THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokeypig

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Papa Stu
Hey, how y'all doing this morning?

I had to go to Columbus, GA yesterday. For those of you who have never been there, there are several decent and a couple of GOOD q spots there. Here in Georgia, pork is king and Columbus is home to more barbecue spots per capita than anywhere else in the state.

I had breakfast at Mike & Ed's off Veteran's Parkway. Scrambled eggs, grits (if you have to ask, you won't understand), fresh biscuits with sawmill gravy, home cured country ham steak, and some good coffee. PERFECT!

Lunch at my namesake's, Smokey Pig BBQ. they sell one type of Q, pork. sliced, chopped, and chipped (what everyone else in the q world calls pulled). Decent, but was swimming in the sauce (they make the sauce). I may have to change my nomme d'Cue....

and finally, dinner at Clearview off of River Road, near 45th Street. Best damn pork ribs I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Clearview has become a Friday dinner after Thanksgiving tradition with my folks (they live in Midland, Georgia). The whole family (sisters, brothers, cousins, great aunts, etc.) shows up there for dinner, literally taking over the place. Last November, we had 37 people in a restaurant meant to hold about 25. It was us, the cooks, the servers, and those wanting take out. Great food, good cold beer (and the obligatory SWEET TEA), and lots of BS'ing going on.

If you ever find yourself in Columbus, try Clearview, Smokey Pig Barbecue, Macon Road Barbecue, or Country's Barbecue on Veteran's Parkway.

If you ever find yourself in Columbus, try Clearview, Smokey Pig Barbecue, Macon Road Barbecue, or Country's Barbecue on Veteran's Parkway.
I will. But you can keep your sweet tea, I prefer mine plain.
Glad ya had a good trip and thanks for the report.

parrothead said:
I will. But you can keep your sweet tea, I prefer mine plain.
Glad ya had a good trip and thanks for the report.

I prefer my tea with Gin in it :!: :D

unfortunately, here in the deep south, there just ain't nothin' better than an ice cold sweet tea on a hot summer day. 'course down in columbus, every day is a good day for sweet tea!

they will look at you funny, tho, when you order unsweetened tea. they'll serve it, but you'll get looks.... :wink:

as far as gin goes, really, i like beer with my barbecue....

smokeypig said:
unfortunately, here in the deep south, there just ain't nothin' better than an ice cold sweet tea on a hot summer day. 'course down in columbus, every day is a good day for sweet tea!

they will look at you funny, tho, when you order unsweetened tea. they'll serve it, but you'll get looks.... :wink:

as far as gin goes, really, i like beer with my barbecue....

Cold beer is good, never tried it in tea though :!: :roll:

Jorge said:
When did you find time to visit Victory Drive? :?

i lived there for almost 30 years. In my younger days, I became intimately acquainted with Victory Drive (particularly a drinking establishment near Ft. Benning called Little Richard's).

yeah, right. how long ago did you not go to the Chick-chick-chickasaw club or little richards or the forum, or the, uh, was it the pillow talk lounge? hmmm?

If I did go to any of those places it would have been about 15+ years ago, close to the 1st and the 15th of the month....with an occasional visit for nostalgia in following years :oops:

Jorge said:
If I did go to any of those places it would have been about 15+ years ago, close to the 1st and the 15th of the month....with an occasional visit for nostalgia in following years :oops:

Will since we have meet you must have been about five.

Back