DIY Cold Smoker

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
This looks pretty clever. This guy is using a Smokey Joe Silver as a smoke box for cold smoking in a Big Green Egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2CftBSPuM

I could use my Smokey Joe Gold (which I normally use for my DIY "mini wsm") for the smoke box and my 18.5" WSM for the "smokehouse". I have a spare Smokey Joe lid in the shed from my old Smokey Joe Silver. I also have a spare aluminum door for my 18.5" WSM since I upgraded it to the stainless steel door. I could cut a hole in the Smokey Joe Silver lid like he did in the video and also cut a hole in the spare WSM door. Permanently connect the two with flexible aluminum pipe. Then when I need cold smoke, I just bring out this custom lid/door/pipe combo from the shed and good to go.

What do you think? Seems like it would work. (My Smokey Joe Gold even has a little custom expanded metal fire basket.)

I use a pellet tray for my smoke generator. I found a used propane smoker cabinet that I use for my smokehouse (no propane used). It has 3 racks in it for holding meat. I put the pellet tray 9n top of the burner in the bottom and I have the original smoke tray in the space above it. This causes the smoke to hit the tray first and roll around it and then up to the meat. I tried cleaning the charcoal out of my kamado Joe and putting the pellet tray on the bottom but it was too close to the meat. I found it imparted an acrid flavor to the meat.

Whatever I do, I want to end up with only cool thin blue smoke touching the meat and cheese. Because I know it won't be bitter then. I tried one of those pellet maze things and all it produced was thick white bitter smoke.

I tried an amazn tube in my 18" WSM and also got the bitter flavor. I found success by using the charcoal basket out of my kamado. It's round aprox 10" across. With that I am able to keep a small clean fire burning and I fill the water pan with ice

A lot of people use a "mailbox mod" to help remove some of the nasties from the incoming smoke. Your pellet tray essentially goes into a mailbox, or other container, and the smoke runs thru piping connected to your smoke chamber.

I agree with you, the mailbox mod has a lot of possibilities, and it can be used on many smokers.

H7lkaIu.jpg

A lot of people use a "mailbox mod" to help remove some of the nasties from the incoming smoke. Your pellet tray essentially goes into a mailbox, or other container, and the smoke runs thru piping connected to your smoke chamber.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-mailbox-mod-for-use-with-amnps.127770/

That looks similar to a Smokey Joe Gold hooked up to a WSM :) I know i can get the smokey joe gold to produce a very nice thin blue smoke, then pipe that into the wsm :)

I think I am just gonna do it.. I'll figure out some way to make it look good and functional. I'll share photos if it turns out good. I already have a spare lid and wsm door.

Interesting timing on this because I am cold smoking some cheese and salmon right now.

I just have an A-MAZE-N tray that I set in the charcoal tray of my Weekender and let it rip.

I use a tube thingee filled with pellets, I put it in the bottom of my 22 WSM, it works well as long as you give it maximum airflow, vents wide open, and crack the door, I think another set of vents in the top would be helpful.

I have an old Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault that is tall enough to hang most pork bellies. Basically it's just a cheap tin box with a door and some racks. For most smoking I just put one A-Maze-N maze in the bottom and get around 11 hours of smoke (if I want that much). For bacon I load up two mazes, start one in the morning and start the second one about the time I go to bed. I get close to 24 hours of smoke with close to zero effort.

Back