Cyber Q vs Flame Boss 300?????

I'm in the Stoker camp for the last 5 years. I have seen the others but I have only used the Stoker.
Once you understand the setups for both wired and WiFi, it is a set it and forget it. I like using the Stoker Log software on my PC but there are others that run on mobile devices.
In fact I did have 3. Just gave one to my neighbor this past week. :mrgreen:

I'm in the Stoker camp for the last 5 years. I have seen the others but I have only used the Stoker.
Once you understand the setups for both wired and WiFi, it is a set it and forget it. I like using the Stoker Log software on my PC but there are others that run on mobile devices.
In fact I did have 3. Just gave one to my neighbor this past week. :mrgreen:

You can just send that second one to me and i'll give it a shot :thumb:

Just ordered Flame Boss 300 WiFi and it'll arrive next week. They claim that their 15 CFM fan is adequate for my Shirley . I guess I'll know soon.

I hope that works out for you. From past experience I don't think it will work like you're wanting it to. Stick burners require more airflow than that fan can provide. For instance I ran a Lang 60 and it took 2 20 CFM fans running off a spliter just tun run some charcoal from time to time. It definitely won't run wood and I'm not sure I would call the 2 fan charcoal experiment a success.

That's interesting to me. I wonder if there is a issue with manufacturing qc.
Well I can tell you after many emails with FlameBoss. My values that were stated to try changing. Were NO Where close to the values they gave me. Example: 400-800, mine were from 60-100 max. I thought my unit was bad just from those conversations. I requested a new unit. FlameBoss wanted me to send mine in (my cost) for them to evaluate. That ain't going to happen. I already spent close to $300 for a POS. That to me is not customer service. The unit was still new at that time. And I sure can not sell it. It is junk. So I'm working on ways to make it work. I'm on my 4th revision. Worst case is I use it as a fan for a forge to heat steel.
Also, choking down the exhaust to the size of a pencil lead is NOT an option either (and it didn't work). I prefer full flowing exhaust. That is not me (and alot of others here)
Seems like others really like their FlameBoss units. Mine, not at all.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like they both are probably great options. The main difference i've seen by doing some research is the Flameboss 300 comes as a kit with multiple probes. With the cyberQ to get the equivalent package you have to purchase an add on kit of probes. But the CyberQ still comes in about $20 cheaper than the Flameboss when you add the required parts to create the equivalent kit.

My CyberQ came with a tone of meat probes and one pit probe!

Well I can tell you after many emails with FlameBoss. My values that were stated to try changing. Were NO Where close to the values they gave me. Example: 400-800, mine were from 60-100 max. I thought my unit was bad just from those conversations. I requested a new unit. FlameBoss wanted me to send mine in (my cost) for them to evaluate. That ain't going to happen. I already spent close to $300 for a POS. That to me is not customer service. The unit was still new at that time. And I sure can not sell it. It is junk. So I'm working on ways to make it work. I'm on my 4th revision. Worst case is I use it as a fan for a forge to heat steel.
Also, choking down the exhaust to the size of a pencil lead is NOT an option either (and it didn't work). I prefer full flowing exhaust. That is not me (and alot of others here)
Seems like others really like their FlameBoss units. Mine, not at all.

Thanks for the update.

I was thinking of getting a Flame Boss for my second WSM, as I already have a Guru CyberQ WiFi and a Weber Igrill. The Igrill of course has no fan but does have a probe for pit temp and I have 3 other food probes for it.

Seems like I already have the best thing in the Guru CyberQ Wifi.

I bought a "spare" blower for my CyberQ WiFi a little while back. BBQ Guru Pit Viper 10. And I have 3 spare BBQ Guru temp probes too.

I may just buy another CyberQ Wifi controller or DigiQ control unit only and piece toether another setup for my other WSM.

I was considering the Flame Boss controller to run the CyberQ blower, which I am told will work. But your post above will have me steering clear of that idea for now.

Looks like the CyberQ is out of stock on their site....are there better places to buy it or is it common for them to go in and out of stock on their site?

Thanks ebijack,

I trust you at your word and I just got a shipping confirmation notice today. I'm getting a little skittish whether I should even open the darn thing or simply send it back for refund. I'll chew this one over. They swear up and down that their 15 CFM fan is adequate but, then again, they're incentivized to say just that.

Part of me is wondering if should just go Cyber Q with 2 gigantic 25 CFM Pit Bulls run through the splitter. The deterrent for me is the criticism that I've seen online re: WiFi interface. Is it true that you have to do through a lot of trouble to connect to home Wifi? Please let me know cause this may tip my decision. Thanks!

Thanks ebijack,

I trust you at your word and I just got a shipping confirmation notice today. I'm getting a little skittish whether I should even open the darn thing or simply send it back for refund. I'll chew this one over. They swear up and down that their 15 CFM fan is adequate but, then again, they're incentivized to say just that.

Part of me is wondering if should just go Cyber Q with 2 gigantic 25 CFM Pit Bulls run through the splitter. The deterrent for me is the criticism that I've seen online re: WiFi interface. Is it true that you have to do through a lot of trouble to connect to home Wifi? Please let me know cause this may tip my decision. Thanks!

I felt like it was a PITA to get my CyberQ jiving with the home wifi until I finally got it to work and then I slapped myself on the forehead. I had a couple of hours into it and then after I had it figured it out, I was kicking myself because then it seemed so easy.

