Discussion Thread -> ""WSM/Bullet Smoker vs. Kamado!"!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Please accept this official entry into the "WSM/Bullet Smoker vs. Kamado" TD.

This is my official entry titled, "Pig leg smoked on my kamado".

Made a simple rub with 3 Tbsp of a Jerk-like rub with pimento, 2 Tbsp of powdered ginger and 1 Tbsp granulated garlic. Got the leg on at 250'F at 00:30 this morning with a couple pieces of apple wood. I had a fair amount of leftover charcoal from a couple of cooks in the kamado and the kettle, decided to use it up on this overnight smoke. I figured it would get me to morning and it did. Caught it at 9:30 am at 190'F when I woke up, spent 5 minutes adding new stuff, was back to 250'F in about half an hour and pulled the leg off around 3 pm when it probed like butter. :becky:

Imperial measurement makes it $2.30 per pound, 23.3 pounds in total for $60.35. This is traditionally raised pork -- without the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and allowed to go outside and act like a pig. I get them at a local grocery store chain, Metro, based in Quebec, that still employs butchers in their stores. I order whole legs and whole shoulders, whatever cut is on sale, and freeze them for later. It's a good way to get better quality pork cheaper than 'regular grocery store' pork. :thumb:

Below is how it looked when I woke up and took at look at 9:30 in the morning. It was beautiful sight to wake up to.

After another 5 hours in the smoker.

I haven't been happy with my photos taken in auto for a while but hadn't taken the time to figure out what else to do. I wanted to properly show what a kamado can do, though, so I did a little reading and tried some photos in manual. Not bad for a first try, next time I'll try manual with a tripod. I took about a dozen photos and these are what survived the cull.

PLEASE USE THE PHOTO DIRECTLY BELOW FOR VOTING.

Kamados are THE BEST!!! :laugh:

Thanks for looking. :grin:

Tony, I didn't know how to smoke anything until I got a kamado and started entering TDs two years ago. The various themes called for TDs will help you stretch yourself in ways you wouldn't otherwise. Ask any questions you have in the TD threads or in Qtalk, you'll get a lot of good advice and learn about the aspects you're focused on. There's some good photography threads for TDs, too. Just saw a few threads dedicated to newbies and what some people look for in cook threads, too.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96575&highlight=photography

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182900&highlight=photography+tips

I love smoked lamb, great colour Kathy!

The only thing wrong with it is it's far away and not here with me!

And that it's a farking delicious Pigs leg!:doh:

Last edited:
Tony, I didn't know how to smoke anything until I got a kamado and started entering TDs two years ago. The various themes called for TDs will help you stretch yourself in ways you wouldn't otherwise. Ask any questions you have in the TD threads or in Qtalk, you'll get a lot of good advice and learn about the aspects you're focused on. There's some good photography threads for TDs, too. Just saw a few threads dedicated to newbies and what some people look for in cook threads, too.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96575&highlight=photography

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182900&highlight=photography+tips

Kathy, good looking out on the photography threads. I was thinking just this week about how I can improve my photos, and take more quality food pics. I appreciate the tips!

Pork Necks On The Akorn

Official Entry and Such.

They cooked in smoke for two hours at ~300 then were panned and foiled with a large onion for another two and a half. Here's some pics.

necks1_zpsf7544afa.jpg

necks2_zps318c8276.jpg

necks3_zpsb31f4aa1.jpg

necks5_zpsc95808a2.jpg

Steamed the lens...

necks6_zpsa4bc5dda.jpg

necks7_zps6af490ea.jpg

necks8_zps6155b278.jpg

pulled...

pulled_zps804f02f3.jpg

Fixins...

sides_zps3f7f6e9e.jpg

plate_zps74b8d5b0.jpg

plate1_zps0cb13a9c.jpg

plate2_zps701a7868.jpg

Plated...

plate4_zps8b76d253.jpg

plate3_zps244d597f.jpg

Next to last pic for the entry, I guess. :mrgreen:

Haha man i hope i get atleast one vote :twitch:with all these awesome entries :thumb:

The Kamodo Clan is rockin them flower pots :grin:

Who's doing the Vote threads? Biggles has been offline since Last Friday afternoon. Just curious if anyone steps in when he's absent.

Back