THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting to really look like a cooker

JB originally planned on just using the firebox door for draft control and there is certainly nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to add a daisy wheel for finer control. Question, how do you add a flat daisy wheel vent to a curved tank? Answer, you fabricate a flat surface:wink: Made a shallow box from 1/8" plate and cut firebox door radius into the top & bottom edges and added it to the firebox door, all drilled and cut out for the +/- 8" daisy wheel.

2015-09-15%2014.56.12_zpsdtgahdrw.jpg

Added hinge and a simple cam latch with a cool touch spring handle.

2015-09-15%2016.20.53_zpsmck6zizb.jpg

2015-09-15%2016.20.39_zpsxrunxztu.jpg

Somewhat complicated piece, but thinking out and fabricating this kind of stuff is what I really enjoy.

2015-09-15%2016.18.56_zpswafmo3zk.jpg

Also finished up the main cooking grate and added pegs to the cooker to hold it flush with the top or two alternate locations, one just above the firebox in case JB wants to add a baffle or water pan and one about 1/2 way up in case he wants a second cooking layer or a drip pan under the rotisserie. I used 1/2" cold rolled rod, drilled the tank, inserted the pegs and butt welded them in place; very solid. You can see the butt welds on the outside of the tank; they will get ground down and disappear before paint.

2015-09-15%2016.22.08_zpsrpcndtvg.jpg

2015-09-15%2016.19.59_zpsu1emuh80.jpg

The tank diameter and peg placement will also accommodate a standard 22.5 Weber type grate at any of the 3 locations

2015-09-15%2016.22.34_zpsvexxkomk.jpg

The to-do list is getting short; just a handle on the lid, exhaust & rain cap, weld on the wing tables, make the thermometer mount, mount the rotisserie hardware, add another grate that will sit above the main grate level, clean it up and paint.

Thanks for checking in.

where did you get the daisy wheel? I am thinking about doing this with a 500 gallon tank, thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!

Are you adding a diffuser plate?

Last edited:
That looks really cool. I have been watching this thread getting some ideas for mine. I am trying to work out the last details of my custom cooker
and I have the same idea for the fire box but the square pop out will be the whole door with the daisy wheel being in the door. Nice work my man!!

Back