Discussion Thread -> ""WSM/Bullet Smoker vs. Kamado!"!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Why not :rolleyes:

Chris hasn't mentioned anything about not being able to do it. He's typically been doing them late at night, so we'll see.

Savageford, that meatloaf looks moist and flavourful, good cook for the first time using your mini. I know it's not meat, but that cauliflower, wow, how did you get it to look that wonderful? I want to do that to cauliflower, too.

Brethren,
My entry will be in the Kamado category.
Sorry, This thing is not ready to be retired to the garden. :boxing:

From what I have read my kamado is an original Imperial kamado made of black earthenware clay. These are extremely efficient cookers which started the whole ceramic egg phenomena. Due to its earthenware clay it keeps foods extremely moist & flavorful. I have dated this one to be over 50 years old. I bought it a few years ago off of craigslist for 240.00 dollars and fell in love with it. Is it better then a WSM/Bullet Smoker? Cant say really. :noidea: Ive never cooked out of one.

From this photo you can see that this smoker has handles on the lid. Those were put there so you could lift the lid off the smoker (before they made hinges for them). Some call them the ears. Many people like to take these old smokers, paint them, put temperature gauges on them as well as mount a lower vent down below. I prefer that old rustic look, leaving it in its original condition.
IMG_1181_zpsbc4d0dd4.jpg

This smoker originally came with a clay plug you could move in and out to adjust the air intake. (I don't have that piece).
This is my vent, a piece of cardboard wrapped in tinfoil. It works really well!:thumb:

IMG_1163_zpsdb619929.jpg

Lets get to the BBQ!
MaBBQ & I decided to have some of our "young friends" over we have known for a long time to share the BBQ with. :cool:

IMG_1211_zpsb83c36ab.jpg

Oh yea, Lets get to the BBQ. :roll:
Started with some hardwood briquettes from Trader Joes and a fist sized chunk of pecan.

IMG_1156_zps1470eac8.jpg

Rubbed down 3 racks of baby back Ribs the night before the cook. Two, with two different rubs from Simply Marvelous, and one with a special rub I make for MaBBQ.
IMG_1170_zps96f6c484.jpg

Meanwhile,
Time to prep some sides! Smoked some beans as well!

IMG_1184_zps787f9dc7.jpg

3 1/2 hours later, cooking at temps between 210 & 220….
Image_zps0f5d652a.jpg

YEP, They are ready!:becky:
IMG_1187_zpsd4b5e9b9.jpg

Juicy tender pull off the bone ribs in just 3 1/2 hours. No sauce needed!
IMG_1203_zps66502e65.jpg

Money shot please!!
IMG_1196_zpsac318732.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'll take a diet portion please, looks damn tasty

Yeah, love those tacos, they made it a hard vote for me…. among a few other entries. :biggrin1: It has a lot of flavour layered on flavour layered on flavour, I love that about your cooks, Deguerre. When you repeatedly layer that much flavour over and over, it leaves quite an impression. I've never thought of cooking pork necks so that was very interesting to me, too.

Back