I really like my CyberQ and to me it was worth the small (very small) headache getting it set up.

Thanks GLOCKer,

Tyler is already sending the 3/4 inch coupler welded to the 14-inch pinwheel damper for my Shirley. Thus, I think I'm committed at this point. I figure, I'll run the gauntlet and report back to the Brethren.

Notorious - if you get a Cyber Q that has the 3.1 version of firmware it will be easy to hook up via infrastructure mode and since you would be ordering a new one from BBQ Guru directly more than likely it would be 3.1. I have an older firmware version and it is a total nightmare to get hooked up but the 3.1 version is not hard at all.

Thanks lobster bake,

I'll see where this goes. I have flameboss 300 in hand so it looks like I'm crossing the rubicon next week when the pinwheel damper arrives. I hope to get back asap

Notorious - if you get a Cyber Q that has the 3.1 version of firmware it will be easy to hook up via infrastructure mode and since you would be ordering a new one from BBQ Guru directly more than likely it would be 3.1. I have an older firmware version and it is a total nightmare to get hooked up but the 3.1 version is not hard at all.

Not sure which firmware is on mine, but I ordered one back in January and it took all of about three minutes to setup. Super easy.

Thanks ebijack,

Hi, I am Michael Collins of Flame Boss. I am not as confident as someone on my staff that a 15 CFM blower will be enough. What I am confident of is that we have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. If you try it and you don't like it, we will give you your money back.

We are experimenting with a blower splitter and if you want to test that with two 15 CFM blowers you can. Contact me by private message if you want to try that.

As suggested by another contributor, you may need to keep the exhaust vent almost closed to avoid overshooting the set temperature. This may not be desirable with wood. If the airflow is too great when the blower isn't running the temperature will go out of control.

I just finished my first cook using a pit controller.

I've done dozens of overnight cooks on my kamado grills.....but today I ran a new WSM with a BBQ Guru DigiQDX2 and it was insanely simple.

I looked at both the CyberQ and the others, but ultimately went with the controller that my buddies have been using with zero problems over the years.

Glad I did. The WSM is a bit more "work" as you have to layer everything together....and part of it is fooling with a water pan (which I was not adequately prepared for......had to keep shuttling water outside to fill it)......

I didn't fool with letting the grill come up to temp on it's one before going live with the Guru. i just dumped a Weber chimney of hot coals on top of the full fire ring, plugged everything in, shut the vents and let it ride.

Insanely simple after that.

I'm very pleased with the simplicity of this setup.

Wifi......meh, no need or desire for that for me. I can, however, see where it may be nice to have....but the start up time and simplicity of my DigiQDX2 set-up is much to my liking.

I drank the koolade of the Flameboss 300 and bought one. The first thing I noticed upon receiving the unit was that the hardware components were very cheaply made. The fan was cheap plastic and had no way to control fan draft. The way the fan connected to my cabinet was like an afterthought. They sent some little fifty cent el cheapo bushing that fit very loosely to the ball valve on my cabinet. The probes and cables were also very chincy. The FB was easy to set up as long as you don't mind typing in a lot of numbers and letters like you would if you were texting from a flip phone. If you want to monitor 3 meats with the FB you have to buy extra probes and Y splitters. Again I believe this is an afterthought.

Proof is in the pudding though, right. The Flameboss controlled my pit really well for a while. That is until my pit started drafting through the fan. Then I got runaway temps. I contacted FB and they told me to choke down my exhaust. Wrong answer for any smoker. Especially a charcoal burner. Then they told me to purchase another chincy fan that had a shutter door that closes when the fan isn't blowing. Well this other fan costs nearly $100 and FB would neither pay that nor would they give me any credit for the original fan that would not work as advertised. Flameboss has a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied within the first 30 days of purchase. I chose to exercise this option and sent the unit back for full refund.

Here is a pic of the cook graph from one of my cooks with the Flameboss. You can see when the temp started climbing' You can also see where I opened the cook chamber and added water to my pan to cool the pit down.

Last edited:
I purchased a BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud after receiving the refund from the Flameboss. First off I noticed the quality of the hardware. The fan is solid and made of stainless steel. It has an adjustable fan damper with graduation marks for consistent settings. The fan fits tightly into the stainless Guru adapter and it has an o ring to seal the connection tightly. The probes and cables just feel like quality. The pit probe has the option of removing the alligator clip and putting the probe into a pit probe clip. The controller itself took about 3 minutes to set up and all of it was done through my phone. No hunting and pecking the numbers. Nothing could be easier. The Guru controller has three ports built in for monitoring three meats along with the pit probe port. This was well thought out so there is no need for Y splitters. This might not seem like a big deal but it is. I am an electrical tech by trade and the less electrical connections you have the less problems you will have in the future.

Proof is in the pudding once again. Below is a graph of a cook I did using the CyberQ Cloud. You can clearly see that turning a fan off and on as opposed to a variable speed fan is just as good if not better. My personal opinion is that FB needed a gimmick to cut into Guru's market. The variable speed fan is just such a gimmick.

Last edited:
Flame Boss all the way. Excellent product and awesome customer service. Jeff Davis is great! Love their products! You can't go wrong!

Got a guru have treated it like a rental car. I can say that it is water resistant since its been outside for 3 years. Works fine all the time. Never used a flame boss.

Back