Custom build for jbounds286

dave when can i place an order for mine? :)
i've got a lot of oak in the backyard needs burning this winter.

Here is the patio as of now
2015-09-25%2010.06.38%20%281024x576%29.jpg

Looks like a great area for cookin but I think your Mini WSM may develop some feelings of inadequacy.

Thanks for all the kind words; who would have thunk a 13 page 180 post build thread:loco:

jbounds286 and fwismoker came up with an interesting design based largely on fwismoker's recent experience with high temperature cooks using all wood in his modified drum. Putting together a build guided by their design was really fun. I really learned a lot on this build.

The spring assist hinge for the lid is really neat. The lid like the rest of the tank is +/-1/4" steel and weighs something like 50 pounds. Without the spring assist it is tough to open; with the spring assist it is a very easy one-hand task. Definitely a concept that could be adapted to larger offset doors.

The exhaust was new for me and a really simple way to accomodate a rainproof exhaust. It drafts just fine but in retrospect I think I should have added a short, maybe 6" tall stack.

The intake damper on the firebox door isn't rocket science but does demonstrat how to put a flat daisy wheel on a curved surface.

fwismoker came up with the really neat idea of the swinging top grate. The idea was figuring out a simple way to be able to have a grate that had enough clearance to still be able to use the rotisserie. Making it with a swing mount is a pretty neat way to move it out of the way when accessing the rotisserie. It also works with the main cooking grate to essentially double the cooking area.

This will used as a higher temp rotisserie/grill most of the time but it will also smoke at lower temps and I'm pretty well convinced with a larger fire it can easily push 700*-800* or more; with a good stone it could work as a pretty good pizza cooker.

All done, it is a pretty cool design and certainly something that can be done as a home build with basic fabrication tools.

Thanks for sharing this adventure, it was fun.

Any chance you would make another one? This looks perfect
For me ;)

Sure, I can build another, but unfortunately shipping to the west coast would cost as much or more than the cooker, but shoot me a PM if you are serious.

Back