Commercial Rubs = Not a cook????

Agreed!:thumb: And just because you make your own rubs does not mean you truly understand how to properly pair spices to create an optimal blend. Sure you can throw some common ingredients together which may taste fine but there is MUCH more to creating a top-notch rub than that. We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen.

And I thank you for doing that. I gladly support companies like yours not only because of the product but because of your passion.

Agreed!:thumb: And just because you make your own rubs does not mean you truly understand how to properly pair spices to create an optimal blend. Sure you can throw some common ingredients together which may taste fine but there is MUCH more to creating a top-notch rub than that. We commercial guys work with chemists and food scientists to hand select specific ingredients to produce a product you are not capable of doing in your kitchen.

That was my point, just put better! As I said, it would take me years to develope something on my own that even came close to what you guys already make, and y'all make it less expensive for me to boot.

I make my own rubs. I just haven't used the commercial stuff - not that I wouldn't.

Does that make me a more/better of cook then someone who uses commercial rubs? Well ....

Let's look at some of the things I do/don't do -
  1. I don't pre-heat my smoker before putting the meat in.
  2. I use an electric hot-plate underneath the charcoal to light it and keep it going
  3. I don't measure my rub mixtures so they are never the same twice
  4. I don't really like ribs - I prefer Shoulder or Loin
  5. I don't like mt steak "rare" or "medium rare" (perfectly cooked-as they say on FN) I like mine "medium"
  6. I use beans in my chili
I have a daughter who also uses beans in her chili. She likes her steak "done" (no pink or red - brown all the way through) She has no qualms to using "ready made spice mixes" and she has a Chef Certificate! So, is she a Chef? a Cook? or just a stove sitter?

What you use to produce your food and what documentation is not the deciding factor on what makes you a cook ... if you make good food that others also like - you are a cook. If you are the only one who can eat your food ........ :sick:

Plowboy's Yardbird goes GREAT on possum. ... Just sayin' ...

What would you know? You've never prepared a possum right. It's just kill it and cook it for you. Not the tender, loving, Kobe beef like treatment of a captured possum fed nothing but fresh corn and vegetables and allowed free run of the garden PLUS bed priveledges for a WHOLE YEAR that even the DOG doesn't get. Then there's the diamond studded...oh, nevermind.

Love and wet kisses,
The dog

At least the big corporations don't have a monopoly on possum and we can still get them free-range. The farmed ones are just too mild IMHO.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with commercial rubs ... However, I do have a bit of problem with Ryan's post

Just because someone makes their own rub at home does not mean they CANNOT make a good one. Just because they are not selling it DOES NOT mean they don't understand how to pair spices. Just because they don't "work with" chemists and food scientists does not mean they don't have that very same knowledge.

I will agree that most at home do not have the same knowledge or resources that a commercial venture has - but that does not mean they CAN'T or DON'T.

You have not been in my kitchen so you do not know what I am capable of doing in my kitchen.

Your last sentence is just as ludicrous as the one that said that someone using a commercial rub is not a cook. :doh:

Not disagreeing with you but I have one problem with your post. if I understand the above quote, you are speaking for others and not just yourself. No one has a right to speak for others but only for themselves.
Now if I misunderstood your words, and I very well may have, disregard my warning.
[/INDENT]

Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to put words in people mouths. That comment fit in the org. thread's context better. I'm not trying to speak for others just trying to stand up for commercial rub users.

BTW, I use both so I'm in no way trying to say commercial rubs or nothing. I was just shocked at the response that we/I many not be a cook.

Bottom line I was trying to say that I believe people who use pre-made rubs are cooks.

Silly farkers, it's just a language issue. :p My wife is a professional harpist, but she buys all her sheet music. It doesn't make her any less of a musician...she's just not a composer. It seems we're just missing a term for one who mixes and tests spices to create a perfect blend. I nominate "spicologist".

Doesn't matter if you use commercial or home made rubs, if you aren't a cook your BBQ ain't going to be any good no matter what you use.

