THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Just got my new 36" Blackstone Tuesday. It's still in the box, but I have been wondering about oils to use. I know any high temp oil will do, but was thinking about a butter flavored oil. I found these, has anyone tried them? Curious how they work, what is the smoke point, and do they taste anything like butter? Any other suggestions welcome.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-...btyTC2X5pm6ZWVyhZRU0B6YG6QE3Xl1BoCkLIQAvD_BwE

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/pa...cKzTTX4bc_MSHWAjH0PNFEWsv_O6UPgBoCyUgQAvD_BwE

I can't speak from Blackstone experience since I haven't picked one up yet, but "whirl" butter flavored oil supposedly has a smoke point 50 degrees higher than butter. That would put it higher than lard or vegetable shortening as well so I think it'd be good.

I've seen some suggestions on the internet to use the Whirl butter flavored oil for really good hashbrowns, but no personal experience.

For seasoning cast iron or my drum, I use flax seed oil or avocado oil. Both have very high smoke points and the seasoning is nice and hard so it doesn't come off.

For seasoning cast iron or my drum, I use flax seed oil or avocado oil. Both have very high smoke points and the seasoning is nice and hard so it doesn't come off.

I will use lard for seasoning. I have used it for years on CI, don't see any point in getting fancy now. Will probably use it for cooking, quite a bit too. I am looking for a liquid flavored butter option.

I will use lard for seasoning. I have used it for years on CI, don't see any point in getting fancy now. Will probably use it for cooking, quite a bit too. I am looking for a liquid flavored butter option.

Why not use ghee/clarified butter for the butter flavoring instead of butter flavored oil? The smoke point on ghee/clarified butter is 485 degrees.

Why not use ghee/clarified butter for the butter flavoring instead of butter flavored oil? The smoke point on ghee/clarified butter is 485 degrees.

That is probably the route I will take, most of the time. But Ghee is a solid at room temp, and I was wondering if there was something out there that would stay liquid, at room temp, so I could keep it in a squeeze bottle, for convenience. Also Ghee needs to be refrigerated, something pantry stable would be nice, just as an option, if I am out of ghee. Never used a flat top before, and mainly trying to get a feel for what others are using. Thanks for the feedback.

Bacon.

Start with BACON.

Everything you cook after the BACON will taste better after starting with BACON.

Save your bacon drippings always, for the times you don't have bacon.:doh:

Did I mention BACON?

Thanks, I assure you, I always have some bacon grease sitting around. Just used some today.

Bacon.

Start with BACON.

Everything you cook after the BACON will taste better after starting with BACON.

Save your bacon drippings always, for the times you don't have bacon.:doh:

Did I mention BACON?

Attachments

Just don't use flaxseed oil. Yes it will look pretty, but it will start flaking off. I remember running across an article about old cast iron. People who only want to display it will only buy CI seasoned with flaxseed. Those that actually want to use the CI, won't.

I appreciate the tip. I know flax seed oil is the new trend with CI. I have read a lot of bad things about it, for seasoning. I grew up watching my grandma use CI, she always used lard, and that is what I use. I have never had a problem.

Just don't use flaxseed oil. Yes it will look pretty, but it will start flaking off. I remember running across an article about old cast iron. People who only want to display it will only buy CI seasoned with flaxseed. Those that actually want to use the CI, won't.

Back