Digital Thermometers

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
My Maverick died a couple of years ago and I have been cooking on my UDS by experience (time, look and feel). :loco:

Been working fine and doing great but I have no idea what my temps are, both at the grill and internally. What is everybody using these days? I was just gonna go on Amazon and order a new Maverick and Thermapen. What say the Brethren???

TIA

I agree the Smoke is built very well, easy to use and seems to be very accurate. Thermoworks products are top notch and they provide excellent customer service.

Any idea when the "Bridge" is coming out? Will this be an upgrade to the existing model or will you need to buy a new unit?

Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) & Smartphone App Coming in 2017
Get Smoke by ThermoWorks now. Use the wireless RF (Radio Frequency) receiver to monitor your cooks up to 300 feet away. Then this Summer you can add Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) to your set-up and get readings on your cell phone or tablet, anywhere! Smoke Gateway will work with your existing Smoke when it becomes available. You will not need to buy a new Smoke. Smoke Gateway receives the RF signal from Smoke and uses your Wi-Fi to transmit to the app. MSRP $89.

No clear date has been given.

Another vote for Thermoworks! I bought a ChefAlarm after going through 3 other brands in 2 years and it has lasted several years so far. I did have to replace a probe after three years of use but that is a cheap fix. Batteries last a long time too. I recently bought the Thermoworks Smoke as well and have been happy with it. You really cant go wrong with Thermoworks!

Thermoworks makes great product, and stands behind it. I have four. But if I were looking for something high-end like the smoke, I'd also be looking at (and likely be preferring) the fireboard.

On my UDS, I use a 12" turkey thermometer with a 2" dial- yeah it's analog. It goes an inch below my grate thru the side of the barrel with a short pc of lamp nipple and 2 nuts. The tip sits pretty close to the center of the grate and is "close enough" to give me an idea of pit temp. (does not have to be dead nuts accurate). I use a DOT for the meat probe-when I use one. Love the magnets and the size of the display. No bells, whistles or settings - just a set temp and a running temp. I'd buy a SMOKE- just don't need the features that are their big selling points... I'm sure they are great.

Another vote here for Thermoworks! Bar none they are the best and their customer service is great. I use the Smoke, ThermoQ and the Mark IV Thermopens...Never a problem, and always "spot on"! Wait till they have a sale or even open box specials....They will still hold the original warranty.

Last edited:
Another vote for Thermoworks. Just a note, they do not sell their products on Amazon so if you find a "Smoke" or "Thermopen" there, it is an imitator! Order directly from their site.

My smoke reads 10* cooler than my MK4 but the cheap pos maverick I got at home depot for $20 reads exactly the same as the MK4.

So $100 for the Smoke and then I have to pay $90 for the WiFi device and app?

Another vote for Thermoworks. Just a note, they do not sell their products on Amazon so if you find a "Smoke" or "Thermopen" there, it is an imitator! Order directly from their site.
Thanks. That is good to know. I wasn't paying attention until you said something. :thumb:

There's actually a little blurb about it, on Thermoworks website. Not only that, the prices, for "Thermoworks" products, on Amazon, are stupidly high!

Matt

So $100 for the Smoke and then I have to pay $90 for the WiFi device and app?

Don't "have to." TBH, the Smoke and its associated remote are auto-paired, and they've got mad reception... even through like 2 brick walls and several sheetrock walls. I pretty much have to be on the other side of the whole house before I lose signal.

I think it'll be pretty cool to have it WiFi enabled.... but definitely NOT something that's a show-stopper (for most folks). The simplicity and high quality are what brought me to the Smoke.

Just my unsolicited $1.05 on the subject.

Back