Cornell chicken marinade

Demosthenes

Full Fledged Farker
Has anyone tried this recipe before...and if so, did you marinate it for the entire 24 hours? Numerous recipes show the same ingredients, but the marination times vary from 3-4 hours to 3-24 hours, to a full 24 hours. I tried it this past weekend but only marinated the chicken for about 3 hours. (I didn't want to wait until the next day) The result was very good. It had a 'bit' of a 'tang' to it, but in a good way, and I attribute it to the apple cider vinegar. With that said, I can't see marinating it any longer than 4 hours, thinking that the 'tang' would be overpowering if left to marinate past 4 hours, let alone 24 hours. Is there the possibility that the 'tang' would not be overpowering if left in the marinade for longer periods of time? I did another batch yesterday (marinated 3 hrs.) with the leftover marinade, but added Montreal Chicken Seasoning to the chicken once it was on the grill, to see if I could bump up the flavor profile, and to my surprise, the 'tang' was not present......but the result was still VERY good chicken. Obviously the Montreal's did alter the flavor profile. I'm wondering now if I do a full 24 hour marinade and add the Montreal's, that I can end up with the flavor profile from yesterday's chicken....but with the added 'tang' to it as well.

I've done the Cornell recipe countless times over the years.. Back when I was helping my dad and uncle pit master for local community BBQs, we'd marinate it overnight and flip and baste every 10 minutes over an open pit. Always turned out great.

Because of the raw egg in the Cornell recipe, I wouldn't give it more than a week's life in the fridge (and that's only because or the mild anti-bacterial action of the vinegar). So using surplus marinade is a time-delimited action. But the egg is what makes the mop/baste part of it such an essential part of the taste profile. IMHO, of course.

I've done the Cornell recipe countless times over the years.. Back when I was helping my dad and uncle pit master for local community BBQs, we'd marinate it overnight and flip and baste every 10 minutes over an open pit. Always turned out great.

Because of the raw egg in the Cornell recipe, I wouldn't give it more than a week's life in the fridge (and that's only because or the mild anti-bacterial action of the vinegar). So using surplus marinade is a time-delimited action. But the egg is what makes the mop/baste part of it such an essential part of the taste profile. IMHO, of course.

So overnight marinating will NOT increase the ''tang' flavor profile? Sorta like meat not taking in any more smoke after 3-4 hours, eh?

I've marinated for 48 hours before with no negatives. It's really good to crisp up the skin, but when I baste I add Oakridge Secret Weapon in with it, and it steps up the flavor exponentially.

More time allows the mixture to work it's way into every nook and cranny.

And if you use the leftover mixture to baste, heat it first to sterilize it.

Has anyone tried this recipe before...and if so, did you marinate it for the entire 24 hours?

Yes, I do it all of the time, sometimes over 30 hours. The direction call for a 24 hour bath for Cornell Chicken, where as Chiavetta's and Spiedie usually both call for a 4 hour marinade. Some people confuse the three, but the recipes are similar but Chiavetta's and Spiedie have extra ingredients for flavor.

Numerous recipes show the same ingredients, but the marination times vary from 3-4 hours to 3-24 hours, to a full 24 hours. I tried it this past weekend but only marinated the chicken for about 3 hours. (I didn't want to wait until the next day) The result was very good. It had a 'bit' of a 'tang' to it, but in a good way, and I attribute it to the apple cider vinegar.

The tang maybe attributed to cider vinegar, but l have never had the "tang". I'm not saying it wasn't there, I have just never noticed it. But then again, I don't baste additional sauce when cooking (because of the vinegar), which may be the reason I don't taste it?

If you added the montreal chicken rub, but if you didn't baste because the rub was on, this might be the reason you didn't have tang?

To add to that, I personally hate vinegar, I can't even stand the smell of it. I usually tell people that if they can taste vinegar, they probably didn't have the coals hot enough or maybe the chicken wasn't close enough to the coals. But if you smoked the chicken, or cooked on a gas grill you wouldn't have the heat. Of if you basted while cooking I guess the vinegar is still present.

With that said, I can't see marinating it any longer than 4 hours, thinking that the 'tang' would be overpowering if left to marinate past 4 hours, let alone 24 hours. Is there the possibility that the 'tang' would not be overpowering if left in the marinade for longer periods of time?

Traditionally marinades do not penetrate deep into the meat, but this will if left for 24 hours.

The goal of the Cornell Chicken sauce is to make very tender yet very moist chicken with very thin crispy skin. It really doesn't add a lot of flavor, but rather brings forward the natural flavor and sweetness of the chicken. Unless you add other spices, or a very light dusting of a rub, you just have the natural flavors of the chicken that really stand out.

