THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Started a batch of beef bacon today with 4.7 lbs of beef belly from Porter Road.

Ingredients - Kosher salt, brown sugar, granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, ground fennel, ground bay leaf, and cure#1

53461190467_d3108a048c_o.jpg

Vacuum-packed and in the chill chest for roughly two weeks, ay which point it will be cold smoked.

53462525450_17eebfd301_o.jpg

Never had beef belly. Why is it not whole though? Did you slice it like that, or did it come that way?

I store them up "party size" too. Enough for a good charcuterie tray, or one weekend worth at a time. Also if you're dehydrating - it goes faster due to more surface area. Same with smoke - greater surface area.

Never had it, no idea how its best served. I just know i like very thin sliced pork belly bacon, so its best to keep it whole as to not have much waste slicing. I use the end piece for Carbonara.

Beef bacon is amazing. Used a lot in Muslim areas. Truly not a poor mans pork bacon.

I work in a Muslim area for a month at a time and I sure do miss good ole pork bacon!!!! Sometimes we do get beef bacon and I will say it’s not bad but can’t beat pork! Although I must say will definitely have to give making some a go

Where do you guys get your beef belly/ navel?
I would love to make pastrami out of it like they did awhile back.

Not sure where you could buy some. I raise my own beef so I have the processor cut me a slab of navel. But I have to sacrifice some plate ribs (dino ribs) for it. Can't have everything.

Back