THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I did a rack of St. Louis ribs earlier this week. Typical 3-2-1, BBQ rub, foil with some liquid and more rub or brown sugar, baste with Rib Candy the last 15 minutes.

We've all done some variant of this a million and a half times.

Any suggestions on something a bit unorthodox? Of course my ribs taste great, but I'm going to cook the other rack this weekend, and I'd like to have some fun with it.

OK.. I would take other people's suggestions cuz I've never done anything totally out of the ordinary. But I was in the crowd of no sauce only rub enjoy the meat until I wanted to try something different.

I'm not exactly sure what "rib candy" is.. I'm assuming its a type of sauce.. well This may be almost identical to your method and rib candy but I'll explain it.

I'll never cook baby backs a different way again. if I did spares of STL style I like just the rub on those.

I did the foil with butter (real butter), brown sugar, and honey.. Once they started to get tender.. I would pull them off throw them back on the smoker.. I would then create a sauce with the juice in the foil pack and any kind of original/regular BBQ sauce.. You get a nice BBQ twang with the sweetness of the Rib juice. Like I said maybe rib candy is identical to this method.. But I felt the Juice + BBQ sauce mixture as a glaze was worth mentioning

I'm still rather partial to Buccs' Thai-Inspired ribs from a few years ago. - Here's one of my attempts at the dish.

I often do this with St. Louis spares with good results, as well. If able, you'll get best results with an overnight marination. Otherwise, I've also put them in to marinate in the morning and cooked them in the afternoon... just fine.

Hope that helps!

Check out "Chud's BBQ" 2 parts 16 mesh pepper one part kosher salt then an amazing mop he provides the last hour until tender. Wrap them up and let them rest for a while. Southeastern style? No Central Texas style? Yes You can always use a sweet sauce after it has come off the cooker and rested for a while.

Ha ha just my taste buds talking....:-D

Try this recipe for Korean ribs. I like the spicy version (though with less pepper flakes); I'm not a big fan of sickly-sweet ribs. Obviously you ignore the cooking instructions and cook them as you normally would on your smoker (unwrapped). Don't go too hot or the marinade will burn. 250 works great. You can crank them up a bit for the last 30 mins to set the marinade.

I like STL spares, but you could use back ribs as the recipe suggests.

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dwaeji-galbikalbi-korean-style-pork/

2nYrQN5.jpg

My Apple-wood smoked, pickling spice rubbed (cured) spares tasted like breakfast sausage and bacon.. just sayin'

[I forgot to mention cured ribs, i.e. "bacon on a stick", as something new]

Here's one for your sweet tooth. Actually half the recipe shown below is enough for 1 rack.
1 cup real maple syrup.
2 tbls chili sauce.
2 tbls cider vinegar.
2 tbls minced onions.
1/2 tsp dry mustard.
Combine all the ingredients in a pan and heat just enough to soften the onions.
Baste the ribs with the sauce while they cook. Serve with remaining sauce on the side.
They're like candied spare ribs.

lemon pepper reminds me- undercooking them a little and finishing in the fryer is always a hit. breaded is probably more popular IME (the smoke goes into the breading, which turns dark) but not totally necessary.

I did a rack of St. Louis ribs earlier this week. Typical 3-2-1, BBQ rub, foil with some liquid and more rub or brown sugar, baste with Rib Candy the last 15 minutes.

We've all done some variant of this a million and a half times.

Any suggestions on something a bit unorthodox? Of course my ribs taste great, but I'm going to cook the other rack this weekend, and I'd like to have some fun with it.

How about cooking ribs properly instead of over cooked mushy 3-2-1 ribs?

Back