Comp BBQ Superstitions... Thread

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Okay lets hear your Superstitions you have and why?

I'll start things off with stuff I do;

1. I listen to certain kinds of music for certain category turn ins while making turn in boxes.
2. I pre walk my turn in path at least 10 times and time it each TIME and add a couple minutes.
3. I collect smoke from my smoker in a mason jar from good cooks I feel I had. In turn once the smoker is lit and up to temp before the meat goes on. I will drop a small puff of smoke out of the mason jar into the smoker.

1. I listen to certain kinds of music for certain category turn ins while making turn in boxes.

We have a specific turn-in playlist.

2. I pre walk my turn in path at least 10 times and time it each TIME and add a couple minutes.

My wife does this.

3. I collect smoke from my smoker in a mason jar from good cooks I feel I had. In turn once the smoker is lit and up to temp before the meat goes on. I will drop a small puff of smoke out of the mason jar into the smoker.

Nope. We don't do this. That is just weird. :boink: :becky:

I'm not sure if it is superstition or just habit, but I have specific shirts and underwear for competitions :tsk: I also have a bagel, banana and orange juice for Saturday morning breakfast.

My only comp superstition was that in order for me to do well, I had to have a cup of Ron_Ls coffee on Saturday morning.

We use WSMs, my wife got me a Weber hat at the beginning of 2015 and we had a really good competition year. I wont be going to any comps in 2016 without the hat. She also has her lucky black hats, a special coin, and a stuffed animal/cow named Moo-Moo that rides in the front seat with us to all comps.

1. We have specific music that we play during turn ins, too.

2. I cut my hair (what's left of it anyway) before each contest.

3. I set up my prep table a certain way from left to right - tool box, timelines, radio, etc.

4. Do some sort of alcohol induced acrobatic feat Friday night/Saturday early morning.

3. I set up my prep table a certain way from left to right - tool box, timelines, radio, etc.

I do this because we've figured out a good work flow. I didn't know that I was being superstitious :-D

We always turn in on the sevens (it's a Jack thing)11:57, 12:27, 12:57, and 1:27...:crazy: And I give my beautiful box walker a big ol smooch for luck! :razz:

I have a pair of "lucky" underwear, I had them on when we got our first walk, and I only wear them during turn in to preserve them. Fortunately our first walk was only 2 years ago, and yes they do get washed :boxing:

I have to wear a bandana during competition. It can't be the same bandana two competitions in a row.

My whole team has started doing it now too. We look ridiculous.

I cook with WSM's and minion method. I will light 12 or 14 coals in chimney, never 13. I also play a Waylon song when putting brisket on the pit. A proper send off that has become habit.

1. I wear the same t-shirt on Friday's (even if I have to work - stains and all :grin:).

2. I crack open my first beer on Saturday when I put chicken onto the smoker

3. 11:11

4. We have two terms we yell when boxes leave for turn ins: Omaha (channeling Mr. Manning) and Flapjack (that one has a funny story around it...find us on a Friday and I'll share :grin:).

I crack open a Guiness draught after my last turn in. We also ring a bell that is hanging from a pigs mouth after every turn in.

i wear the same shirt at every competition (it's just comfortable thats all) and we drink scotch after the final turn in.

Every sat morning at 7am I play Willie Nelson's greatest hits. Then at 9am it's a Tx whiskey toast to not being last. Then a whiskey and water for the awards.

Friday lunch/snack is always a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich (and I hate grape jelly). After the last turn-in, every person who's helped with the cook does a toast with their beverage of choice. I'm the official box runner now since I ran the boxes when we got our GC.

Back