I think I've got tomorrow's dinner all worked out: free-range possum cooked in bacon grease and seasoned with salt and pepper, some sweet cornbread to go with it and all washed down with some of Roastin' Ron's homegrown Chicago-style Kona coffee.

Being a "cook" has nothing to do with which ingredients you use, it matters what the end product is, and above all else - Consistency.

Anyone can accidentally come up with a great meal, those that do it on a regular basis are cooks.

If I had my way, I would grow my own crops & spices, pasture & butcher my own meats and just show the back of my long blonde hair *(cowgirl mod)

However that is not realistic. What is realistic is this:

Bulk spices are fresher, cheaper than pre-made rubs.
I can cover my 18 lb pork shoulder in any rub I want, without getting a second mortgage.

What the heck do ya'll do with these tiny arse containers they sell rub in?

Does using commercial rubs mean you are not a cook? NO
Does it mean you spend more money on rubs than I do? darn tootin

I agree that there is nothing wrong with commercial rubs ... However, I do have a bit of problem with Ryan's post

Just because someone makes their own rub at home does not mean they CANNOT make a good one. Just because they are not selling it DOES NOT mean they don't understand how to pair spices. Just because they don't "work with" chemists and food scientists does not mean they don't have that very same knowledge.

I will agree that most at home do not have the same knowledge or resources that a commercial venture has - but that does not mean they CAN'T or DON'T.

You have not been in my kitchen so you do not know what I am capable of doing in my kitchen.

Your last sentence is just as ludicrous as the one that said that someone using a commercial rub is not a cook. :doh:

Good point but you are twisting my words. I never said you can't make a good rub nor did I say you/they don't understand how to pair spices. I said "just because you make your own rubs does not mean you truly understand how to properly pair spices to create an optimal blend. ". Big difference there pal.

You are right in that I don't know what you have in your kitchen and should have said produce a product you are "probably" not capable of doing in your kitchen." My appologies if I affended you.

I bet you those eggs didn't taste nearly as good cooked in that cooking oil as they did in that bacon grease. I think we could add a corollary to this thread:

No lard or bacon grease = Not a cook! :becky:
Or a "coronary"... LOL....

I take my cholestorol medicine daily but I swear I don't know how the ol timers that cooked with straight lard, bacon grease, real butter, and fried dang near anything they could get a batter to stick on lived to be so old sometimes... And a lot of them were HEAVY smokers to boot... 3-5packs a day in some cases.

This has already been mentioned by others but I feel obligated to chime in. Whoever said it wasn't real cooking to use a commercial rub obviously makes their own rubs. Cool. But they then want to make their cooking sound more "real" by trashing others and trying to isolate themselves on the top of their theoretical mountain as "the best," or "the only way"

I was recently at a local hardware store when a sales guy came over to me as I was looking at a Big Green Egg. He said "That is the only way you can cook a good turkey." Me being a diehard weber kettle man, disagreed. This led to an interesting conversation. What I took from the talk is we all want to think the our method is "the best." Myself included. There are so many variables though. Quality of meat, technique, outside temp, seasoning, timing, quality of heat source, smoke wood quality, etc...... Bottom line. We humans are mainly filled with hot air and like to speculate and try to talk ourselves to the top.

This is a fantastic website. What I like most is when people share techniques and methods of cooking to INFORM. For instance, I now love cooking chuckies and have never seen a recipe in a cookbook for smoked, pulled beef. I have been informed without being talked down to by several great threads on the subject. Occasionally people seem to want to stir the pot with isolating methods as "good" or "bad" or "real" and "poser." Those don't seem to make constructive posts.

I just joined this board because I felt is was a good place to come and get help with BBQ and to hang with some peeps who have the same interests as myself. I now am not sure of that.....
You joined the right place there is no question there and I hope you stick around with us. To me there is no right or wrong in BBQ....its the end product that you put out which makes all the difference. It shouldn't matter how you got there or what rub, wood, process or type of smoker you use.

Back