Convince me not to buy this griddle

carl_694

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Carl
Is there a reason a homeowner shouldn't buy this griddle (or the 24" version)? I tend to buy into the buy once, cry once philosophy. I know the Blackstone type models are a lot less pricey and lighter, but it'd be storing covered outside and should not need to move it much. Just wondering, from an ease of use standpoint, if there are issues I'm not aware of with this kind of equipment.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...WmBAWYWIbWFwgcrdciCEsHej54pvqAkAaAtwVEALw_wcB

Looks like a premium product to me. I'd much rather have a 3/4" thick stainless griddle than the 1/4" cast iron. :-D

It would be super nice if it was a 4 burner. But, I say, do it. It looks like a quality griddle.

We usually are guilty of helping you spend more money, not talk you out of it (unless it is garbage), and so far, we all like it.

Check local supply stores, too. I tried to order a Cambro through that site. They changed a ton in shipping, and then left it out of my order! Just shipped all the pans. Ended up buying it locally for about $10 more. Maybe you can find one of those griddles at a restaurant supply shop.

Compared to consumer grade griddles that is a real pleasure to cook on, trouble is they aren't made to store outside and you will have issues with the cook top if you try.

Also, those thick stainless tops are intended for daily use along with an end of shift wash down and mopping of the general area they are used in.

Anyone who's ever cooked on one in a commercial setting is familiar with the cleaning and wash down process required to get the stainless top back to where it needs to be to start the day again and that generates a couple gallons minimum of greasy oily waste water which would be a disposal issue at home with out a separating trap.

~Stick with a carbon steel top for home use, far easier and less costly to maintain.

The price tag of commercial de-greasers and lemon juice by the gallon needed for a commercial griddle top are expensive and without an exhaust hood overhead pulling away the fumes while your cleaning your lungs are going to take in some nasty fumes.

I have an outdoor built-in stainless griddle. I find the upkeep pretty minimal. I do perform a heavy cleaning after every big cook, but it is fairly simple, and judicious use of paper towels makes the grease/oil a trash-can item for the most part.

The Costco Business Center has commercial grade countertop griddles, very similar if not the same. If there is one near you you may want to check it out to avoid shipping. It has to be the "Business Center" though, plain jane Costco does not stock them.

You can pick those up in restaurant auctions around here relatively cheap. If I was setup to use something like that, I'd pick one up for sure.

I've had 60" 5 burner stainless commercial cooktop in the past. It was used in my outdoor cooking area. I have since sold it because it really wasn't made to be used this way. It had pilot lights used to start each burner that I didn't use as I didn't want it lit all the time. I was able to use it on standard 20# lp bottles but it was difficult for me to find the right pressure regulator that supplied the correct pressures for various cooking needs. It did take longer to heat up and cool down due to the cooktop thickness. And if your outdoor conditions allows for rusting on a regular steel surface, expect the same on a stainless surface.

I went back to the camp chef 48" grill/griddle and have found it much easier to use - which I do more often the the larger commercial usit. Your experience may vary from mine.

Back