Commercial Rubs = Not a cook????

Four pages of comments, and only deguerre noticed the missing word, "only."

And, we all know he ain't a cook -- seven zeros, two with ribeye? :becky:

CD

I know I don't count as I didn't read the original postings and only came here looking for possum and sweet cornbread recipes. I think I'm going to have to find another thread as this one has been hijacked. :tsk:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I build my own golf clubs out of hand selected components and I make my own BBQ rubs out of hand selected spices but that alone does not make me a better golfer or BBQ'er.

One day I was a single golfer placed with a twosome and on the first tee one guy pulls out his driver and said I just paid $399.00 for this new Taylormade driver and hits a good shot around 250 yards. The other guy pulls out his driver and says I just paid $275.00 for this new Adams driver and hit a good shot landing close to his friends ball.

I pull out my driver and said I built this one two years ago for $125.00 and hit a good shot landing close to the other two balls.

It ain't the arrow it's the Indian. That applies to both golf and BBQ IMHO.

I may be totally wrong here, but my guess is that the majority of BBQ rubs out there are not developed in conjunction w/ chemists & scientists. Rather, someone looking to start a product line submits their ingredients & proportions to a co-packer for packaging/bottling. They get paid to bottle your recipe, not re-develop your original idea/recipe. Sure, it may get tweaked by the creator after tasting a batch made with the co-packers quality but I haven't heard of the majority of rubs using food scientists before getting their product on the market.

Am I totally off on this ?? :confused:

I did/do it like this, but it sounds like I may be the only one. Co-packers, or outsiders have no input so if it does not do well, I have myself to blame.

Nice topic and I am enjoying reading the responses.

First off let me offer and apology to CaseyDog, I tried not to get you in the thread but I should have known ahead of time that your name would come up. As for the word "Only" I did read it, but I didn't miss quote you and for that I'm sorry also.

I was merely posting the question about it because I wanted to see what the Brethren thought about this topic.

Thanks and sorry if I came off negative in any way, the intent wasn't to do so.

Silly farkers, it's just a language issue. :p My wife is a professional harpist, but she buys all her sheet music. It doesn't make her any less of a musician...she's just not a composer. It seems we're just missing a term for one who mixes and tests spices to create a perfect blend. I nominate "spicologist".

That is one Great comparison Muidaq. No other example is needed after that!
Oh and no worries Kennedyma. You had something important to say and you said it. Bravo!

Hmmmm, this and charcoal bag issue thread should get some kind of wooden spoon award.
What about this as a divining question.
If you were faced with two dishes of pulled pork, one cooked by someone who doused in rub and sauce shop bought and another with a hand made rub and sauce and both were delicious, would you rank one cook above another?

Add 1 TBS of raw McCormicks dry thyme to 1 quart of boiling water and boil until the thyme is done. You just cooked a commercial rub. Now you are a cook and you only used a commercial rub.

Here's my two cents worth, and Im sure thats all its worth if that.

Can you turn on a stove or start a fire and cook on it?
If the answer is yes, then you are a cook.
Weather your food is good or bad thats A whole other question. :becky:

All this reminds me of a time I was eating cake at my grandmother's. She was an awesome Southern cook. The cake was fantastic and I was positive it was some super secret family recipe. I asked her about it and she said "Oh, that's Duncan Hines, I never could get it better than theirs."

As for the rubs, sometimes I like to make my own, other times I don't feel like farking with it and I'll use some of the awesome products available from other Brethren. :thumb:

First off let me offer and apology to CaseyDog, I tried not to get you in the thread but I should have known ahead of time that your name would come up. As for the word "Only" I did read it, but I didn't miss quote you and for that I'm sorry also.

I was merely posting the question about it because I wanted to see what the Brethren thought about this topic.

Thanks and sorry if I came off negative in any way, the intent wasn't to do so.

We're cool. I was a miffed at first, but I'm already over it. It's too small of a deal to stew over.

CD

boy, you are a liveral. hinging your outlandish acts on the merit of 1 word.

reminds me of something....

ubsurd even suggesting someone who uses ONLY commercial rubs isn't a cook.

where do you think the "home-made" rub recipes come from?

now, if your talkin' cooking hundreds of ribs/butts/brisket/whatever, in order to perfect your own, well...you first and please post.

Might do well to consider:

Rubs mostly flavor the bark.... for the meat, I inject, and ALWAYS create my own.

Kinda surprised that slipped by here.

I cook over I cook over 1k of pork each year this is the only thing i use
images

Soooo - If Plowboy only uses Plowboy's commercial rubs is he still a cook?
If I use Plowboys old cooker & his rubs am I a cook, too?

Let's look at some of the things I do/don't do -
  1. I don't pre-heat my smoker before putting the meat in.
  2. I use an electric hot-plate underneath the charcoal to light it and keep it going
  3. I don't measure my rub mixtures so they are never the same twice
  4. I don't really like ribs - I prefer Shoulder or Loin
  5. I don't like mt steak "rare" or "medium rare" (perfectly cooked-as they say on FN) I like mine "medium"
  6. I use beans in my chili?
:sick:

Now that's disgusting right there!

I make a killer salt and pepper seasoning mix!

Guess that puts me right there with all the homemade rub guys.:rolleyes:

Gheesh Ron, I bet you don't even mold your own pellets ... what a slacker. :tsk:

I have to disagree. I read somewhere in the archives that there was a rumor about Ron's pellets. It seems the rumor was about how, 3 days before the full moon, he would start eating cheese and sawdust. Then on the evening of the full moon he would spend a few hours staring at the coffee beans to get in the mood. Then, at midnight during the full moon (and this is the part that made it click for me) he would put on a squirrel outfit and hop around the yard pooting pellets. Not saying it's true, but...ya know?

I knew it!

On topic. I make my own rubs, but I don't devote myself to it. I am sure many commercial rubs are more well thought out and executed than mine, but mine make me happy. Hope everybody is OK with that...

I cook in something folks call a pit, but its more like an oven than a hole in the ground. I use foil sometimes. And there's more....

BUT AT LEAST US BRETHREN DON'T GO TO CHILI'S FOR Q!

If one of you owns Chili's, I am not sorry.

Being a producer of commercial products, this is the way that I look at the whole "a cook" or "not a cook" situation with the use of "only" commercial products. When it comes to cooking, we all crawl before we walk. For instance there is a big difference, potentially, between a chef in a 5 star restaurant and someone who only cooks for their own family in their own kitchen. Yet, one would argue that they are both cooks. The only difference is the amount of cooking knowledge and expertise each individual has. Also, even the best chefs will tell you that when they come across a product that someone else makes that they could make but, they either believe is better than theirs or is close in quality to theirs and saves them time in the kitchen, they will use it. Also, with all the available products there are on the market, I find that alot of them inspire cooks to try something new. If a person only uses Commercial rubs I don't fault them. At least they are actually cooking in their own kitchen. To me, that's what matters the most. People cooking for themselves and their families.

And on a personal side note, I do all my own production and formulation of my products but, I know alot of people that don't have any choice but to go through a co-packer to get their products made. Just because they go through a co-packer does not mean their products are evil scientific creations. One thing almost all co-packers have in common is that they listen to what their customer wants and in the end, the customer has the say of what goes into the product. Not all chemicals are evil and in fact most of them are completely natural.

Back