THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seems to me that you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Cover the water pan with foil, add sand if you really thing a heat sink is needed and cover it with foil. The WSM is a wonderful cooker without all of this..

$0.02

No problem with the WSM if you want to run a sub 225-250 while choking down the fire. I ran it that way for the first 6 years. I add more wood and charcoal to my fire now with the Vortex box. Sometimes I use the cast iron pan, sometimes I don't if I am going hot and fast.

I never liked having other elements while cooking so the water and sand idea had to go. Thus the need to replace it with a thicker "water pan" in the cast iron skillet.

Great discussion, gents.

I just added a 22 WSM to the arsenal this afternoon.....

I'm really looking forward to getting it set up properly and some initial runs made with it.

Great discussion, gents.

I just added a 22 WSM to the arsenal this afternoon.....

I'm really looking forward to getting it set up properly and some initial runs made with it.

That looks mighty nice... a clean WSM. Haven't seen one of those in forever. If you are looking for your first mod, it would be replacing the dome temp. But I am sure that is already in the plans.

The skillet is a Bayou Classic 20" that I Found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-7438-20-Inch-Cast-Iron/dp/B00062WTS8

I cut off the handles so it would fit. Even with the Cajun Bandit the chamber won't be able to sit correctly without touching the handles. It is a great stabilizer with the added bonus of smoke from the drippings on a hot surface. Much better than a water pan. You will have to add a third layer right above your fire so measure carefully.

I have no problems with the legs, even with the double chamber and additional meats. It's pretty stout.

That looks mighty nice... a clean WSM. Haven't seen one of those in forever. If you are looking for your first mod, it would be replacing the dome temp. But I am sure that is already in the plans.

:thumb:

Thanks.

I"m wide open as to ways to rock this thing.

One concern is that the lid has a bit of wobble to it.

No sure what that's gonna do in the overall scheme of things.....hoping there is not too much air leaking.

I'm hoping that I'll have time midweek next week to do some test burns on it.

My Webber 22.5 leaked a lot of smoke and after replacing the door with a stainless steel one and adding gaskets, it pretty much sealed itself up... The flame boss works awesome on that smoker. Set it and forget about it, great for overnight cooks or stepping out of the house to run some errands...

It'll leak for a few cooks then seal up. Lid leaking don't hurt anything......the base leaking can affect temps

Thanks.

I fully agree on things improving after a few cooks.

It's impressive what some fat....smoke.....and patience can yeild.

:biggrin1:

My Webber 22.5 leaked a lot of smoke and after replacing the door with a stainless steel one and adding gaskets, it pretty much sealed itself up... The flame boss works awesome on that smoker. Set it and forget about it, great for overnight cooks or stepping out of the house to run some errands...

A buddy is advising the DigiQ BBQ Guru model.

He's running comps with 2 of these 22.5" WSM units.

I may go sit in with him on a comp.....and bing mine along as extended capacity.

Seems to me that you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Cover the water pan with foil, add sand if you really thing a heat sink is needed and cover it with foil. The WSM is a wonderful cooker without all of this..

$0.02

I use lava rocks in a foiled water pan, to keeps temps stable for over nights.
DanB

Back