Dedicated Sausage Smoker

Willowe1980

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Will
Howdy,

A couple of quick questions. Has anyone been able to mimic the flavor of real smoked sausage on a MES, or similar style smoker? I currently have an offset with a vertical box which works well. However in this post covid world I just don't have the time to sit by the fire, drink beer and smoke sausage. I bought a used Big Chief and while its a nifty little cooker, its just not giving me the flavor profile I am looking for. I have zero experience with vertical smokers, electric, charcoal, or otherwise.
I guess what I am asking for is an honest review or suggestion on an alternative to my offset. More of a set it and forget it. It would need to get down pretty low, as I would be using it mainly for sausage, bacon, etc. Most likely wouldn't use it for brisket or ribs.

Thanks for you help!

I smoke sausage on my pellet grill. If you got a vertical pellet grill you could probably hang them. My Mak runs at 170-180* on the lowest “smoke” setting. If you want something closer to “cold smoke” you might need to get something that burns sawdust, use a pellet tube, etc.

Last edited:
Drums are good for sausage if you have a hanging rack. But give the Big Chief another try, only this time use some good quality pellets instead of the chips. And very small amounts of pellets. I never empty the ash, just add a few more pellets. The Chief's are flavor smokers, so after a couple three hours you might have to finish on another cooker or the oven. Here is some Big Chief sausage.

oFhTsI6.jpg

Last edited:
Some people also use the masterbuilt gravity fed smokers. I haven’t personally so I can’t attest to how well it actually works.

I have never had an MES but smoked sausage quite a bit on an electric smoker. I used two amazn tubes filled with pellets and I had plenty of smoke flavor on the links

One other option I played with in past is get used mini fridge off MP and drill hole near bottom to attach cold smoker. Drill hole at top and attach a threaded nipple to ball valve for exhaust. You can run cold smokers for hours while sausage maintains safe temps. Will get plenty of smoke flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to buy sausages and then smoke them?
Or make them from scratch?
Whole different ball game!
If you keep your temperatures above about 74 oC, you needn't worry about the safety aspects, but otherwise you do

Back