THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
This looks pretty clever. This guy is using a Smokey Joe Silver as a smoke box for cold smoking in a Big Green Egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2CftBSPuM

I could use my Smokey Joe Gold (which I normally use for my DIY "mini wsm") for the smoke box and my 18.5" WSM for the "smokehouse". I have a spare Smokey Joe lid in the shed from my old Smokey Joe Silver. I also have a spare aluminum door for my 18.5" WSM since I upgraded it to the stainless steel door. I could cut a hole in the Smokey Joe Silver lid like he did in the video and also cut a hole in the spare WSM door. Permanently connect the two with flexible aluminum pipe. Then when I need cold smoke, I just bring out this custom lid/door/pipe combo from the shed and good to go.

What do you think? Seems like it would work. (My Smokey Joe Gold even has a little custom expanded metal fire basket.)

I use a pellet tray for my smoke generator. I found a used propane smoker cabinet that I use for my smokehouse (no propane used). It has 3 racks in it for holding meat. I put the pellet tray 9n top of the burner in the bottom and I have the original smoke tray in the space above it. This causes the smoke to hit the tray first and roll around it and then up to the meat. I tried cleaning the charcoal out of my kamado Joe and putting the pellet tray on the bottom but it was too close to the meat. I found it imparted an acrid flavor to the meat.

Whatever I do, I want to end up with only cool thin blue smoke touching the meat and cheese. Because I know it won't be bitter then. I tried one of those pellet maze things and all it produced was thick white bitter smoke.

I tried an amazn tube in my 18" WSM and also got the bitter flavor. I found success by using the charcoal basket out of my kamado. It's round aprox 10" across. With that I am able to keep a small clean fire burning and I fill the water pan with ice

A lot of people use a "mailbox mod" to help remove some of the nasties from the incoming smoke. Your pellet tray essentially goes into a mailbox, or other container, and the smoke runs thru piping connected to your smoke chamber.

I agree with you, the mailbox mod has a lot of possibilities, and it can be used on many smokers.

H7lkaIu.jpg

A lot of people use a "mailbox mod" to help remove some of the nasties from the incoming smoke. Your pellet tray essentially goes into a mailbox, or other container, and the smoke runs thru piping connected to your smoke chamber.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-mailbox-mod-for-use-with-amnps.127770/

That looks similar to a Smokey Joe Gold hooked up to a WSM :) I know i can get the smokey joe gold to produce a very nice thin blue smoke, then pipe that into the wsm :)

I think I am just gonna do it.. I'll figure out some way to make it look good and functional. I'll share photos if it turns out good. I already have a spare lid and wsm door.

Interesting timing on this because I am cold smoking some cheese and salmon right now.

I just have an A-MAZE-N tray that I set in the charcoal tray of my Weekender and let it rip.

I use a tube thingee filled with pellets, I put it in the bottom of my 22 WSM, it works well as long as you give it maximum airflow, vents wide open, and crack the door, I think another set of vents in the top would be helpful.

I have an old Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault that is tall enough to hang most pork bellies. Basically it's just a cheap tin box with a door and some racks. For most smoking I just put one A-Maze-N maze in the bottom and get around 11 hours of smoke (if I want that much). For bacon I load up two mazes, start one in the morning and start the second one about the time I go to bed. I get close to 24 hours of smoke with close to zero effort.

Back