I'm wondering now if I do a full 24 hour marinade and add the Montreal's, that I can end up with the flavor profile from yesterday's chicken....but with the added 'tang' to it as well.

Again, I believe you will get just tender, moist, chicken after 24 hours as we do.

If you read Dr. Bakers pamphlet, he discusses the cinder-block pit relating to very hot coals an moving/flipping the rack over direct heat to indirect heat to allow even cooking of the chicken.

My 50+ years of experience in Western NY and Central NY eating Cornell or Chiavetta's chicken, I have never tasted vinegar or a tang in either of them. The chicken always comes off the hot pit hot, juicy, and tender. But again I don't see them basting the the large quantities of chicken cooking on the block pits.

At NY State fair, county fairs, local town festivals, church, and firehouse fundraisers, people stand in line for hours to get a delicious chicken dinner. Some fundraisers are sold out a month in advance of the scheduled fundraiser, thousands of meals served in just a single day.

Last edited:
Yes, I do it all of the time, sometimes over 30 hours. The direction call for a 24 hour bath for Cornell Chicken, where as Chiavetta's and Spiedie usually both call for a 4 hour marinade. Some people confuse the three, but the recipes are similar but Chiavetta's and Spiedie have extra ingredients for flavor.

The tang maybe attributed to cider vinegar, but l have never had the "tang". I'm not saying it wasn't there, I have just never noticed it. But then again, I don't baste additional sauce when cooking (because of the vinegar), which may be the reason I don't taste it?

If you added the montreal chicken rub, but if you didn't baste because the rub was on, this might be the reason you didn't have tang?

To add to that, I personally hate vinegar, I can't even stand the smell of it. I usually tell people that if they can taste vinegar, they probably didn't have the coals hot enough or maybe the chicken wasn't close enough to the coals. But if you smoked the chicken, or cooked on a gas grill you wouldn't have the heat. Of if you basted while cooking I guess the vinegar is still present.

Traditionally marinades do not penetrate deep into the meat, but this will if left for 24 hours.

The goal of the Cornell Chicken sauce is to make very tender yet very moist chicken with very thin crispy skin. It really doesn't add a lot of flavor, but rather brings forward the natural flavor and sweetness of the chicken. Unless you add other spices, or a very light dusting of a rub, you just have the natural flavors of the chicken that really stand out.

Again, I believe you will get just tender, moist, chicken after 24 hours as we do.

If you read Dr. Bakers pamphlet, he discusses the cinder-block pit relating to very hot coals an moving/flipping the rack over direct heat to indirect heat to allow even cooking of the chicken.

My 50+ years of experience in Western NY and Central NY eating Cornell or Chiavetta's chicken, I have never tasted vinegar or a tang in either of them. The chicken always comes off the hot pit hot, juicy, and tender. But again I don't see them basting the the large quantities of chicken cooking on the block pits.

At NY State fair, county fairs, local town festivals, church, and firehouse fundraisers, people stand in line for hours to get a delicious chicken dinner. Some fundraisers are sold out a month in advance of the scheduled fundraiser, thousands of meals served in just a single day.

The tang I was referring to was more of a "I'm tasting a slight hint of vinegar I think". The reason I was inquiring about the length of time in the marinade was because, if I was getting that hint of vinegar from just 3 hours of marination,...my thought was that the vinegar might be too overpowering if left in for 24 hours. The fact is that, I don't know how it's supposed to taste...maybe it IS supposed to taste like vinegar....you know, like a regional thing with a vinegar based bbq sauce.

The first cook I'm guessing my heat wasn't high enough as you stated, seeing that I did taste a hint of vinegar, and my skin was not crispy. I cooked with charcoal and a couple of splinters off of a log split. The smoke was more for my 'visual' pleasure :grin: than for actual flavor. The skin was bite thru. The second cook where there was no hint of vinegar and with the Montreal's, the fire must have been hotter....but no crispy skin.
The thing that did stand out the most was, it WAS very tender and moist. And as you also stated, it did not have a lot of flavor (aside from the hint of vinegar) and that is why I chose to add the Montreal's.

I'm going to give it another shot real soon and go with the 24 hour marinade and to make sure my temp is at least 325 degrees.

Thanks for your input...much appreciated!:clap2:

The Cornell sauce is easy enough to make, but doesn't keep well for long because of the egg as an ingredient.

However for travel and last minute emergencies, Spiedie makes a Cornell Style Sauce that is pasteurized for a long shelf life. I always keep a few bottles on hand. http://shop.spiedie.com/statefairchickensauce.aspx
Great for gifts and last minute emergencies.

If you have a Wegman's near you, it is readily available at most locations. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll see if I can help you find a source.

Back