Crawfish/seafood boil-how to buy, boil and eat

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Harry Soo came back into town for Troy's annual crawfish boil. There were a ton of awesome youtubers there. I can honestly say every single one of them is a really nice person.

Since Troy didn't think he'd have time to do a video (he did), I talked him into talking to my camera and he walked us through everything...and I mean everything.

We went to the store and bought the crawfish, discussed the recipe, and Jean (the wife of Alton "Dawgfather's bbq") explained exactly how to peel and eat them. I think this is the best one stop crawfish tutorial I could have come up with. To top it all off, it's a fun video where a lot of funny things happened.

If it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, I'm not. I'm only saying all that because I don't think the algorithm is going to like me veering so far off topic. Last time I tried something like this, the video bombed pretty hard. Still it was fun to make a great memory so I can live with it.

https://youtu.be/OgE66FJg_Z4

You need to rename that video to "This is how T-Roy boils crawfish". Just saying...

That was the most pitiful display of my culture. I can name at least 20 things wrong with it but I'll keep my opinions to myself. I almost made comments on YT but didn't want to bring drama to your channel.

Last edited:
You need to rename that video to "This is how T-Roy boils crawfish". Just saying...

That was the most pitiful display of my culture. I can name at least 20 things wrong with it but I'll keep my opinions to myself. I almost made comments on YT but didn't want to bring drama to your channel.

cJp49DO.gif

I want to know the 20 things. I thought there was way too much seasonings added. I almost had a sodium OD when he added half a container of table salt:shocked:

Judging by the comments so far, i suppose there is a reason there was A LOT of leftovers. I just hope all that leftover crawfish was put to good use. I would pull all them tails and make a Gumbo. But im afraid this video was a publicity stunt for YT, seems everyone involved was there to promote their brand.

YEP, that salt and all the seasoning was a BIG reason they had so many leftovers. You'll never see a full table of crawfish left at my house with a crowd that big. 45 lbs and 35 lbs left over---=WTH? Ya'll eat skinny over there but ya'll all fat, Splain that to me.

Cajun food isn't all about being so peppered you can't eat it, it's spicy at the right levels to give a little burn with flavor that makes you want more.

I might make a list but the whole video speaks for itself.

I can imagine that tasted like a chemical bath with all that liquid crab boil seasoning.

IMMA quit or it might inspire me to make a Youtube reaction page for all the crap food channels I see on YT.

I'm just joking, I have a face for radio!!!!.... Maybe not----------

I wouldn't know the first thing about a crawfish boil...but it looked like ya had a good time!
The only thing I noticed was the back of the pickup was devoid of cases of alcohol...and that cut me deeply. Other than that...I liked it!

-D

BBM,

I *never* critique other people's cooking. In Louisiana we have a saying, "There are as many recipes for gumbo as there are cooks who make it."

However, I grew up boiling crawfish, crabs, and shrimp. My uncle (who I cook with regularly) is a successful competition boiler. In college I worked crawfish farms and a catering company doing boils for over two years. In season, I used to boil 1500-2000lbs per day. I once cooked over 3000lbs for the Exxon Family Picnic. After watching your video, I can say that I would not recommend T-Roy's methods and approach.

Your videos are generally excellent and I enjoy them, but I agree with the critics in the comments here.

David

I am reminded of the saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

So I have no comment.

Nope, don't continue typing he says, biting tongue. Ouch, bite, ouch, bite, bite, bite

I am pretty far from LA and hardly an expert, but I too saw a few things I wouldn’t do.

BUT, I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing!

Since everyone has their own methods, can a native LA resident link me to the way you think is best in your area? I plan to do this in NY over the summer for a bunch of friends and I really really want to go full traditional or as close to as possible

Since everyone has their own methods, can a native LA resident link me to the way you think is best in your area? I plan to do this in NY over the summer for a bunch of friends and I really really want to go full traditional or as close to as possible

Second this request. I started doing a boil Memorial day weekend last year, and it doubled in size this time around. 120Lbs for about 35 people. No one left hungry and there wasn't a single crawfish left. I'm just a Houston dude stuck in western PA, so I know a little but I could always use more tips on best methods for a boil. How about a teaching moment instead of putting people on blast as a knock on culture?

Second this request. I started doing a boil Memorial day weekend last year, and it doubled in size this time around. 120Lbs for about 35 people. No one left hungry and there wasn't a single crawfish left. I'm just a Houston dude stuck in western PA, so I know a little but I could always use more tips on best methods for a boil. How about a teaching moment instead of putting people on blast as a knock on culture?

Eastern PA here. I did a seafood boil last week. I couldn't even find pre cooked crawfish, let alone live ones, lol. Also, none of the seasonings that T-Roy dude used was carried at 4 chain grocery stores in my area. Couldnt even find crawfish boil seasoning.

I just used half a pot of water, chicken base to taste (for the water) a few bottles of spice classics Cajun seasoning, and a few teaspoons of Old bay just for an extra boost in flavor. While im sure its not traditional, it was delicious.

Also, instead of andouille sausage, i used Polish Kielbasa sausage.

Eastern PA here. I did a seafood boil last week. I couldn't even find pre cooked crawfish, let alone live ones, lol. Also, none of the seasonings that T-Roy dude used was carried at 4 chain grocery stores in my area. Couldnt even find crawfish boil seasoning.

I just used half a pot of water, chicken base to taste (for the water) a few bottles of spice classics Cajun seasoning, and a few teaspoons of Old bay just for an extra boost in flavor. While im sure its not traditional, it was delicious.

Also, instead of andouille sausage, i used Polish Kielbasa sausage.

I overnight them in from Louisiana. Check Louisiana Crawfish Company and KLC Farms. It's not cheap, and the reason I do it once a year. You can order packages from LCC with seasoning, also amazon is your friend for boil seasoning in 1-4lb bags. Swamp Fire and Frog Bone have been good to me for the pre-mix route. Academy also will ship without breaking the bank. I bought an 80qt pot/strainer and Jet burner from them a couple years ago.

I overnight them in from Louisiana. Check Louisiana Crawfish Company and KLC Farms. It's not cheap, and the reason I do it once a year. You can order packages from LCC with seasoning, also amazon is your friend for boil seasoning in 1-4lb bags. Swamp Fire and Frog Bone have been good to me for the pre-mix route. Academy also will ship without breaking the bank. I bought an 80qt pot/strainer and Jet burner from them a couple years ago.

I kinda do things spare of the moment. Whenever i plan a cookout/picnic/family reunion things always go south. I can't even count how many times i had too much leftovers because late cancellations, or bad weather..ect. For how much crawfish cost (even driving to Louisiana) to get them, its not worth it. Its actually cheaper to use shrimp and crab. And if im being honest, I like crawfish but i prefer crab.

Back