THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Okay lets hear your Superstitions you have and why?

I'll start things off with stuff I do;

1. I listen to certain kinds of music for certain category turn ins while making turn in boxes.
2. I pre walk my turn in path at least 10 times and time it each TIME and add a couple minutes.
3. I collect smoke from my smoker in a mason jar from good cooks I feel I had. In turn once the smoker is lit and up to temp before the meat goes on. I will drop a small puff of smoke out of the mason jar into the smoker.

1. I listen to certain kinds of music for certain category turn ins while making turn in boxes.

We have a specific turn-in playlist.

2. I pre walk my turn in path at least 10 times and time it each TIME and add a couple minutes.

My wife does this.

3. I collect smoke from my smoker in a mason jar from good cooks I feel I had. In turn once the smoker is lit and up to temp before the meat goes on. I will drop a small puff of smoke out of the mason jar into the smoker.

Nope. We don't do this. That is just weird. :boink: :becky:

I'm not sure if it is superstition or just habit, but I have specific shirts and underwear for competitions :tsk: I also have a bagel, banana and orange juice for Saturday morning breakfast.

We use WSMs, my wife got me a Weber hat at the beginning of 2015 and we had a really good competition year. I wont be going to any comps in 2016 without the hat. She also has her lucky black hats, a special coin, and a stuffed animal/cow named Moo-Moo that rides in the front seat with us to all comps.

1. We have specific music that we play during turn ins, too.

2. I cut my hair (what's left of it anyway) before each contest.

3. I set up my prep table a certain way from left to right - tool box, timelines, radio, etc.

4. Do some sort of alcohol induced acrobatic feat Friday night/Saturday early morning.

We always turn in on the sevens (it's a Jack thing)11:57, 12:27, 12:57, and 1:27...:crazy: And I give my beautiful box walker a big ol smooch for luck! :razz:

I have a pair of "lucky" underwear, I had them on when we got our first walk, and I only wear them during turn in to preserve them. Fortunately our first walk was only 2 years ago, and yes they do get washed :boxing:

I have to wear a bandana during competition. It can't be the same bandana two competitions in a row.

My whole team has started doing it now too. We look ridiculous.

1. I wear the same t-shirt on Friday's (even if I have to work - stains and all :grin:).

2. I crack open my first beer on Saturday when I put chicken onto the smoker

3. 11:11

4. We have two terms we yell when boxes leave for turn ins: Omaha (channeling Mr. Manning) and Flapjack (that one has a funny story around it...find us on a Friday and I'll share :grin:).

I crack open a Guiness draught after my last turn in. We also ring a bell that is hanging from a pigs mouth after every turn in.

Friday lunch/snack is always a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich (and I hate grape jelly). After the last turn-in, every person who's helped with the cook does a toast with their beverage of choice. I'm the official box runner now since I ran the boxes when we got our GC.

Back