Costco Black Pearl Ceramic or Vision Ceramic

Nope...not around here...we were at Costco today kickin' around. Pretty cool though! :thumb:

The Black Pearl is made by Grill Dome. Appears to be the same as their Infinity Series.

Not sure if this helps at all but maybe a brethren has a Grill Dome & can comment.

The Vision appears to be the same as the GourmetPot kamado. Here's another post on this: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101773

Seems to be a number of kamados being manufactured and sold under different names now.

Thom, after reading the reviews on the Costco page, it looks like this is not really a deal. The CS from Grill Dome is not very good. Parts are not available for purchase and fit and finish is not that great.

I have a grill dome and for the 300 I spent on it it is a fantastic unit. But at 1G I'm goiung to big green egg instead of grill dome. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I got the BGE and gave the grill dome to my brother.

I can't comment an any of the knockoffs because I just don't know anything about them but a BGE has a lifetime warranty so you're buying a grill that will last you for many years and you know the company will be there. Why buy a knockoff over a couple hundred bucks?

Vision Grill

I was given a Vision Grill as a present a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to share a few observations.

But first, I'm not a stranger to Kamado grills. I owned my first one in 1972. It was the old extra-large and heavy type with the vent door and the top made out of the same material as the body. That was a very easy to control unit probably because of the thermal mass. I had to leave it behind when I moved.

I traded a Kettle Weber straight across for my second one in 1979. (One of my better deals!) It is the same size as the current BGE large models, but is not a "ceramic" grill. I've used it regularly since, rebuilding it once. (I added a BGE top and bottom vent in part.) It still works fine. Temperature control on this unit is more difficult.

I've used a BGE and like it. I would rate its temperature control and ease of use about the same as my first Kamado and superior to my current Kamado.

Now to the Vision Grill. It is as easy to use as the BGE -- really. The temperature is just plain steady. That's on both lump and briquettes. Both the top and bottom have markings which make it easy to go to a setting that you have used before.

The construction quality seems good. Assembling the holder was more difficult than I like -- but it did go together. (Hint: don't tighten any bolts until they are all started!) And there was an extra set of hardware included for every different fastener size.

I don't have any crazing nor any missing glaze or scratches or dents!

Removing the top of the double rack requires that have to take both racks out and then remove the top one. That's a bigger challenge if you have already warmed up the BBQ! I do like the folding design though.

Bottom line: I'm liking the Vision Grill.

If I price out the cost of a large BGE with side tables, cover, double rack and holder it comes to $1197 and change. (2011 price list from a dealer)The Costco price for the Vision was $549. That makes me like it even better!:grin:

Back