Creamy Crab Stuffed Chicken

Grimm5577

is Blowin Smoke!
One of the current Throwdowns is “Meat on Meat”, So I wanted to do something a little unique but simple and quick, and in-expensive.

So I got a boneless split chicken breast, (2 breasts still connected). I pounded the breasts so they were flat and thinner and then sprinkled some Simple Marvelous Season All on the inside. I then took some of my creamy crab mixture and put a hefty smear of it down on the inside of one of the breasts.

IMG_2989.jpg

I then crumbled up some Queso Fresco on top of the Creamy Crab Mixture.

IMG_2990.jpg

Another smear of the creamy crab mixture and it was time lace the bird up.

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

I smoked the stuffed breast on Diesel Boy over briquettes and hickory at about 250 Degrees for about 30 minutes or so, and then moved the fire basket up to the sear/grilling level and blasted each side for about 5-7 minutes per side. Pulled from the grill at around 160 degrees and rested in foil for about 30 minutes.

IMG_2995.jpg

It was nice and juicy!

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

I sliced it up and plated it with some Creamy Garlic Crab sauce.

IMG_3001.jpg

Ingredients:

1 – Full Boneless Split Breast
1 Cup – Crab Meat
1 Can Progresso Recipe Starters Creamy Roasted Garlic
1 Cup Bread Crumbs (Panko)
1/4 – 1/2 Cup Queso Fresco
1/4 Cup Chopped Shallot
1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper
1 Tbls Old Bay
Process:

Mix crab meat, bread crumbs, shallots, peppers, Old Bay, and half the can of creamy roasted garlic sauce in a bowl. Allow to chill and meld flavors.

Pound the chicken breasts so they are thinner and more uniform in thickness. Season the inside with your favorite chicken spice blend, I used Simply Marvelous’s Season All.

Place the 1/3 of the crab mixture on to the inside of one breast, top it with some Queso Fresco, and then add half of the remaining crab mixture.

Place the other breast over the top and tie the breasts up so they stay together.

In a small pot, pour the un-used have of the cream sauce, and the remaining crab meat. Let that simmer on the stove while you cook the breasts.

I like to cook my chicken in-directly as it adds some awesome flavor to the meat that you can’t get any other way. In-direct on my drum smoker (Diesel Boy) means the fire is in the bottom and I’m cooking on a grate 20+” above it. (not exactly in-direct) but none the less it works great.

This cooked at 250 Degrees for about 30 minutes, at which time I raised the fire basket to the sear/grilling level and gave each side a quick blast of some flame licking high heat. About 5-7 minutes per side. I then foiled it up and let it rest for about half an hour.

Slice, drizzle some sauce over top and serve.

Thanks I hope you enjoyed the post.

Outstanding cook, Grimm. The flavor combos sound delicious.
Did you use canned crab, or fresh picked?

Thanks Gman, the flavors worked great together. I must confess I used real canned crab, not that imitation crap. But still canned. I made a crab mac and cheese one time from live cooked crabs and it took nearly half a day to clean the crabs. From the can is much easier and quicker.

Thanks Gman, the flavors worked great together. I must confess I used real canned crab, not that imitation crap. But still canned. I made a crab mac and cheese one time from live cooked crabs and it took nearly half a day to clean the crabs. From the can is much easier and quicker.
Good deal. Glad to know the canned crab works well here. I use some myself and it is fine for most things. Never the fake stuff-blech.
I definitely am going to do your recipe.
Thanks

Indeed. A stunner. Nice recipe too, with nothing overpowering the crab. Might just give this one a go. Oh, and I agree. Chicken indirectly gets a great flavor!

Very elegant!

What's Simple Marvelous Season All and what substitute could I use?

Simple Marvelous Season All: Add a little something extra to French fries and vegetables, or use it to season chicken, brisket or pork. Either way your taste buds are sure to be pleased.
simply-marvelous-season-all

To substitute use some old bay on the chicken. Or do a salt, pepper, onion, garlic, paprika mix. I always loved old bay and chicken.

Indeed. A stunner. Nice recipe too, with nothing overpowering the crab. Might just give this one a go. Oh, and I agree. Chicken indirectly gets a great flavor!

I thought it came off well for a throw together monday night meal. prep was quick, cooking didn't take too long, and the pay off seemed to exceed the effort.

Think about adding a little cream cheese to the mixture that you stuff. I think it could add some better ooze factor.

Back