culinary definitions - Shepard's pie is an English dish made with lamb or mutton. The American version with beef is cottage pie..

Oh boy, you're playing with fire.

Cottage Pie is British, with beef. And it came before Shepherd's Pie, which is Irish, and is made with lamb. Getting this mixed up is like a Canadian telling a Texan that smoked brisket was invented by Canada and must have Poutine and Moose.

But I'm an American, so I don't know much about this stuff. What I do know is I made the Alton Brown Shepherd's pie recipe years ago, with ground lamb, following it exactly. It was a bit of work but it was shockingly good. One of those dishes that somehow ends up much better than the sum of the parts and is something I crave in the winter. It's good enough that I don't change it when I make it. I think it is important to get those potatoes just right - though I'm sure it is still great with variations. I have added some beef when I was short of ground lamb.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2-1942900
https://greatist.com/eat/a-history-of-shepherds-pie

Dishes from all over the world come here and end up "Americanized." So what. I would guess an American Cheesesteak would be changed to suit whatever country adopts it. Again, so what?! That dish looks and sounds awesome!!

For those of ya who would really like to have some of this dish but need to avoid the tater's, Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and cheese makes for a surprisingly good alternative topping.

That looks delicious! Will definitely try that!

I prefer it made with lamb, along with a pint of Guinness to wash it down, but the beef version with a Yuengling Lager would work too!

It’s basically lamb stew with potatoes on top.

Dishes from all over the world come here and end up "Americanized." So what. I would guess an American Cheesesteak would be changed to suit whatever country adopts it. Again, so what?! That dish looks and sounds awesome!!

The cheesesteak was bastardized as soon as it left Philly.

A classic Philly cheesesteak is shaved ribeye, American or provolone cheese, sometimes fried onions, and a good roll like Amoroso. It doesn’t have green peppers, cheeses sauce, kraft cheese, and it definitely does not have cheese whiz! (That’s crap is for tourists!). Use Cooper brand Sharp American cheese if you can get it!

Believe it or not, ketchup is the condiment that people from Philly typically put on their cheesesteak.

I usually roll my eyes when tourists ask for pickles on their Italian hoagie! They ruined it!

Last edited:
The cheesesteak was bastardized as soon as it left Philly.

A classic Philly cheesesteak is shaved ribeye, American or provolone cheese, sometimes fried onions, and a good roll like Amoroso. It doesn’t have green peppers, cheeses sauce, kraft cheese, and it definitely does not have cheese whiz! (That’s crap is for tourists!). Use Cooper brand Sharp American cheese if you can get it!

Believe it or not, ketchup is the condiment that people from Philly typically put on their cheesesteak.

I usually roll my eyes when tourists ask for pickles on their Italian hoagie! They ruined it!
+1 on the cooper sharp white. We use a tomato based sauce which is basicly half Heinz ketchup, and half tomato sauce. Don't forget Heinz sliced dill pickles.

Back